Author Topic: Selling my house, someone damaged lock - what to do?  (Read 2984 times)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Selling my house, someone damaged lock - what to do?
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
I'm selling my condo.  Yesterday someone visited and I suspect they tried to put the wrong key in my door lock and bent something in there.  Now it takes like a minute to get my key into the door, lock or unlock, and remove the key.  It used to be very loose.  I’m worried eventually the key will just break off in the slot (it was that tight).

I suspect my agent didn't label the keys, there is one gold key for my door and a newer silver key for my storage unit and I think they tried the silver key but really must have forced it.  Due to the MLS box, we also know who was in the unit yesterday (I think only 1 person).

I've looked at how to replace and don't think I can - for one I gave away all my tools to clean out the clutter.  So I think I'll have to hire a handyman.  Should I buck up and pay for this or try to get someone else to pay? 
I have been paying and paying and paying.  I'm already over $5000 paid in for repairs, painting, etc mostly at the agents suggestion. and have discovered I probably will get at least $25K less than I thought for the condo.   This whole process has been the worst.   I see there are already a bunch of scuffs on the walls I paid $2500 to paint.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling my house, someone damaged lock - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
Yeah, that's a bummer.  I'd just fix it.  Definitely add some clear labeling to the keys.

At this point you could also spend $100 and replace the key altogether with a keypad entry system.  No more key copies to keep track of or worry about the wrong key being jammed in there.  It's also nice for the prospective new owner as they don't have to change locks or anything radical, they can just change the code.

Also, $2500 for paint!? Damn!  That's like 40 gallons of premium paint!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »

That was obviously for the painters to do the work.  Agent was pressuring me to get it done so we could get it on the market the first week of August, so we used the person who was available.  Now no offers and want to reduce the price by $26K. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
Oh, and does a keypad work with deadbolt and would it be easier or harder to install?   I'm looking to do it as cheap as I can if it isn't going to add a cent to the sales price.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
Oh, and does a keypad work with deadbolt and would it be easier or harder to install?   I'm looking to do it as cheap as I can if it isn't going to add a cent to the sales price.

I love keypad locks!

Costs like $50 -100 bucks at a big box store depending on the brand. You really only need a screwdriver and 1/2 an hour to make it work.

Cheap deadbolt should be like 10 bucks.

TrMama

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »

That was obviously for the painters to do the work.  Agent was pressuring me to get it done so we could get it on the market the first week of August, so we used the person who was available.  Now no offers and want to reduce the price by $26K.

I'd call your realtor and complain about the damage to your unit and the fact they lied to you about pricing. Have your realtor pay, and arrange, for the lock to be repaired.

Every time I sell a house, I calculate how much the realtor is making. Then I don't feel bad for being a pain in their ass.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »
Before we get to small details like paint and locks, it sounds like you need to talk to your agent.

It seems their goal is to move your property ASAP.  It seems your primary goal is to get a decent value on the sale of your condo.  Those two things are not aligned.  If the bottom line affects you so, could you wait until the "hot market" next year and recoup that potential 26k in price?  Or, if the time-sensitive nature does matter more to you than I've gleaned, you have to accept the cost drops.

Yes, there are all kinds of keypad locks, just like locks that aren't electronic.  Some have deadbolts, some do not.  If you don't have any tools (reading this part gave me a little anxiety lol) and are going to have to outsource the lock installation, I'd price shop both a new lock/new keypad as well as the cost to install each (though you'd be better off buying another screwdriver if you wanted to save money).  Watch some online installation vids of different types and see what you think.

Good luck!

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
Keep in mind that if you use a keypad lock there won't be any need for the electronic MLS lockbox, which keeps a record of who comes and goes and when. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »
Before we get to small details like paint and locks, it sounds like you need to talk to your agent.

It seems their goal is to move your property ASAP.  It seems your primary goal is to get a decent value on the sale of your condo.  Those two things are not aligned.  If the bottom line affects you so, could you wait until the "hot market" next year and recoup that potential 26k in price?  Or, if the time-sensitive nature does matter more to you than I've gleaned, you have to accept the cost drops.

Yes, there are all kinds of keypad locks, just like locks that aren't electronic.  Some have deadbolts, some do not.  If you don't have any tools (reading this part gave me a little anxiety lol) and are going to have to outsource the lock installation, I'd price shop both a new lock/new keypad as well as the cost to install each (though you'd be better off buying another screwdriver if you wanted to save money).  Watch some online installation vids of different types and see what you think.

Good luck!

I told them I wouldn't go lower than price X  (price X is 26K lower than the current price, which is 52K less what my identical neighbor unit went for in June).  I will take off the market if I need to.  I'll be living in the area until at least May next year.  The bad thing is I literally got rid of everything.  I have no bed and other furniture because they said they wanted to stage.  I was going to temp move in with a friend.

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »
I am confused about your lock, every lock I have replaced has been a handful of screws and required no more than a screw driver and the lock to do the replacement.  Get a cheap lockset from a hardware store and if you can't borrow one, get a screw driver  (a drill might save you 10 minutes but a screw driver is sufficient).  If that doesn't work I am curious what kind of lock you have that is so complicated.

The locks really should not affect your selling price at all as any buyer should replace all of them after closing.

Too late, but it is generally not a great idea to tell anyone working on commission (realtor, recruiter, salesman) your bottom line or (at least in my experience) they try to push you there immediately and past when possible.  If you drop your price you can expect offers that are below your asking price and/or asking you to cover 3% of the closing costs and the realtor will be pressuring you to take them.  I would just tell the realtor no, after paying to improve the condo and further review of comparables you are not comfortable lowering the asking price.

If the place doesn't sell you can get rid of these realtors and try again in March or April.  Consider Redfin or selling yourself with a fixed price listing.  I got the $999 package from http://www.flatfeegroup.com/Maryland/ and separately paid $200 for a professional photographer.  I still paid 2.5% to the buyer's agent but saved 3K over redfin with very little work.  It wasn't a problem to sell the place empty (and very clean) instead of staged.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 05:13:23 PM »
Assuming you have a basic Schlage or Kwikset lockset, go to the big box store and buy a replacement. They’re probably $20-35 and install with a screwdriver and maybe a punch. If you packed away your tools, buy a screwdriver while you’re there.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-Tylo-Satin-Chrome-Entry-Door-Knob-and-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt-Combo-Pack-690T-26D-CP/100676454

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »
Update:  I suggested I get a new lock to agent, agent checked it out, agreed there was damage.  They say the only agent who visited yesterday didn't do it.  First she said that someone was trying to break in (in broad daylight, had to happen between 3 and 7pm when I got home).  After locksmith came, claimed it might be the people that might be prospective renters for the condo across the hall trying to force in a key.  I find that would be really odd - there's booties, a sign, and big plant outside my door.

anyways, Agent got a locksmith to fix it and rekey.  They are going to pay for it.  Amazing knowing that I may pull the unit off the market and them with/out commission.  I would have been OK with a replacement.

The home depot guide to changing a lock said 1-2 hours plus needed measuring tape, drill, drill bits, chisel, etc, etc, etc.  From what y'all are saying maybe not so much.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 05:27:17 PM »
The home depot guide to changing a lock said 1-2 hours plus needed measuring tape, drill, drill bits, chisel, etc, etc, etc.  From what y'all are saying maybe not so much.
That sounds like adding a dead bolt where there wasn't one before.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »
Pins in locks can break just during normal usage.  Wasn't necessarily damaged by anyone forcing anything.  Timing is suspicious, but is not conclusive.

iwanttobelive2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Can a key set from homedepot work? Seen them for as low as $25/