Author Topic: Rice Cooker?  (Read 20519 times)

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
Re: Rice Cooker?
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
Asian wife here, so it's kind of essential. 

Ours is a $125 Tiger model (made in Japan only, pls).  JNP-1500 or JNP-1800 for the kitchen appliance curious. 

Perfect rice every single time and it stays perfect all day (though I usually unplug it and let it sit and remain warm for at least 1 more meal.  The kind of rice that people compliment you on, and ask where it's from.  And profess their love for rice. 

We use it roughly every other day (family of 5).  We spend almost zero on dining out, and the rice cooker helps with that endeavor.  It even saves us serious cash when we do hit the Chinese take out place on the corner (accessed by walking, of course).  We spend $9-10 for 2-3 pounds of meat and skip the rice or noodles.  Before I leave the house, I fill the rice cooker and press "rice cook" and walk back in the house 20-30 minutes later to perfect rice. 

It's not quite up there on the importance level with my laptop or the dishwasher, but pretty close.

White rice? Brown rice? Both? If both, what portfolio allocation to each type of rice?

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
Asian wife here, so it's kind of essential. 

Ours is a $125 Tiger model (made in Japan only, pls).  JNP-1500 or JNP-1800 for the kitchen appliance curious. 

Perfect rice every single time and it stays perfect all day (though I usually unplug it and let it sit and remain warm for at least 1 more meal.  The kind of rice that people compliment you on, and ask where it's from.  And profess their love for rice. 

We use it roughly every other day (family of 5).  We spend almost zero on dining out, and the rice cooker helps with that endeavor.  It even saves us serious cash when we do hit the Chinese take out place on the corner (accessed by walking, of course).  We spend $9-10 for 2-3 pounds of meat and skip the rice or noodles.  Before I leave the house, I fill the rice cooker and press "rice cook" and walk back in the house 20-30 minutes later to perfect rice. 

It's not quite up there on the importance level with my laptop or the dishwasher, but pretty close.

White rice? Brown rice? Both? If both, what portfolio allocation to each type of rice?

I was doing 3:1 or 4:1 white to brown for a while.  The wife has put that to an end unfortunately.  3:1 or 4:1 is barely noticeable to my novice American taste buds, but she claims it ruins the whiteness of the white rice (sounds racist if you ask me).  The partial brown rice mix requires a tiny bit extra water. 

I've done 100% brown rice and it works well, too.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
Thanks RoG.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
An asian professor I knew personally mentioned that there are more microchips used in rice cookers over the world, than in computers. She was a highly intelligent person (also planning on early retirement as well) and so remembering thinking that the rice cooker must be useful if she uses it.  We have little space in our kitchen for gadgets plus we don't eat enough rice to justify, but if those don't apply it seems a very efficient way to cook rice.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 08:50:46 PM »
Used my rice cooker tonight to make chicken, rice and sweet potatoes for my dog.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:12 PM »
I'm on our 3rd of 4th rice cooker. We buy ours at Target, so you know they are not very expensive. I LOVE the way I have perfect rice every time and I don't have to watch it. I can turn it on, measure out rice, pour myself a glass of wine and sit down to relax in the living room while the rice merrily cooks away in it's little auto-cooker.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
Huh. Sparks and smoke and fire appeared when I tried to plug in my rice cooker yesterday, so that went in the garbage. I've now done the whole pot-stove thing twice and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Guess I'll be doing that now.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2015, 08:33:36 AM »
Benefit of a rice cooker to me: edible rice. I cannot manage to cook rice on the stove properly. Yes, I know it's easy. No, I still can't manage to do it.

Sad thing is, I don't have a rice cooker :(