Author Topic: Retirees: how do you introduce yourself?  (Read 11029 times)

desrever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Retirees: how do you introduce yourself?
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
Question for those of you living the early retirement lifestyle.

How do you respond when people you meet ask "what do you do?" Does it get awkward if you say retired? Are there responses you've learned to avoid?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Retirees: how do you introduce yourself?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »
Actually I rather enjoy the quizzical looks from folks when I say I am retired when its clear I am WAY younger than 65..:)

Actually it almost always leads to "well how on Earth did you do that?".. Then I share the gospel of the high savings rate!

Frank

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
I pretty much have the same line...

" I am basically retired, I still communicated occasionally from home and my wife goes in 20-25 hrs a week to do some accounting".

Thats it.  Then if they talk about there wants and stuff (this actually happened to me this morning when I was on stair climber guy is CFO for a drug company and wife works for Microsoft) i just say thats not what I want out of life. I just want to do what i want to do when I want to do it.  I have no problem with people that want to chase the next million but just wonder sometimes what will it cost them otherwise. But i think about it for about 5 seconds because freedom is what i want.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
IDK why, but people in my circles don't ask that.  But if they did, I'd probably say "I used to be a CPA and I worked in corporate accounting, but now I just stay at home." 

But I have little kids.  Even when they are older I'll still use the SAHP/homemaker line.  I am female, but I'd do the same if I were male.   (DH is a SAHP, actually)

I wouldn't be opposed to saying "I used to abc, but I saved enough and don't need to work anymore.  I like to spend my time doing xyz these days..."

I probably will not use the word retired.  I don't like it that much.  IDK, it just sounds like old people stuff.  I would say FI, though.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »
"As little as possible" - it usually gets a laugh.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
Not there yet but plan on something like 'got sick of my last job so I quit and am living of savings until I have to get another'.  The fact that I will hopefully never have to get another job doesn't need to come up

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
I'm not retired (although I could be), but I am between jobs.  When people ask, I talk about my volunteer work.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
Actually I rather enjoy the quizzical looks from folks when I say I am retired when its clear I am WAY younger than 65..:)

Actually it almost always leads to "well how on Earth did you do that?".. Then I share the gospel of the high savings rate!

Frank

This is what I CANNOT WAIT FOR in early retirement. :D

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
I hope it doesn't devolve as something that can be a substitute for the joke:  How do you know if someone is a _______?  Don't worry, they'll tell you! (e.g. vegan, marathon runner, etc.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
Question for those of you living the early retirement lifestyle.

How do you respond when people you meet ask "what do you do?" Does it get awkward if you say retired? Are there responses you've learned to avoid?

Luckily for me, this is considered a somewhat rude (or at least socially naive) question around here.  But I'd probably talk about whatever project(s) I'm working on at the moment.  It'll probably be "learning to X"

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
"As little as possible" - it usually gets a laugh.

Not RE but this has always been my answer to "What do you do?"

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
Depending on my mood and whether I give a crap about a continued relationship with the asker, I either say "I am taking a sabbatical, but I most recently did X," or I tell them I get by via the miracle of the loafs and the fishes: I loafs and I fishes and its a miracle I get by.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
I'm not yet FI, but I've thought about this question a lot.  My goal is to be the decently dressed (consignment and Costco clothes) eccentric who goes to the library, has elaborate gardens, with a nice house (paid for) who walks, runs, and takes the bus everywhere who people "wonder" about.

I think I'll just say, "I no longer have to work".... and then spread rumors that I'm actually a Kennedy, or the love child of a Carnegie.

Making people wonder is half the fun.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:19:13 PM by Trudie »

Spartana

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »
When I first quit my job (at 42) I told everyone I had quit my job with no plans to go back any time soon. Got very negative responses that irked the hell out of me so eventually just told friends and family I was just taking off work for a "little while". Just said I had saved a bit of money and lived frugally so wanted to do some other things while I was younger before going back to work at some later date. To neighbors or acquaintances I just said I was working from home - mainly so they wouldn't bug me to do things for them. I kept the ruse up for a few years and eventually, after much criticism from friends and family about not working, I just started telling them that I decided to retire permanently. Most thought I was either wealthy (I'm not) or sponging of the government (I'm not), and almost everyone though it was a big mistake and a total waste of my life.  The only questions I got where "what will you do all day" - as in "what will you do all day ya lazy good for nothing bum :-)!". Now, years later, but still a decade or more away from a more traditional retirement age, I just say I retired early but don't go into details unless asked.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »
I'm not really worried about what other people think, other than my father. I keep throwing tidbits of emotions his way as I lament not having enough time to hang out with them in their old age as much as I did when I was unemployed. My father is all for the FI, but not so sure about the RE. He's an overly cautious person who had to start anew in this country at the age of 30 so he'd be nervous for me giving up on my current career path. So if I get laid off, I will just tell him that I was taking a sabbatical for a while. They would love the extra attention I send their way so he will be happy.

