Author Topic: Resigning from my job to travel - face punch or will I be okay?  (Read 7017 times)

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Resigning from my job to travel - face punch or will I be okay?
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
Hello wizened stash community,

I've decided to make a controversial decision and am looking for some feedback.

29/M
Healthy, Single, no kids, no debt

I've decided to hang it up from my low-level job at a community-style bank where I've worked for about 3.5 years. I live in a small town and have been very restless do something different with my life.

After having a few promising opportunities fall through, both in the job search and dating realm, I've decided to take time off to go see the world.

I've booked a one-way ticket to Panama and lined up travel to Colombia from there. After that I plan to check out Ecuador before finishing up in Peru. My plan and budget is for 5 months, living on $50-60 day. Will be staying in hostels/AirBnb for the most part.

Like I said above, I have zero debt, nothing tying me down. I've got about 49k in retirement assets and another 20k or so between cash/taxable accounts.

I'm mostly excited to go do adventurous things while I still can. Most of my mentors have said that they are incredibly jealous and wish they could have done something similar. However, a couple of my wealthy, business-minded uncles are certain that I'm committing career suicide. I have a suspicion they think I make a lot more than 35k/year and have a job that requires more than a GED though...

My goal during the trip is to develop my Spanish language skills (I'm not too bad after enjoying this in school/college), and learn some other resume-boosting things like "negotiation, problem-solving, crisis management, flexibility," etc.  My current employer sounds very agreeable to taking me back upon my return, although I would like to find something higher-paying.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this or did something similar in their 20s? I'm terrified about the whole "unemployment" part of this, but I am hoping to make some amazing memories that I'll never regret. Who knows, maybe I won't get 65+ years on this Earth, and if I do, will I want to hike the Andes mountains at that point?

Thank you to this awesome community!

Firehazard

• Stubble
Re: Resigning from my job to travel - face punch or will I be okay?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
I've never done anything like that, but I think you should do it if you really want it.  It doesn't sound like the job you have is anything that couldn't be replaced fairly easily when you get back.  If marriage and family are part of your long-term plan, now is the time for you to take a trip like this, before responsibilities come along to tie you down.  I would recommend you check out your COBRA insurance options if you haven't already, though.  Factor some sort of health insurance into your budget.  Don't wait until your cash is down to zero to pursue a new job, obviously.

I hope you have a wonderful trip of a lifetime!

Also, it can't hurt to ask for a leave of absence.  You never know!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:31:56 AM by Firehazard »

UKstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »
Go, go now. I did, it wasn't a good financial move but I'd do it again!

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:39:34 AM »
I would recommend you check out your COBRA insurance options if you haven't already, though.  Factor some sort of health insurance into your budget.

This has been one of my biggest puzzles since planning this whole thing out. I am in New York state, and asked for help from a local group that helps people navigate health insurance. The lady told me to come in once I'm officially unemployed, with a letter confirming so from my job. She said I should be able to then receive Medicaid. Obviously that makes me feel a little "blah" since I don't want to be a deadbeat getting handouts, but I suppose I've paid enough into the system with all the taxes here.

I will also be buying travel insurance to help protect me on the go. The ironic thing is that if I have a medical problem on the road, I'll almost certainly opt for local treatment, which should be about 80% as effective at 10% of the cost.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »
Do it.  "Career suicide" is irrelevant if you hate the career to begin with.  Who knows what new doors and opportunities will open up with your new experiences?  Just set yourself a minimum level of cash at which you will go home and start looking for a job.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »
I did it - took off for 8 months to backpack around Asia when I was 26 or 27. Zero regrets. Would do it again in a heartbeat. And afterward, I found that having that trip mentioned on my resume (under "interests and activities" or something, along with having been a whitewater rafting guide) actually opened doors. One employer said those two things were why they brought me in for an interview. YMMV but I say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
You have my full support but consider actually doing something more than just learning spanish, there are lots of volunteer opportunities like volunteering at an orphanage,  woofing, habitat for humanity type thing so that you have something to say during interviews. And consider moving straight to a big city with more opportunities when you get back.

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
I did it - took off for 8 months to backpack around Asia when I was 26 or 27. Zero regrets. Would do it again in a heartbeat. And afterward, I found that having that trip mentioned on my resume (under "interests and activities" or something, along with having been a whitewater rafting guide) actually opened doors. One employer said those two things were why they brought me in for an interview. YMMV but I say go for it!

