Author Topic: riding scooters down the sidewalk  (Read 14332 times)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
riding scooters down the sidewalk
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:59:43 AM »
Hi all - I saw this recent Slate article about alternative sidewalk transportation methods. I personally walk 2+ miles home and wouldn't mind a faster option. Has anyone tried any of these and do you have any comments as to ease of use, worthiness for the price, etc? I did see someone powering up a hill on a Solowheel the other day and was bemused. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2015/04/electric_scooter_reviews_testing_the_ecoreco_myway_boosted_dual_and_solowheel.html

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: riding scooters down the sidewalk
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:31:09 AM »
They're awfully expensive for what they are.

See if you can find one used for half price by someone who thought it'd be awesome and it wasn't. :)

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:56:43 AM »
I'd think a bicycle would be more useful for the dollar for most people. I do see a substantial number of people around here using kick scooters though; it seems like they move at about one-and-a-half to two times the speed of a pedestrian. So I guess some people must get some utility out of them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:58:56 AM by vhalros »

pyyj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Scooters are a great accessory for public transit, easy to fold up and take on the bus/train and allowing a quick scoot from your stop to your final destination. Otherwise, I don't really see the point.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »
These rank high in the silly toys category from where I'm sitting.  I don't see anything approaching the utility or low cost of a bicycle.

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
These rank high in the silly toys category from where I'm sitting.  I don't see anything approaching the utility or low cost of a bicycle.

+1.  These all look more gimmicky than useful to me.  A standard bicycle beats them all, hands-down.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »
There are a number of trips I do walking instead of bicycling simply because the bike is too cumbersome during some point of the journey.  Scooter might work better if it folds up small enough.  At one time I tried roller blades (with my shoes in a backpack).  I quickly discarded that concept as it proved to be a big flop pretty much all the way around.  Rollerblades are great fun but horrible transportation.  :-)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
There are a number of trips I do walking instead of bicycling simply because the bike is too cumbersome during some point of the journey.  Scooter might work better if it folds up small enough.  At one time I tried roller blades (with my shoes in a backpack).  I quickly discarded that concept as it proved to be a big flop pretty much all the way around.  Rollerblades are great fun but horrible transportation.  :-)

I'm trying to imagine the faces of my coworkers if I rollerbladed into work... I'm pretty clumsy and that would be fairly dangerous, but it might be worth to try once.

That being said, I'm with BlueMR2. I'm about to move to a new apartment where I'm less than two miles from work (yay!) but in a third floor walk up with no bike storage (boo!). The stair cases are too narrow to comfortably bring a bike up and down every day. The scooters listed in the article are a little extreme but I do like the concept. Hmm... time to dig through my parent's garage to see if they still have my old Razor scooter.

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
I'm about to move to a new apartment where I'm less than two miles from work (yay!) but in a third floor walk up with no bike storage (boo!). The stair cases are too narrow to comfortably bring a bike up and down every day.

Why not lock your bike outside your apartment?  I don't know where you live, but here in Montreal, for example, it is not uncommon for people to simply lock their bike to whatever is available on the street in front of their residence.

Otherwise, it sounds like a folding bicycle would work well - they fold in half and are generally quite light, so it would be easier to bring it up and down the stairs.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
I like this article but it's got one line that's a pet peeve for me where it talks about how "Maybe you just don’t fancy an exercise session at the end of a long, wearying day, and thus prefer a much lazier means of propulsion."

Like, I hate this oft-repeated idea that we work sooooo hard, and our jobs are soooo exhausting. Like, what, do you work in the freaking salt mines? Are you harvesting in the fields for 11-hour days? If you're able-bodied and you white collar job is leaving you physically exhausted you need to figure out how to fix your life. It's related to the idea that we need convenience products and services because omg we're all so freaking "busy".

I understand the "lazier" bit makes it a bit tongue-and-cheek, but still.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »
Around here, locking a bike up on the street over night means it will probably disappear within a year. Continually being exposed to weather will also decrease the lifetime of various components. Although you could just tolerate these as additional costs.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
I like this article but it's got one line that's a pet peeve for me where it talks about how "Maybe you just don’t fancy an exercise session at the end of a long, wearying day, and thus prefer a much lazier means of propulsion."

