Author Topic: Rice and bean recipes and how to  (Read 4042 times)

Kansaslover5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rice and bean recipes and how to
« on: August 05, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »
So when you guys talk about eating rice and beans are you just using a crock pot for the beans, throwing in onion, green bell pepper and spices and then adding in cooked rice later? I assume this is what everyone means.

I was thinking of doing that and then putting it all in a big bowl in the fridge to reheat and eat as necessary. Does anyone use a rice cooker for the rice? Is that the most economical way? Also, where do you get big bags of dried beans? The stores I've been too only sell one pound bags.

I guess I'm just looking at some very practical how-to's on how folks do this rather than just the standard, "eat rice and beans to save money" line. I wanted to know the details. Thanks.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
Re: Rice and bean recipes and how to
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
I use a pressure cooker to cook dried beans. I use Badia Tropical spice blend to season it. Sometimes, I cook chicken in the pressure cooker first and then use the resulting chicken broth to cook the beans. I throw rice in the cooker and use seasoning on that too. Even a cube or two of chicken bouillon will add a nice flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
I use an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker, actually safe) to cook my beans. It also cooks rice.

I can cook garbanzo beans (chickpeas), pinto beans or black beans from dry to perfect in about 30 minutes of cook time. I cook a bunch of garbanzos at once and then freeze them in certain portions (I use it for a Spanish bean soup and a Thai curry). For the black and pinto, I'm generally making either Refried or spicy black beans and just make enough for the recipe. Rice cooks faster.

I buy beans in bulk at my local WinCo.

acinaps

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 07:26:32 AM »
There is a nice big thread about rice and beans recipes here that you may want to check out.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
I use a pressure cooker to cook dried beans. I use Badia Tropical spice blend to season it. Sometimes, I cook chicken in the pressure cooker first and then use the resulting chicken broth to cook the beans. I throw rice in the cooker and use seasoning on that too. Even a cube or two of chicken bouillon will add a nice flavor.

Do you mean you make chicken broth out of the drippings and then use that?  or do you just use whatever is left in the bottom of the pot? 
People do not know the extent of my non-cooking abilities...sorry if this sounds too basic.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
Pressure cooker here, too. We started with a stovetop PC but LOVE the Instant Pot, specifically the 6 qt. Duo Plus model. It is an automatic, set it & forget it pressure cooker & also replaces a rice cooker, slow cooker (crockpot), steamer, & can sauté. See the following websites for great explanations, videos, & recipes: dadcooksdinner.com, hippressurecooking.com.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »

Do you mean you make chicken broth out of the drippings and then use that?  or do you just use whatever is left in the bottom of the pot? 
People do not know the extent of my non-cooking abilities...sorry if this sounds too basic.

It's a good question. I've cooked a whole bunch of chicken thighs in my Instant Pot with no water added at the beginning, and the chicken gives off enough juices to bring the pot up to pressure. At the end, you have 2-3 cups of very chicken-y broth. It's great to cook rice and/or beans in.
For chicken breasts or other lean meats, you'll need to add a cup of water at the beginning of cooking to get enough steam to bring the pot up to full pressure.

GuinnessPhish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
Black beans: I buy them in bulk at either the local mexican grocer or walmart (before we moved), and now I do costco or a restaurant supply store. Although lately we haven't done many beans, so we buy the 1lb bags now, but they're HUGELY more expensive. You don't want super old beans though- be sure to store with NO AIR (ie, press all the air out of a ziplock or similar) otherwise they won't soften as well when they cook.

Since getting my instant pot, I use that. Before, I would soak overnight and then boil on the stove. The soaking reduces cook time.

Rice we still buy at costco. 25lb bag of jasmine rice works out to like $0.52/lb.

We cook rice on the stove. Bring 2cups water to a boil, add 1 cup rice, let it come back up to a full boil (covered) and then reduce to a simmer for 20min cook time.

This is the no seasonings approach- I highly recommend adding flavor at every step possible. Chili powder and onion powder with the black beans as they cook, chicken brother in with the rice or salsa added after, stuff like that. And we put red salsa and salsa verde on *everything*. Easy way to get veggies in there, and flavor. Be sure to add salt to your meal before you serve it, and some fat (like butter or sour cream), because that's what punches up the flavor and helps you feel full from it.