Love this response! I'm hoping to spice up my resume in a similar way upon return. I checked out Vietnam for 8 days earlier this year and loved it! Almost considered going back there for this trip but alas...I want to be able to enhance my Spanish skills better.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »
I did this from age 31-33 and also have no regrets.  Came back to the US and found a job in a month (had 8 phone interviews, 5 fly out interviews, and 3 offers).  I did have a couple companies/bosses turn me down due to the travel but would you really want to work for a person like that? 

You have a decent savings to travel up to a year or a little more.  A few tips for the places you're going:

Colombia is a great place in December.  Spent a whole month there.  There's a awesome festival in Cali, Colombia between Christmas & New Years that has few tourists.  I felt like a celebrity.

I've not done the boat from Panama to Colombia but it looks super fun.

Ecuador is one of the best places to take some spanish lessons.  There are lots of teachers.  Not sure what the going rate is now but I paid $5 an hour about 12 years ago for private lessons.  Very flexible for what you want (from days to weeks to months).  I wish I would have studied harder and became fluent when I was teaching English there for 7 months.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »
Go and have fun you young whipper snapper!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
Language fluency is not a matter of studying. Read whatever interests you to improve the formal aspects, especially vocabulary, and interact as much as possible to learn to listen and speak, especially colloquially. Hang out with the locals, not the other backpackers.

I travelled enough in my teens through 30s that I have become a homebody in my 40s, albeit with plans for slow travel across the world in a few years.

How easy it will be to find a job depends on the market when you return. I twice arrived in a foreign country as the economy collapsed. The first time, my job dried up before I even started. The second time, my US based stipend went much further than I had expected. When my brother took a year off,  he was trying to get a job mid dot com bust and didn't fare well. It just can't be predicted.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
I spent 80 days in my car road tripping the west coast of the US when I was 19, (2006)

I spent 11 weeks backpacking South America (Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay) when I was 21 (2008)

I spent 8 months, riding my motorcycle from Seattle to Buenos Aires in when I was 24/25  (2010)

I spent off of 2013 in Australia with my fiancé/wife, and 7 of those weeks in S.E. Asia. (2013)

I went back to Ecuador for a month with my parents and wife in 2014.

I've lived more than a year of my life in hostels, and met several friends along the way that are still my good friends years later. I've traveled across the country for weddings, visited my now very close friend across the border in Canada (met her in Buenos Aires), and lived with friends in Australia that I met while on my motorcycle.

You're not exactly YOUNG in terms of the intrepid traveler, but you're no old fart either. You've got a stash in retirement, you've got cash money, and you're ready to make a change with the job you don't like. Make sure you have some cash to come home to, otherwise, just book the tickets and go for it.

I loved Panama, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. My travels there, and all the other Latin countries have made me fluent in Spanish. I put it all on my resume, and made sure I represented my skill sets well, and was hired when I returned without issue.

Go do it man. You can always come home if you don't like it. My bet is that it will change your life for the better, and give you a lot of clarity about what you'd prefer to do when you get home.

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »

Colombia is a great place in December.  Spent a whole month there.  There's a awesome festival in Cali, Colombia between Christmas & New Years that has few tourists.  I felt like a celebrity.

Ecuador is one of the best places to take some spanish lessons.  There are lots of teachers.  Not sure what the going rate is now but I paid $5 an hour about 12 years ago for private lessons.  Very flexible for what you want (from days to weeks to months).  I wish I would have studied harder and became fluent when I was teaching English there for 7 months.

Thanks for the insight! I am indeed doing the catamaran boat from Panama to Colombia (with a stop in the famous San Blas islands). I plan to be in Colombia for the holidays, I am thinking about targeting Medellin for that week.

I'm pretty confident my Spanish is already passable enough that I won't need to stop for lessons. I currently can speak much better than I understand - I'm sure working on this will be a healthy challenge!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:48:08 PM by jslasher88 »

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »
I spent 80 days in my car road tripping the west coast of the US when I was 19, (2006)

You're not exactly YOUNG in terms of the intrepid traveler, but you're no old fart either. You've got a stash in retirement, you've got cash money, and you're ready to make a change with the job you don't like. Make sure you have some cash to come home to, otherwise, just book the tickets and go for it.

I loved Panama, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. My travels there, and all the other Latin countries have made me fluent in Spanish. I put it all on my resume, and made sure I represented my skill sets well, and was hired when I returned without issue.