Like, I hate this oft-repeated idea that we work sooooo hard, and our jobs are soooo exhausting. Like, what, do you work in the freaking salt mines? Are you harvesting in the fields for 11-hour days? If you're able-bodied and you white collar job is leaving you physically exhausted you need to figure out how to fix your life. It's related to the idea that we need convenience products and services because omg we're all so freaking "busy".

I understand the "lazier" bit makes it a bit tongue-and-cheek, but still.

Particularly since getting the physical activity in is likely to make the person LESS exhausted than they would be without it (something I use to motivate myself, since I'd certainly rather slump in my office chair, then slump in my car, then slump on my couch, instead of just 2/3 with a bike in the middle ;).

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »
Regarding the "just ride a bike" comments: Actually this is addressed in the article, where the scooters are evaluated on how well they solve the "last mile" problem when public transit doesn't *quite* get you to your destination.

In my own case, I fully agree I should bike the 2+ miles. I'm not much of a cyclist. It's a character flaw.

And I can't truthfully say that I can see myself buying one of these, at these prices - but I'm still curious if anyone here has experience with them or something like them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
The thing is, you could pick up a total beater bike for nearly nothing, lock it up outdoors all day at the exact location your public transit drops you off, and use it to get home more quickly.  It barely has to function for such a short distance.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
My kids have regular Razor scooters (30$ a pop) and lust after the electric ones that cost 100-200$. Scootering up hills sucks, so if you have a hilly walk a little electric assist would be nice. They're pretty fun.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
The thing is, you could pick up a total beater bike for nearly nothing, lock it up outdoors all day at the exact location your public transit drops you off, and use it to get home more quickly.  It barely has to function for such a short distance.

I actually do own a bike - a 75-lb monster of an e-bike, inherited from DH when he switched it out for a real bike. I do commute on it sometimes, but not often. The thing that really keeps me from biking is the helmet. It's so exasperating to have to do your hair three times a day instead of just once.

But, you gave me an idea. I always take the bus *to* work, because the schedule is predictable. I usually walk home, because the bus is a nightmare (it once took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get home. yeah, 2+ miles. you can see why I say fuck it and just walk). But I don't have the "last mile" problem; I have only a couple of blocks to walk on each end. So, theoretically, I could walk the bike to the stop, put it on the bus's bike rack, and walk it to work, so no need for a helmet - but then I could ride the bike home. That might just possibly work and would require only two hair sessions.

Before you all laugh at me, I swear I do not have an elaborate hairstyle - I just have a lot of hair that takes a lot of wrangling.

Also, I should add that the bus is free through my employer, so that's not part of the equation.

I will think about it. Thanks, GuitarStv. :)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
A 75lb ebike exceeds the bike rack limits in the Seattle metro area by "a lot."

If you're looking to get rid of it or refurb it, though, I do such things...

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »
A 75lb ebike exceeds the bike rack limits in the Seattle metro area by "a lot."

If you're looking to get rid of it or refurb it, though, I do such things...

Oh wow, good thought. I just asked DH and I was totally wrong, the bike is only 50 lbs, which turns out to be just under the limit. Still a pain to horse it into position, though, I'm sure.

[edited: clarity]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:46:25 PM by Cressida »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:53 PM »
You really don't want to be trying to rack an ebike on a bus.  The whole point of the "e" in ebike is that you can ride it the long distances you might otherwise use a bus for.  How long is your commute?

They're heavy, often somewhat weirdly balanced (especially if home built - I'm totally guilty of this on my builds), generally have external wires hanging around, and just aren't suited to bus abuse.

If you're going to bus and bike, you want a light, simple, bulletproof bike with nothing hanging on it when you rack it up.  If you're going to bike the distance, there's nothing wrong with an ebike.  Which model is it, out of curiosity?

