Author Topic: Respirator or Masks for GoBag?  (Read 2680 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Respirator or Masks for GoBag?
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
Hey all,

Just curious, for those of you who have GoBags and/or are preppers: do you think it's more cost-effective stocking a bunch of N95 masks in your GoBags? Or do you prefer reusable respirators with changeable cartridges/filters?

mre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Respirator or Masks for GoBag?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
What are you trying to protect yourself from? 

N95 masks are good for dust and particulates.  Cartridge based respirators can filter all kinds of stuff, depending on the cartridges, but not in great quantities.  For high concentrations of contaminants/chemicals or lack of oxygen, you need a supplied air respirator. 

I consider myself to be fairly well prepared and I don't see a likely situation where they would be useful.  Although I have a couple N95s in my medical bag, in case of a bad medical incident (I'm a rural EMT).

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
What are you trying to protect yourself from? 

N95 masks are good for dust and particulates.  Cartridge based respirators can filter all kinds of stuff, depending on the cartridges, but not in great quantities.  For high concentrations of contaminants/chemicals or lack of oxygen, you need a supplied air respirator. 

I consider myself to be fairly well prepared and I don't see a likely situation where they would be useful.  Although I have a couple N95s in my medical bag, in case of a bad medical incident (I'm a rural EMT).

It's mainly for CERT (I just joined last year). Generally viruses/airborne and even transmitted by fluid. Seems like the N95 masks are fine and a respirator might be a bit overkill then.

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »
Our go bags are for wildfire evac, so we keep some N95s for the PM 2.5 particulate in smoke. I have been looking at some of the ones advertised for bike messengers in urban areas since they look way more comfortable than those scratchy white rubber band ones.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »
Our go bags are for wildfire evac, so we keep some N95s for the PM 2.5 particulate in smoke. I have been looking at some of the ones advertised for bike messengers in urban areas since they look way more comfortable than those scratchy white rubber band ones.

That makes sense - besides viruses etc, wildfires is probably the other big threat where I live. Which ones are you considering? Do you have a link?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
I've also considered the question of N95 mask versus some sort of half-face cartridge respirator for the BOB and the shelter in place kit. Eventually, I decided on N95 masks for the BOB. The deciding factor for me was the one-piece element of the N95 mask. If someone liberates my N95 mask, then I'd only be down one mask. If someone stole a portion of the half-face, I'd be screwed and blued.

I occasionally wear N95 masks for work, and I find the 3M or ULINE brands with the vent to be the most comfortable for long duration wear.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:56:10 AM »
Whatever you decide, don't run out of tinfoil.  You'll look awful silly without your hat.  :P

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
Whatever you decide, don't run out of tinfoil.  You'll look awful silly without your hat.  :P

This is more for pulling out of the GoBag when the kids are sick so my wife and I can wear around the house....LOL

I think my kids would be especially amused at me wearing a respirator... that is, until they ever happen to watch "Dark Knight Rises" :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:05:14 AM by jeromedawg »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 10:07:43 AM »
I've also considered the question of N95 mask versus some sort of half-face cartridge respirator for the BOB and the shelter in place kit. Eventually, I decided on N95 masks for the BOB. The deciding factor for me was the one-piece element of the N95 mask. If someone liberates my N95 mask, then I'd only be down one mask. If someone stole a portion of the half-face, I'd be screwed and blued.

I occasionally wear N95 masks for work, and I find the 3M or ULINE brands with the vent to be the most comfortable for long duration wear.

Where do you buy your masks from typically? Or is there a store that usually has them for cheap or with good sales/discounts? Amazon?

mre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »
It's mainly for CERT (I just joined last year). Generally viruses/airborne and even transmitted by fluid. Seems like the N95 masks are fine and a respirator might be a bit overkill then.

If we get a patient with a productive cough, we put a surgical mask on them to catch the big stuff and N95s on ourselves to catch any airborne droplets, so I'd say you are on the right track with the N95s.

You aren't going to stop everything with one, but by reducing the amount of a virus/bacteria you inhale, you reduce the chance of contracting it.

I was thinking about the usefulness of particulate filtering in certain circumstances.  In a "dust bowl" type scenario, or a building collapse in an urban area (think 9/11 aftermath), the dust that is in the air would be a big issue for people, but I still think a bunch of N95 masks would be better than a half face respirator, even with a few spare cartridges.  I live in the Northeast in a rural area, so neither of these is really likely for me to encounter.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »

If we get a patient with a productive cough, we put a surgical mask on them to catch the big stuff and N95s on ourselves to catch any airborne droplets, so I'd say you are on the right track with the N95s.

You aren't going to stop everything with one, but by reducing the amount of a virus/bacteria you inhale, you reduce the chance of contracting it.

I was thinking about the usefulness of particulate filtering in certain circumstances.  In a "dust bowl" type scenario, or a building collapse in an urban area (think 9/11 aftermath), the dust that is in the air would be a big issue for people, but I still think a bunch of N95 masks would be better than a half face respirator, even with a few spare cartridges.  I live in the Northeast in a rural area, so neither of these is really likely for me to encounter.

What are your thoughts on one of these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CTYTPF/

mre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
What are your thoughts on one of these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CTYTPF/

I looked around at that type of mask, and I didn't realize there was such a big market for them.  Seems like they are common in urban areas with poor air quality.

Activated charcoal will absorb a lot of different things, but a couple thoughts.

The masks need to be stored in a way that they aren't exposed to contaminants when not in use, or the charcoal will "fill up" with contaminants over time.  As with any of these filter type respirators, they can only help with low levels of contaminants.  Good for reducing minor symptoms, but not for working in areas with dangerous levels of contaminants.

I'd be more likely to go with a box of disposable masks (see link below), especially for a CERT team.  One mask with replaceable filters is enough for 1 person for an extended duration.  10 disposable masks is good for 1 person for an extended duration or 10 people for a short duration.  So you have more flexibility with the disposables.   

https://www.amazon.com/AMSTON-10-pack-Charcoal-Masks-NIOSH-Certified/dp/B075Y2B78F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1532053412&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=n95+charcoal+mask&psc=1

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!