Author Topic: resole chacos or diy with glue?  (Read 30343 times)

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
resole chacos or diy with glue?
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
My chacos are my daily shoe april-november. Seriously, doesn't matter the occasion. If I can't wear my chacos, I probably won't go. :)

Had this pair about 4 years and the sole is starting to separate. It isn't worn and doesn't need replacing, just reattaching.

To have it resoled by chaco is $40 + shipping.

Should I just glue it and hope for the best? Should I just aimlessly squirt glue in there and not worry about the fact that my straps won't be adjustable anymore? Or should I take the whole sole off and glue them back on trying to avoid the straps?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:55:20 PM by BooksAreNerdy »

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: resole chacos or diy with glue?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
I'm not sure what Chacos are (and lack the ambition to google them), however I will share that I have successfully saved two pairs of shoes from being being tossed out by buying a $7.00 package of something  called Shoe Goo. One of the shoes was the pair I bought for my wedding (and wore frequently until the bottoms were separated and then they just took up space). The $7.00 investment was worth it and I even lent it out to a co-worker who had a shoe issue. The tube was ginormous and I expect will last me a lifetime or until someone forgets to re-cap it and it all dries up.

I would try a commercial product as I imagine it'd be much less than $40 + shipping and give it a go. If that won't work, then just find a local cobbler if possible. I have found that it was always really reasonable to have a cobbler to re-sole or replace a heel.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
I just reattached my track shoe soles with Shoe Goo.  Works like a charm.  No moving parts like the strap you described on your Chacos.  Don't know if that will make a difference

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
My chacos are my daily shoe april-november. Seriously, doesn't matter the occasion. If I can't wear my chacos, I probably won't go. :)

Had this pair about 4 years and the sole is starting to separate. It isn't worn and doesn't need replacing, just reattaching.

To have it resoled by chaco is $40 + shipping.

Should I just glue it and hope for the best? Should I just aimlessly squirt glue in there and not worry about the fact that my straps won't be adjustable anymore? Or should I take the whole sole off and glue them back on trying to avoid the straps?

4 years of use and the repair cost is $40?

You wear them April through November which is 8 months, or 243 days each year. Times 4 years. A total of 972 days. If you say that you wear your chacos on average 8 hours each day (you did say they are the only thing you wear during those months), that means you've gotten 7776 hours of use out of them. Ignoring what they originally cost, because I don't know and don't care, that means you would be paying the equivalent of $0.005 cents an hour in maintenance costs. Or, half a cent an hour.

That said, definitely try the shoe goo first. It's like $6 at walmart.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
My concern with shoo goo is I think it interferes with your ability to get them re-soled. 

At some point, the sole may wear to the point where you need it replaced and in that case you've traded the cost of a new pair of shoes for the short-term savings of $33.

I mostly use shoe goo for shoes that won't take a proper re-soling or where the upper is so worn I don't think it will last long enough to make re-soling worthwhile.

IANAC (I am not a cobbler), I could be completely wrong about shoe goo preventing re-soling.

highcountry

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »
I am no expert, but it seems to me that a delaminated sole should be covered under warranty. I know teva isn't as good about the quality and warranty stuff as Chaco used to be, but it seems like that should still fall pretty solidly under the manufacturing defect umbrella. Also, I think you can get a shoe store that deals in them to ship them for you for warranty issues. I would ask around, particularly at the place you bought them. Outdoor gear companies tend to have stellar service , and high customer  expectations for this kind of stuff.

I would not use the shoe goo. Between re-soling and new straps, you could potentially use the same pair of sandals for the rest of your life, and the shoe goo might interfere with getting them fixed by Chaco. I also would probably not bring them to a local cobbler, for the same reasons as I wouldn't want to use the shoe goo.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:37:41 PM by learning »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!