Author Topic: Copenhagen/Denmark cycling vacation research  (Read 2690 times)

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Copenhagen/Denmark cycling vacation research
« on: November 01, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
Looking for suggestions on a 7-10 day vacation cycling in/around Copenhagen for August 2015 to celebrate my Mom's 76th birthday. She is my cycling partner during clement weather, and while we have biked as much as 40 miles in a day, we are more of the 15-25 miles on a nice separated bike path.

She did spend a day in Copenhagen while on a Scandinavian cruise this year, and the cruise ship rented some bikes for a group trip, but it wasn't her ideal of local bike exploration.  We have been greatly impressed by YouTube/Vimeo clips highlighting the bike commuting infrastructure of Copenhagen, and combining biking with public transit for daytripping. 

We could do a luxury VBT bike tour, but we've had some great biking vacations with reasonably modest accommodations (comfy reading spot, no tv in the room, clean bed, Mom really prefers a private bath these days, but earlier in life had been an enthusiastic tent camper, so shared bath wouldn't entirely freak her). We have done several tours in the US (San Juan Islands, Katy trail, C&O canal and GAP, Finger Lakes, BikeVirginia, etc.) but never a European bike vacation.

I found mention of a Berlin-to-Copenhagen tour which sounded great, but a little too long at 2 weeks on the road, and only a day in Copenhagen. We have a standing invitation for Berlin at my godmother's comfortable house, so I thought perhaps of taking a few days in/around Copenhagen to bike, then putting her on a train/plane to Berlin while I head back to work.  Also found an informative webpage put out by Copenhagen Mike.  Other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Irishtache

• Stubble
Re: Copenhagen/Denmark cycling vacation research
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Hi. I would suggest you check out www.crazyguyonabike.com and look up journals for touring around Copenhagen. It's a great resource. Ken

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
Hmmm...I love Copenhagen.  I've only been twice, but my hubby has been lots (his mother grew up there).  Last time we were there, we stayed with his mom's best friend, and her husband (who was in his 60's) was headed off for a 10-day cycling adventure with his buddies.

This was >10 years ago.  I was impressed with the bicycling culture (our friends had two kids, and one car.  The wife biked 9k each way to drop off the toddler at child care before going to work).

Anyway, google found me this:

http://www.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-gb/denmark/plan-your-cycling-route-online

Which led to this:

http://cyclistic.dk/en/

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »
Thanks so much - These links are very helpful indeed.