Author Topic: Returning Gifts without Receipts  (Read 5408 times)

njh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Returning Gifts without Receipts
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »
I got married recently-- at the house with twelve people total.  We sent an announcement email around, and specifically asked for no gifts (and we're not registered, anyway).  We've been sent a bunch of gifts that we don't want or need.  Some are not worth much and difficult to figure out where to return anyway (ie dish towels) so we'll probably freecycle that stuff. 

But we got a standard kitchenaid mixer ($269 from kohl's, but $230 elsewhere), as well as a cover for it.  The mixer is from kohl's, but they only provide store credit.  I've only gotten offers of about $100 from craigslist responders for this unopened mixer.  Does anyone know where we can return this for cash?  Alternatively, we might try to sell it through amazon if anyone has had good experiences with that.

Thanks in advance.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
Re: Returning Gifts without Receipts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
Since you mentioned it, Amazon is a good choice- prices are good and commissions are decently low. Simply set your price lower than anyone else's and wait. The disadvantages are thay you have to wait a while sometimes I recently sold an audiobook that I had listed for two months. In addition, it can take over 2 weeks to get the funds all the way through amazon into your bank account. If this sounds acceptable, go for it. Simply read all the provided information, and it is fairly simple.

My 2c.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
Is there an expiration date on the store credit? Because Kohl's is a big store, it's probably worth it to wait it out until you need to buy something they have.

freelancerNfulltimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
Do you already have a mixer? Do you do any baking? Could you really use $100? I was gifted a KitchenAid Mixer and I love it. I use it all the time. If you bake at all, it's a very useful appliance.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
But we got a standard kitchenaid mixer ($269 from kohl's, but $230 elsewhere), as well as a cover for it.  The mixer is from kohl's, but they only provide store credit.

Here's one option: return it to Kohl's, getting a gift card to Kohl's (for ~285-290 with the taxes you'll get back on it), then sell the gift card.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gift+card+sell

PlasticJungle is offering "up to 80.85%" meaning you could get ~$228 cash.  You may be able to find a better deal as well (I just picked one to get sample numbers, use that google search to check out several places and see which will give you the best deal).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »
I love my KitchenAid Mixer-it is a workhorse and they allegedly will outlive most people

If you do any baking then keep and use it.

If not, I would get a store credit-surely there are some things you can buy from there? I'm not American and don't know what Kohls sells but there must be something you can stock up on

A440

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »
I am not much of a Kohl's shopper but do still have some gift card money left over from stuff I returned after my baby was born.  My plan has been to wait for those $10 off coupons that come in the mail and then go buy $11 of stuff.  This has been thwarted by being too busy.  My plan B would be to stock up on socks/underwear.  You could also try the craigslist barter section--maybe someone would like to trade you for something you are more interested in.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »
Dude, keep the mixer.

Or (better for me) I need to buy a wedding present for a friend. What color is it and do you want to make a deal? :)

njh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I should have been clear-- we already have a mixer, better in fact than the standard one we were gifted, and we use it all the time.  We cook all of our food from scratch, so it is indeed very useful, but we of course do not need a second one.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »
I see that Plastic Jungle has been mentioned.  Great option.

You can also ask around and see if anyone you know shops at Kohls.  I had a very similar situation and I returned a gift Keurig (which I would have had to pay to ship to my overseas home!) to Kohls.  My mom bought the credit from me at nearly full face value (I rounded down to a cleaner dollar amount for her since she gave me cash) because she shops there on occasion and the GC never expired.