Author Topic: reusing hair dye  (Read 4566 times)

remizidae

• Bristles
reusing hair dye
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
Has anyone ever saved and reused drugstore hair dye? I know the instructions say not to do so, but that's kinda exactly what they would say if they just wanted me to buy more hair dye. And I usually use only half the bottle, so it seems a shame to throw it away.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: reusing hair dye
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
Apparently I'm in a snarky mood today, so here's a website that might be helpful in the future: http://lmgtfy.com/

Less snarky - based on my quick google search, various factors apply, including if you've mixed it already, the color of the bottle, etc. Personally, I'm too cheap and lazy to dye my hair in general, so no experience. If you will be upset if it doesn't turn out well, I wouldn't bother.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Leftover-Hair-Dye-1.html

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »
Apparently I'm in a snarky mood today, so here's a website that might be helpful in the future: http://lmgtfy.com/

Less snarky - based on my quick google search, various factors apply, including if you've mixed it already, the color of the bottle, etc. Personally, I'm too cheap and lazy to dye my hair in general, so no experience. If you will be upset if it doesn't turn out well, I wouldn't bother.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Leftover-Hair-Dye-1.html

Well, thanks for the less bitchy portion of that answer.

Endersmom

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
If you only mix half the dye and half the developer I don't see why it wouldn't work, you should be able to save and then use the left overs next time. I would suggest if you decided to do this to do a test patch with the second bottle on some hidden roots.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
I don’t reuse, but I don’t use the whole amount at once since I have short hair. I get about 4-5 uses per package.  Just mix up a lesser amount (~1:1 dye:developer).  Recap the stock containers tightly, store in a cool dark place.

I’ve been doing this for years. I’ve never had a problem.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »
I don’t reuse, but I don’t use the whole amount at once since I have short hair. I get about 4-5 uses per package.  Just mix up a lesser amount (~1:1 dye:developer).  Recap the stock containers tightly, store in a cool dark place.

I've never done this but I think it would be ok if it's not mixed up. I have a stockpile of hair dye that I got for free, plus I have long hair so I use up most of the bottle.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »

I've never done this but I think it would be ok if it's not mixed up. I have a stockpile of hair dye that I got for free, plus I have long hair so I use up most of the bottle.

Yep, it’s fine if not mixed. I don’t think you could expect it to work if you stored it after mixing - there’s a reason the two components are kept separate in the kit.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
It is also a lot cheaper to get dye at the beauty supply store (like Sally’s). You can mix just the amount you want in a glass measuring cup or little bowl. Use the correct “developer” for the dye (it says on the box or a person at the store can help you).