Have you considered building your own little electric scooter?  That's probably the best option...

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »
You really don't want to be trying to rack an ebike on a bus.  The whole point of the "e" in ebike is that you can ride it the long distances you might otherwise use a bus for.  How long is your commute?

They're heavy, often somewhat weirdly balanced (especially if home built - I'm totally guilty of this on my builds), generally have external wires hanging around, and just aren't suited to bus abuse.

If you're going to bus and bike, you want a light, simple, bulletproof bike with nothing hanging on it when you rack it up.  If you're going to bike the distance, there's nothing wrong with an ebike.  Which model is it, out of curiosity?

Have you considered building your own little electric scooter?  That's probably the best option...

The bike is an Ohm something or other. Nothing you've said is wrong - as I said upthread, my attitude toward cycling is pretty much a character flaw. Towing an e-bike 2 miles on the bus to avoid dealing with my hair is pretty fucking weird, no argument here. And I'm not saying I'm going to do it - it's just something that never occurred to me so I'm mulling it over. But thanks for the advice, it is noted.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 12:47:28 AM »
Ohm builds based on the BionX system, near as I can tell.  So it should actually be a fairly light pedal assist system without *that* much added weight.

If you can heft the bike around comfortably, try taking it.

If the concern is helmet hair... *shrug*  Don't wear a helmet.  It's illegal in King County, but you should be able to claim ignorance a few times, at least.  I'm not convinced anyone cares.  I only wear a helmet as a place to stick a high neon cover and because my wife prefers me to wear one.  Left to my own devices, I wouldn't wear it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 05:37:00 AM »
Your idea has some potential.  Have you tried doing the very short ride with a regular bike though?  If you've got something more in the 15 lb range you might not sweat as much, limiting the hair styling damage that goes on.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 06:48:23 AM »
I commuted on a kick scooter for a few months. In Houston, so no hills. An uneven sidewalk sent me flying and tore up my slacks. So I had to walk home, change, etc...

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
Around here, locking a bike up on the street over night means it will probably disappear within a year. Continually being exposed to weather will also decrease the lifetime of various components. Although you could just tolerate these as additional costs.

In Montreal, the locals solve this problem by owning bikes that no one would ever possibly want to steal.  Awful rusty looking things, BUT they do the job.

The thing that really keeps me from biking is the helmet. It's so exasperating to have to do your hair three times a day instead of just once.

Wait a minute... is THAT the real problem?  Your hair?  I am fighting really hard here to be understanding but.... my facepunching arm is getting restless.

There IS such a thing as a helmet-friendly hairstyle.  Or just suck it up and fix it every day?

You already own an ebike, so the solution to your problem is right in front of you.  Or just take the bus.  I might be misinterpreting, but I feel like you are seeking some fancy miracle gadget to ease your minor inconveniences, which is not really what this website is about.  Actually its exactly what this website is not about.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »
If you would wear a helmet for a bike, you ought to wear a helmet for any of the things listed in the article too. They're going the same speed or faster and you're just as likely to fall off them. So just don't wear a helmet if you don't want to.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »
GuitarStv - hills. It's a relentless uphill 90% of the way. I'm not strong, hence the e-bike.

ShoulderThing - ouch! Do you know how fast you were going?

Canuck - Again, I'm not really arguing. This is an area where I am not badass.

Sheepstache - If one were really going 20 mph as described in the article, I'd agree with you. But tooling down the sidewalk at 20 mph seems rude to me. Even 10 mph seems a little excessive. So I guess my judgment is that I personally wouldn't need a helmet.

Finally: Although I've allowed it to happen, I actually didn't intend for the thread to turn into a referendum on my commute choices, since that's not useful to anyone except me, especially since my commute choices are sort of idiosyncratic. Mostly I was looking for stories about scooter-like devices on the sidewalk. So, thanks ShoulderThing!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 11:27:35 AM »

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »
I used to walk to work, about 3/4 of a mile. I used a bike at first but it was too awkward and I had to carry it up stairs to the top of the building so it wouldn't get stolen. I ended up using a Razor scooter and loved it. Super portable and made me just that much faster on my way to work! This was in Korea so people looked at me funny but they looked at me funny even when I didn't have a scooter!

