Author Topic: Republic Wireless Phone Spamming my contacts  (Read 3218 times)

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Republic Wireless Phone Spamming my contacts
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »
Hello Mustachians,

I made the switch to Republic.  The android phone made me get a gmail account.  Ok, everybody likes gmail, fine.  Well, now that I texted my contacts with my new phone number, not only are they getting SPAM from my phone number, they are also getting spammed from my old email account.  Has this happened to anybody else?  Did I do something wrong?  I have been a diehard apple person until now, and am about to send this phone back and go back to iphone.  Thanks. 

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Republic Wireless Phone Spamming my contacts
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »
Hmm, I didn't have to get a gmail account, but I do have a google+ account already.  Didn't send any contacts, maybe that's the difference?

iwanttobelive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »
No, haven't had this issue, I switched over last month. I also use a couple of gmail accounts. I did add everyone manually though through the keypad.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:39 AM »
Nothing like that. I've been on for a couple of weeks testing it out. Haven't really texted many people.

Might be a malicious app... Try Lookout Security and do a scan. Its free. The way usage of the old email is a signal that its not Republic doing it themselves.

Also they've been VERY responsive to the questions I post to their support site.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »
The way usage of the old email is a signal that its not Republic doing it themselves.

If it's your old email that's doing the spamming, either you or someone you know probably has a virus or malware doing the spamming.  It could be someone else using your address as the fake "from".  Probably a coincidence.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »
I feel like there isn't enough information presented to draw any conclusions.  What spam are they getting from your phone number?  Asking them to join?  Erectile Dysfunction?  Inheritance from some British ancestry who happened to leave it in a Nigerian bank account and require a few lawyers to be paid before being able to transfer?

Not sure why your old email address spamming people would indicate that somehow Republic Wireless is at fault.  Did you use the old email address to sign up for Republic Wireless?  I generally give out companyname@myowndomain.com, only caught two or three sites selling my email.