Author Topic: Retrieving photos from old dead laptops  (Read 4475 times)

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Retrieving photos from old dead laptops
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

We have a few old basic laptops (Compaq Presario 700, HP Pavilion dv6700, and a Macbook (circa 2005?)) that are no longer functional. 

We would like to retrieve the photos off of them, and finally get them out of the house.  Is this something that I can tackle myself or should I drop them off to our local IT shop and have them take it on?  The photos are very important to my DH, so I do not want to mess this up.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

radram

• Pencil Stache
Re: Retrieving photos from old dead laptops
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »
Sandy,

Assuming it is still a functioning drive, this is definitely a DIY project.  You will need a piece of hardware, but the right one depends on which form of drive you have.  Here is a good article that talks about it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/182452/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc/

Taking it to an IT guy will most likely cost more than the device you will be buying.  It is a give a fish/teach to fish kind of problem.  I have never used the product the article recommends, but it is well reviewed on the amazon link in the article.

If the drive has failed, it is most likely beyond DIY, and can be VERY expensive (hundreds of dollars to get SOME of the dada back).

I think you should buy the  device, get your data back, then post and boast about your DIY skills.

Good luck

Radram

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »
Depending on the real model and age of that "Presario 700", this thread might be of use:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/recover-data-from-broken-computer/

Who knows... no matter the drive connector, the thread might be of use anyway.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 04:21:48 PM »
Thanks everyone - I will look into pulling out the hard drives tonight to see what I am dealing with - then hope I order the correct adapter/converter/enclosure (are these all the same thing?) 

I am sure I will have more questions - but I will post to update regardless!

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »
enclosure has the adapter built in these days don't they?

you just plug it into it and treat it like an external hdd

if it doesn't work, you could try freezing the hdd after you pull it out and try again? I heard that worked in the past, not sure about these new solid drives though

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »
Okay, I just took 5 minutes with YouTube, and 5 minutes later I have all three hard drives out.

(I am having a total headsmack moment that I have had these things piled up on a shelf for 10+ years...not realizing how simple it would have been to simply remove the drives and recycle the rest...but I digress.)

Okay, now none of them look like they have the same connector type (can you tell I have no idea what I am referring to!?) Based on the photos from I.P. Daley's linked thread, one appears to be a SATA drive, one has prongs (IDE drive), and the third (and oldest) has pins.  Would something like this be what I am looking for? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/coolmax-coolmax-2-5-3-5-5-25-ide-sata-to-usb-converter-cd-350combo-cd-350-combo/10180507.aspx?path=cf023f9ab42b4c15766ae6fdb4104a4den02 or this? http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?product=8032994&language=en-CA

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
Please post photos of the drives, both the connector ends and the labels. You're most likely right on two of the three, but the third is equally throwing me for a loop.

scapegote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »
I work on computer repairs and data backups/transfers is something I do daily. There should only be two types of drives, however some drives on laptops have this adapter that just needs to be pulled off. Take a look at the 2nd and 3rd drive and see if there is a small part that comes off where the "pins" are. Unfortunately for the IDE drive, the majority of the transfer cables you can buy are junk. The best reviewed one I've seen (and the one we use after having 3 other types come doa) is the SABRENT.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SATA-Drive-Converter-USB-DSC5/dp/B000HJ99DI

(Will also do the SATA drive)

If the data doesn't show up for one of the drives, or you hear any clicking or get drive errors then you should stop immediately. Don't freeze the drives, etc. Determine how much the photos are worth to you and consider sending out to a professional data recovery shop (most likely not found locally). The service can run anywhere from $250-2500 through my employer depending on the state of the drive. Attempting retrieval on a damaged drive could compromise the data that is there.

If you have any questions, please ask. Pictures would be helpful if you have questions about a specific drive.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »
laptops have an adapter that pulls off, scapegote beat me to saying it :D

if it isn't pulled off, it may be stuck inside the laptop bay. It threw me for a loop the last time I upgraded hdds, I was told it was the right model but the one I had was "bigger", I looked at it and found out that I could just pull it off and put it on the new one then put the combined item into bay. I think it is something to do with not using a cable ribbon like desktops have?

I don't know the correct term for it, but it is like a big lego block, it slides onto the end of the drive where it connects.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10x-New-Sata-HDD-Connector-Hard-Drive-Interface-for-Laptop-HP-DV2000-V3000/788791617.html something like that, just pull it off gently
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:41:54 PM by eyem »

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
Attached are images of the 3 drives (and if anyone has a hint as to how to add them directly into the post - I had no luck and my searches proved fruitless!)

Sincere thanks for walking me through this.

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »
Excellent!

Drive 2 did indeed have an adapter on it...problem solved!

You guys are awesome :D

Now to order the transfer cable and wait patiently until the end of the month/early November for it.  After sitting on this for YEARS, I am eager to get it done!

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZCJ8O/ref=s9_hps_bw_g147_i2 for the ide drive, I use something similar, not sure about this brand but I don't think that they change that much, they are fairly standard. There is one for the sata drive as well. Or get both and swap the two of same type in and out? I just get one for each drive since they were cheap enough.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:06:59 PM by eyem »