Go do it man. You can always come home if you don't like it. My bet is that it will change your life for the better, and give you a lot of clarity about what you'd prefer to do when you get home.

Wow, what a travel resume you have! Thanks for the endorsement of my journey. I think at 29 I'll still be young enough for the hostel dorms, but I plan to mix it up so I can get a variety of experiences. And yes, I'm keeping my apartment back home (landlord offered me a discount), so knowing I have that to come back to anytime is a big mental sigh of relief.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »

Here's my record of spending December in Colombia:
https://thehotflashpacker.com/colombia/

I loved the little town of Salento too, although it seems to be getting more touristy.  I was there in 2009.
Thanks for the insight! I am indeed doing the catamaran boat from Panama to Colombia (with a stop in the famous San Blas islands). I plan to be in Colombia for the holidays, I am thinking about targeting Medellin for that week.

I'm pretty confident my Spanish is already passable enough that I won't need to stop for lessons. I currently can speak much better than I understand - I'm sure working on this will be a healthy challenge!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »
wiz·ened
ˈwizənd/adjective

Shriveled or wrinkled with age. "a wizened, weather-beaten old man"

synonyms: wrinkled, lined, creased, shriveled (up), withered, weather-beaten, shrunken, gnarled, aged
"their wizened faces said much about the hard lives they had endured"

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »

Wow, what a travel resume you have! Thanks for the endorsement of my journey. I think at 29 I'll still be young enough for the hostel dorms, but I plan to mix it up so I can get a variety of experiences. And yes, I'm keeping my apartment back home (landlord offered me a discount), so knowing I have that to come back to anytime is a big mental sigh of relief.

It's extensive, but it came at the cost of dollars spent while not earning, and no previous knowledge of investment accounts. I'm working on remedying that now!

At 29, that's totally a fine age to be cruising through the youth/travel hostels. I still stay in hostels, and no one even looks twice at you. Shit, I shared dorms with 40-70 years olds. If you're not a creepy weirdo, there is basically never even a comment made.

AirBnB can be a good deal, especially if you end up traveling with others. I've hosted dozens of international travelers over the years, and have 4 more passing through my place this coming month.

Your budget is inline with a more or less luxurious travel budget. You'll find Panama cheaper than Colombia, Ecuador on par with Panama, and Peru cheaper than them all.

Game on man!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
You should totally do it.  That your employer seems interested in rehiring you is a huge safety net.  And as others have said, you could also move to a bigger city and open up more options, when you return.

Seeing the world is a different kind of education and accumulation of experience.  I regret none of the trips I took when younger.  I realize, being older and settled, that future trips will be so much more costly (four plane tickets instead of just one for me; nicer everything because neither DH nor I want to rough it anymore, etc.)

The only caution I'd give is to get really good travel medical insurance.  It shouldn't be too expensive as you're young and healthy.  Sure, for minor/moderate things you could pursue the local treatment at low cost, but if something catastrophic happens (like, you fall off a cliff in a remote area) you want all the first rate services to evacuate you, treat you, etc.  Serious illness or injury abroad is one thing that could hugely f-up your finances, if you and your family have to pay out of pocket.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
May the crisis management skills you seek to hone not involve Columbian hookers or law enforcement...or both!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »

I spent 11 weeks backpacking South America (Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay) when I was 21 (2008)

I spent 8 months, riding my motorcycle from Seattle to Buenos Aires in when I was 24/25  (2010)

I spent off of 2013 in Australia with my fiancé/wife, and 7 of those weeks in S.E. Asia. (2013)

I've lived more than a year of my life in hostels, and met several friends along the way that are still my good friends years later. I've traveled across the country for weddings, visited my now very close friend across the border in Canada (met her in Buenos Aires), and lived with friends in Australia that I met while on my motorcycle.

Did you ever run into any sexual orientation related issues on your travels bi gal?

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
Do it. In my late 20's, I traveled in Central America for three months. No regrets.

If you're like most people, you'll be tied down later in life, whether that's a mortgage, spouse, kids, health issues, etc.

There's no time like now, so go already. :-)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 01:04:30 AM »
I consider a big trip like this to be a mini-retirement. I'm in the middle of such a trip right now, and have done one a few years ago. It depends on your personality/goals. Some people just want to reach full FIRE as soon as possible, so something like this may not suit them. But if you're happy to have a mini-retirement (or several!) earlier and don't mind taking longer to reach full retirement, I think it's pretty great! Just make sure you have enough money to tide you through well after the travels just in case it takes a while to procure a job.

