Author Topic: Resources for learning how to make money blogging?  (Read 3507 times)

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
Resources for learning how to make money blogging?
« on: June 16, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »
I'm interested in supplementing my current income and eventually escaping my current job to become a SAHM/WAHM/blogger.  We plan to pay off our mortgage by the end of 2017 with our current income, so my timeline has some breathing room.

What are some good resources for learning to generate blog income?  I found Cat Alford's course but it's a bit spendy and I'd want to make sure it's a good value before jumping in. I'm enrolled in a different writing course right now (content also delivered online) and am not entirely happy with it.

I've seen several articles/blog posts on the mechanics of how to set up a blog - I guess I'm looking for more detailed information on how to assure income rather than just write for fun.

I probably won't have an exclusive focus on frugality or on typical mommy blog content, and I have a strong desire for privacy, so no family photos. I'm worried that finding advertisers that align with the content I'm interested in writing about may be hard to find, so I may have to focus more on the freelance/guest post aspects.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Resources for learning how to make money blogging?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 01:24:06 PM »
What I've learned is that you need to figure out WHAT your blog will be about and WHO your audience is.  Then start writing, either daily or every other day.  You need to build up an audience before you can even consider monetizing and even then there's no guarantee that you'll make any money.  Not trying to deter you, but there are millions of us out there who have been blogging for years and the majority of us do it because we love the subject we talk about.  If we had to do it for the money we'd all be better off working at a part-time job.

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »
You need to build up an audience before you can even consider monetizing and even then there's no guarantee that you'll make any money.
I get this, and I am not expecting to "get rich quick".  What did you do when you went about monetizing your blog, then?  I'm looking for specific advice.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
I started by using Amazon.  I blogged about birding in Florida (i.e. places I went, birds both common and not so common, good spots for different seasons, etc.) and after I started to get a following became an Amazon Associate.  I would put links to birding guides I used, binoculars, cameras, gear and anything else that would be useful to birders.  I easily made anywhere from $600-$800 a month.  It was a lot of work though and I gave it up a couple years ago because I just got burned out.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »
I think far too many people think, "oh I can just write some blogs and money will roll in."

Most bloggers that are even remotely successful have spent many hours and years writing. It's a job that pays pretty low per hour for nearly all but the most successful.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 08:11:14 PM »
Information on "making money blogging" can be a huge worm hole! 

Check out Pat Flynn at Smart Passive Income, Spencer Haws at Niche Pursuits and Tiffany Lambert at Tiffany Lambert blog.

Keep in mind that they are all making money on every single product that they recommend from hosting to domains to products.

It can be profitable but it is a lot of work.
Liz

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »
Decide on a niche. Being vague will get you nowhere if you're looking to monetize. Mine is FIRE for physicians and high earning individuals. I saw a void in an area that I cared about and I filled it. I enjoy writing, which obviously helps.

Build an audience before trying to monetize. A few hundred page views a day might get you a dollar a day. Aim higher.

Sign up for Google AdSense and Amazon affiliates. Place some ads and affiliate links.

Flex offers and commission junction give you the opportunity to apply to place commissioned affiliate links / ads. There are others.

You may be able to start placing private ads if you can show you have an audience and your advertisers cater to that niche.

Good luck!
-PoF

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
Do you have a message that's worth reading? Are you a good writer? Are you covering something new, or with a fresh angle, so it isn't yet another pale rehash of the same old stuff? Who is your audience? Are there affiliate/ad programs that fit with your audience? Are those products you feel good about hawking?

Those are some questions I'd think on, first. Personally I think blogs are kinda played out, and not a great source of income unless you've got something really special. But others may disagree.

Happy researching!

SIS

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
Blogs probably work best monetized with a back end business attached to it. Unless you find a unique voice that attracts hundreds of thousands of views each month it seems tough to really make much money.

My advice is to write about something that interests you. Use blogging to be creative and to improve your skills. Don't worry about monetizing until you have an audience.

MrsGreenPear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My food blog: Savory Moments
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 07:21:47 AM »
Check out Pinch of Yum's monthly income and traffic reports - http://pinchofyum.com/category/making-money-from-a-food-blog. While they are a food blog, many of their lessons and tips can be applied to any type of blog. Making money from blogging is super difficult as others have said. The easiest things are to start with Google Adsense and Amazon Associates. Even then with a modest audience, you may only make a couple bucks a month, at most.