Author Topic: Replacing an over-the-range microwave  (Read 3558 times)

puglogic

• Stubble
Replacing an over-the-range microwave
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »
I could do without a microwave, husband can't, so our dead microwave needs to be replaced.

I've looked underneath and on both sides of it, and as much as I hate hiring handymen to do things I can do, I'm befuddled.  How is it held up there?   Is there some sort of bracket in the back that I can't see?  Anyone ever replace an over-the-range?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Replacing an over-the-range microwave
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
The screws for the mounting bracket are inside the cupboard above the microwave.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
There's a bracket on the back that the microwave hangs on, hooked near the top (the wall keeps the microwave from rotating forwards).  To remove the microwave, simply unplug, lift up slightly, slide forward and it should be off the hook.  (Use 2 people--they can get a little heavy).  The bracket will be screwed into the wall.  If you're lucky, the next microwave will hang on the same bracket.  If not, you may have to hang a new one.

http://youtu.be/X7BNy5jzZDA

FYI, perfectly good used microwaves are normally available on Craigslist for about $60 from people who have remodeled and who's microwave no longer matches the decor.  They are all pretty standard in size.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:39:24 PM »
That is probably right but our was unscrewed from the top cabinet first like it says here?  Maybe because it was removed with the mounting bracket - not sure.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/replace-over-range-built-microwave-oven-24384.html

We replaced it with a brand new one off craigslist.  People bought a new stove and it came with it and they didn't need it. 

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »
Thanks, you guys

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
I do have a couple of bolts into my cabinet above.  Sorry I forgot about them.