EricL

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 02:19:00 AM »
It doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. I mean, if your plan is to bum around South America until your money runs out that's a bad idea. But if it's just a year or two to broaden horizons, gain perspective, and go forward you should be OK barring the usual travel hazards. 

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »
Awesome OP! Congrats for making this choice. I did this at 29 for 6 months in Europe and wasn’t as well set up as you. The trip changed my entire thinking about life and work. I had an epiphany on a train ride and worked out what I wanted to do with my career. Came home and quickly found a role that paid me infinitely more than before and was on point with what I wanted to be doing with my life. You’re set up perfectly: you’ve got your old job waiting and a place to come back to. Don’t stress at all about the 5 months away. You can always frame it as a self-funded career development project for foreign language fluency through immersion. Here’s something to consider: think about not just becoming travel fluent but business fluent as well. That’s something you might want to invest a little bit in. Good luck and have fun! 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »
My cousin spent ten years traveling around South East Asia teaching English to kids to make money. She had a blast, met her (now) husband, and they ended up in the UK and are doing great.

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »
You will be ok, humans are adaptive. I have friends who have done it, all no regret.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »

Did you ever run into any sexual orientation related issues on your travels bi gal?

Ha! You're not the first to pull that joke. But, to answer your question; no. Most people have it figured out. Though, in my younger days before I met my wife, there was one girl that didn't know if she liked boys, or girls, or both. I tried to help her figure that out...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »
wiz·ened
ˈwizənd/adjective

synonyms: wrinkled, lined, creased, shriveled (up), withered, weather-beaten, shrunken, gnarled, aged

OP, this is totally OT, but like Dicey I am curious as to your choice of "wizened" in your opening salutation.  Is this what you meant to say?  Were you looking for a word like "sage" that has age connotations but basically means wise?  Or what?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for the foam.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »
I took 9 months off in my mid-20's. Now early 40's and not regrets. I found wife, kids & mortgage in my 30's which really make this sort of thing difficult.

No impact career wise. Coming back interviews asked about the resume gap and spent the rest of the time asking bout the trip. interviewers either wished they did the same, or shared stories of their travel. Just be able to speak to the reason you want to take the trip and calm any concerns that you will bail again in a year for another one.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 04:17:01 PM »
I took 9 months off in my mid-20's. Now early 40's and not regrets. I found wife, kids & mortgage in my 30's which really make this sort of thing difficult.

No impact career wise. Coming back interviews asked about the resume gap and spent the rest of the time asking bout the trip. interviewers either wished they did the same, or shared stories of their travel. Just be able to speak to the reason you want to take the trip and calm any concerns that you will bail again in a year for another one.

Yep, the problem is the propensity of these folks is higher to bail again for another one. 

damyst

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
I've done a handful of these multi-month gaps - four to date. Hopefully the next one will be the one I don't have to come back to work from, but who knows.
Nothing broadens your horizons like travel, and broadening horizons can have an immensely positive impact on personal growth, including financial growth. A number of folks have alluded to this already.
Especially if you were born and raised in small towns, you need to do this. Do it now.
Feel free to hang out with travelers, or locals, or whoever comes your way. Connecting with backpackers from the world over was easily the highlight for me, and I've made some lasting connections that way. But to each his own. Travel is such an individual experience, I've found that the only useful piece of travel advice is "pay no heed to travel advice".

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 12:01:15 AM »
Another vote for you'll be fine, you have the funds and I truly believe travel is great for opening up your mind, and finding perspective.

I've worked non-stop for 15 years since uni, and have recently started to want a travel sabbatical, however as FIRE is now 3-4 years away I'm going to wait it out...I'll be taking lots of weekend trips to satisfy my wanderlust, both in the UK and European destinations, so when I FIRE I can concentrate on Asia and beyond.

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:32 AM »
wiz·ened
ˈwizənd/adjective

OP, this is totally OT, but like Dicey I am curious as to your choice of "wizened" in your opening salutation.  Is this what you meant to say?  Were you looking for a word like "sage" that has age connotations but basically means wise?  Or what?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for the foam.

Simply a mistake; I meant that to mean "sage" like you suggested.

jslasher88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone who replied for all of the awesome insight! I would not have predicted there'd be so many fellow "extended sabbatical-takers" but I'm so happy you're here. I am greatly looking forward to the trip and appreciate all of your well-wishes!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!