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:16 PM »
Please dont ride a scooter, bike, etc... on the sidewalk. Use the bike lane or the side of the road... please.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
Please dont ride a scooter, bike, etc... on the sidewalk. Use the bike lane or the side of the road... please.

Not everywhere has bike lanes.  Or even usable shoulders.  And I try to avoid riding in traffic in areas where traffic is doing 60mph.  So, in those places, I'll very much use the sidewalk.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »

Not everywhere has bike lanes.  Or even usable shoulders.  And I try to avoid riding in traffic in areas where traffic is doing 60mph.  So, in those places, I'll very much use the sidewalk.

In some places it's illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk.  In other places bicycles have to yield to pedestrians on the sidewalk.  This is one of those things that varies a ton by locality.  Learn local law, follow it, and be safe.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
Got the hair problem solved:

(btw, your current hair probably does not look as amazingly wonderful as you think it does.  Just sayin'...)

http://www.amazon.com/California-Costume-Mens-Jumbo-Afro/dp/B00284B07I

http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Deluxe-Afro-Wig/dp/B007L015HO

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »
Got the hair problem solved:

(btw, your current hair probably does not look as amazingly wonderful as you think it does.  Just sayin'...)

I never said or implied that I think my hair looks amazingly wonderful. If you read my comments, all I said about my hair was that it is "exasperating."

Forum rule #1: don't be a jerk. Please follow forum rules.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
The Razor A5 scooter is awesome
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K3JUEI/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=78112475773&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17099974675150569124&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7ydzuifsrc_b

$65 and good for kids big and small, young and old. Folds up easy and carry it on the bus. If it gets stolen or forgotten, you're out $65, not $1200 for some yuppie skateboard with batteries ;)

There's a dude on Amazon (IIRC) who buys a new Razor A5 at each major city he visits. He uses it to tool around the town. AT the end of the trip, he heads to a park and gives it away to the first nice kid he finds. Pretty cool.

Janie

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
Hi all - I saw this recent Slate article about alternative sidewalk transportation methods. I personally walk 2+ miles home and wouldn't mind a faster option. Has anyone tried any of these and do you have any comments as to ease of use, worthiness for the price, etc? I did see someone powering up a hill on a Solowheel the other day and was bemused. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2015/04/electric_scooter_reviews_testing_the_ecoreco_myway_boosted_dual_and_solowheel.html

Run!

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »

I wasn't too worried about using a scooter on the sidewalk as there were delivery guys zooming by on their mopeds, using the sidewalks as short cuts around traffic.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

I wasn't too worried about using a scooter on the sidewalk as there were delivery guys zooming by on their mopeds, using the sidewalks as short cuts around traffic.

I believe I posted this somewhere else around here, but there are two types of people who ride bikes in my town. You see some people in jeans and a baseball cap with backpacks. These guys ride on the sidewalks and no one seems to care. These are mostly day laborers commuting to and from jobs, but they always ride so slowly and are so chill. They'll easily get out of the way of pedestrians and will happily hop off their bikes and walk for a bit if they see a crowd coming, then hop back on. No one ever gives them trouble. This is the type of commuter I aspire to be.

We do have a handful of seemingly hardcore bikers who wear the appropriate cycling outfit and helmet. They ride at full speed in the center of the road, which is still 20mph less than the speed limit, worse on the handful of hills. It sucks because we're not a bike friendly town. Pedestrian friendly, yes - we have sidewalks and crosswalks everywhere. But for the cyclists who actually follow the rules, they get penalized by crazy car drivers.

So, moral of the story, I have to figure out how to stick to the sidewalks regardless of my mode of transportation (except for car, of course).

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
(Not quoting anybody because I don't want to imply that it's an attack on anyone in particular)

Just the other day I was driving somewhere, pulled up to a stop sign, checked for vehicles (in the lane) and pedestrians (on the sidewalk close to the crosswalk)... and then almost ran over some dumbass careening down the fucking sidewalk on a bike!