For everyone else, I'm not so sure I have to be so careful. In recent conversations at work I have come to realize that there are several people in the same boat as me. I think some need to work a little longer because they have kids, but a lot of people are running the numbers to see if they can take voluntary severance packages or be able to weather an involuntary layoff. And we all realize that as mid-40 engineers we may not be as employable as the young-uns. So I think announcing I am retiring early will earn me a lot of high-fives at work.

I was laid off from another job a few years ago and announced to everyone I was taking the summer off to relax so that they wouldn't bug me about finding a new job. I thought I might be FI so I was treading lightly with what I told people. I really wasn't even looking for a new job, but my previous employer actually called me to return. It was so easy and fell on my lap. Who knows what I would have done if I hadn't been able to return...I would have probably tried to make my FIRE work.

I am much better prepared now if it should happen again. I casually throw around wanting a second-career that doesn't pay much (no one needs to know it could be unpaid). I recently am selling my house and moved to a smaller place mortgage-free. I let everyone know my reasons for doing so - to reduce expenses in case I get laid off. So unless people don't really believe me, they shouldn't be surprised when I announce FIRE in the near future.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:17:03 PM by Daisy »

Bookworm

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »
I'm not retired, but I don't work.  I just rattle off what I do...drive kids around, cook, clean, keep the books, teach kids, read, travel.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
I'll be using the SAHD line, since the goblins will be Tweens to teens when it happens, and likely still homeschooled.

Then again, I plan to quit my PT job soonish and only be a homemaker while DW makes the big bucks. I will tell my boss that I'm retiring, just to see the look on his face. In reality, retirement will still be 7-10 years off based on my latest projections.

EricL

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
I intend to describe myself as a Gentlemen of Leisure. I'm even going to put it on my business card.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »
I intend to describe myself as a Gentlemen of Leisure. I'm even going to put it on my business card.

Have you seen this thread?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/business-card-ideas/

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
We say that we are semi-retired because that is the truth.  We were 53 & 58 when we did this so did not get a ton of negative comments.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
I ran into an old colleague the other day and mentioned that PERHAPS I was thinking about taking a part time job. to which he answered.. "Yeah I wondered what you were living on since you retired?"...

I didn't enlighten him..:)

Frank

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 04:06:25 PM »
I'll be retired Nov 1st and I would love to...smile big and say I'm retired but I think I would be scared to do it. If you tell someone that and not at the proper retirement age to collect a pension, I would think you would be vulnerable to shady characters.

Even since I did my retirement paper work the first question people ask is what are you going to do next. Or do you have anything lined up. Or are you working on your resume. I use to answer honestly...Don't know, haven't thought about it yet, Haven't worked on my resume, nope I'm "RETIRING", don't plan on working. Since then people have been giving me nicknames of like "big money" or telling others I sleep on stacks of money. I don't care about the nicknames but I don't like people thinking I'm loaded, which I'm not.

I've ran the numbers and they work but it will be a somewhat tight budget. I might dabble in some side hustles but nothing serious.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »
How about "The Most Interesting Man in the World."

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
How about "The Most Interesting Man in the World."

Yeah.. that AND the most humble....:)

Frank

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Me:    What is this work of which you speak?

But I am now old enough to be retired (61)

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
I would just send it off to the best guy to describe the situation.

"I am the dude, man!"

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
Or, just have calling cards made with all of your personal information and instead of a job title draw some sort of little caricature -- a smiley face, leprechaun (personal favorite), or unicorn...

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
My first thought would be to say: 'I'm an Investor", but that just tends to give people a sense that you really just won the stock market lottery. Probably best to pick up a hobby and claim that to be your job.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »
How about "personal chef"?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
After 12 years of constantly monitoring this issue for innovative disruption, I finally have a new answer:

"I'm a personal lifestyle engineer".  Thanks, Wally!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »
If it even comes up, I just say, "I'm not really retirement age, but I'm out of the workforce for a while taking care of family." This is true, although I doubt I'll go back into the workforce other than my own creative side gigs.