Whiny cowards might think that riding in the street like they're supposed to is too scary, but statistically, they're way more likely to be t-boned by a car coming out of a driveway or side street than they are to be rear-ended by someone coming up from behind in the same lane. After all, if you're a cyclist who do you think is more likely to hit you: somebody who can't see you and doesn't expect you to be on the sidewalk (because it's against the law!), or somebody who's been staring at your ass which is directly in front of them?

If the law says to ride in the street and you're riding in the sidewalk instead, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM AND ARE MAKING ALL CYCLISTS LESS SAFE.

I actually do own a bike - a 75-lb monster of an e-bike, inherited from DH when he switched it out for a real bike. I do commute on it sometimes, but not often. The thing that really keeps me from biking is the helmet. It's so exasperating to have to do your hair three times a day instead of just once.

But, you gave me an idea. I always take the bus *to* work, because the schedule is predictable. I usually walk home, because the bus is a nightmare (it once took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get home. yeah, 2+ miles. you can see why I say fuck it and just walk). But I don't have the "last mile" problem; I have only a couple of blocks to walk on each end. So, theoretically, I could walk the bike to the stop, put it on the bus's bike rack, and walk it to work, so no need for a helmet - but then I could ride the bike home. That might just possibly work and would require only two hair sessions.

Before you all laugh at me, I swear I do not have an elaborate hairstyle - I just have a lot of hair that takes a lot of wrangling.

Okay, so I understand having to fix your hair twice (once after arriving at work, and a second time after arriving back at home), but what's the third time?

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »
Okay, so I understand having to fix your hair twice (once after arriving at work, and a second time after arriving back at home), but what's the third time?

haha, I honestly was not expecting this thread to resurface. I was also counting the time before I put the helmet on in the morning, when I have to blow-dry my hair and then pull it back so it stays out of my face. The friction of putting the helmet on and taking it off messes up that do, so I then have to re-do it when I get to work.

(And yes, I do have to blow-dry. I let it air-dry on weekends, and it takes literally two hours. I can't walk around my office with long wet hair; it would look unprofessional.)

I know everyone thinks I am a little silly, and maybe I don't disagree, but I'm not so proud that I can't admit a few weaknesses.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »
I was also counting the time before I put the helmet on in the morning, when I have to blow-dry my hair and then pull it back so it stays out of my face. The friction of putting the helmet on and taking it off messes up that do, so I then have to re-do it when I get to work.

(And yes, I do have to blow-dry. I let it air-dry on weekends, and it takes literally two hours. I can't walk around my office with long wet hair; it would look unprofessional.)

I know everyone thinks I am a little silly, and maybe I don't disagree, but I'm not so proud that I can't admit a few weaknesses.

So why not just fix it once, at work (including the blow-dry)? Stick the helmet on directly over whatever the state of your hair is after getting out of bed in the morning.

Or change your hair style. This one would probably be pretty easy to deal with!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »
I was also counting the time before I put the helmet on in the morning, when I have to blow-dry my hair and then pull it back so it stays out of my face. The friction of putting the helmet on and taking it off messes up that do, so I then have to re-do it when I get to work.

So why not just fix it once, at work (including the blow-dry)? Stick the helmet on directly over whatever the state of your hair is after getting out of bed in the morning.

I think you're assuming I would shower at work? We do have those facilities but it seems a little silly to me since the ride is so short and there's no chance of my working up a sweat. But, I guess it's not impossible that I could stick the helmet on my freshly-showered head and blow-dry at work. That actually would be quite a bit less annoying. Hm...

Or change your hair style. This one would probably be pretty easy to deal with!

Oh, I've been tempted. One of my siblings has hair similar to mine and did cut hers quite short recently, but ended up being dissatisfied with it and grew it out again. Just a data point.

And, you're right about bikes on the sidewalk. I think it's *possible* to do it without being a jerk, but most people don't.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!