Author Topic: Replace my iPod Touch  (Read 3603 times)

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
Replace my iPod Touch
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
My iPod Touch is 6.5 years old and is starting to have an issue that the Apple Senior Techs have to put me in touch with the Engineers to try to solve, and aren't certain that it will.  I received it as a Christmas gift in college and it has served me needs really well.  In case the problem can't be resolved, I need to start looking for the replacement.  Also, the Senior Tech is making it obvious that my iPod is officially ancient - the operating system is as up to date as it'll get and is several years old.

I use it for subscribing to about 35 podcasts and my iTunes music library.  Plenty of that library was purchased over the years, but probably 1/4 of it came from CD's loaded onto itunes many years ago that I don't have the hard copies of anymore.  I listed to about 8 podcasts a day, and no music, but I love having the large library to access.  A 32 gig iPod is plenty for me.  The tech keeps asking about other things, like photos, email, etc.  I don't connect it to the internet. 

The obvious answer is to use my phone.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.  I know there's different podcast subscription apps out there - any recommendations?  And is there any way to control when episodes are downloaded?  We have moderate internet speed (6 Mbps) and if episodes are downloading while I'm checking email and my husband is watching Netflix, something doesn't work right.  One of the reasons I like iTunes is because I can control when episodes get downloaded by deciding when to open iTunes.  I can also choose to get a whole bunch from the archives at once but only put 4 or 5 on my iPod at a time.  Is there a way to replicate this with something else?

If I have to, I'll but the $200 new iPod Touch to keep my experience the same.  But I can see the writing on the wall that Apple doesn't want to support them anymore, and I'll probably be in the same position in 4 years.  What else should I look at?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Replace my iPod Touch
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »
I use stitcher for podcasts as I find iTunes pretty irritating. I’m not very tech-y, so if I find it easy to use, it probably is!

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 02:57:35 PM »
All I heard was you needed to listen to podcasts and music.  Spending money for an Apple-anything just for that is a waste. 

The good news is you have an android system you can test things out on before you commit to a whole new device just for podcasts and music.  It's been about 7 years since I moved my iTunes music to Google Play, but I don't recall it being that hard.  That's what I would do with your music--get it on Google play and test it out on your phone.  The beauty of Google Play is that your music is now easily accessible through every google device you have (phone, computer, yet to be bought music player, etc.).

For podcasts I use Podcast Republic.  But again, you have an android device--fire up the Play Store and test out some free apps on your phone to find one you like.  After finding apps you like, then you can decide if you want to buy  whole new device for your podcasts/music.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
Buy a sub $100 iPhone 5S and don't get phone service on it.
Or get a ~$200 iPhone 6, get a new $29 battery and don't get phone service on it. (Just use wifi on either.)

Yeah, you could switch away from the iOS ecosystem. I'm "in computers" and doubt that I'd invest the time to switch.

I think expecting strong support from Apple for an almost 7 year old device is a little unreasonable. A $250 device that lasts 4 years of good service costs about $5/mo. For something that you listen to 8 podcasts a day, maybe 22 days a month, each podcast costs you $0.03. I find that reasonable.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
I'd definitely put your podcasts and music on your S7, no need for a separate device.  I've used Amazon Music and Podcast Addict on Android in the past.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
Thanks for the varied replies, you guys have offered a lot of options.  I'm not sure which way I want to go yet.  I am concerned about doing info. transfers and such (like getting new podcasts episodes) on my phone only when I'm setting up to do it, not (for example) whenever my phone connects to wifi.  That could really mess up some of our other internet usage, as right now I time opening iTunes to when we're not doing other internet-heavy activities.  I haven't looked too much at other podcast apps, so it's possible this worry is just silly.

And I do like the idea to get an old iPhone without service to use, though then I run into this problem a few years in the future again.

And yes I originally called Apple Support expecting there to be some sort of glitch (the problem began very specifically on one day and has been permanent, it's not an intermittent or developing issue) that the service tech would say oh yeah, do these 3 things and tada it works.  The engineers apparently know this as a "known problem" so I'm not optimistic it'll be fixed.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
I am concerned about doing info. transfers and such (like getting new podcasts episodes) on my phone only when I'm setting up to do it, not (for example) whenever my phone connects to wifi.  That could really mess up some of our other internet usage, as right now I time opening iTunes to when we're not doing other internet-heavy activities.
Audio data is generally quite small. If your connection can support streaming Netflix (or even HD Youtube), I wouldn't worry one bit about economizing or throttling any audio app.

If you're on a severely limited connection (sub 2-3 Mbps), you can look into a router configuration that will do QoS (quality of service) that allows you to deprioritize some traffic to protect whatever you really want to be interactive at the expense of bulk file transfers.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »
thanks for the info.  we run about 5-6 Mbps, and I know that when my computer is downloading podcasts, it slows down other things I want to do on the internet.  And if I stream a youtube video on my computer either it or my husband's netflix show pauses sporadically.  That's why I was concerned.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 08:23:55 PM »
Probably not the best forum for networking advice, but after a quick google search, this article seems fairly decent on explaining the basics of QoS. Depending on the router that you have, you may already have the necessary hardware and may just need to configure it. (Prioritizing network traffic is a job for network devices, not cooperative humans. ;) )

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

Edit: this one is also decent: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2689995/quality-of-service-explained-how-routers-with-strong-qos-make-better-home-networks.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:26:25 PM by sokoloff »

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
I like podcast addict on my android phone.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »
Probably not the best forum for networking advice, but after a quick google search, this article seems fairly decent on explaining the basics of QoS. Depending on the router that you have, you may already have the necessary hardware and may just need to configure it. (Prioritizing network traffic is a job for network devices, not cooperative humans. ;) )

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

Edit: this one is also decent: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2689995/quality-of-service-explained-how-routers-with-strong-qos-make-better-home-networks.html

Ha!  We've been going the cooperative humans route.  It was hard wired into me back in the days of satellite internet and getting FAP'd.  Endless negotiation with my siblings over who was going to get to download songs/watch videos/play games on the internet before we hit the limit for the day.  Thanks for the articles, I'll use them to look into our situation at home.

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 02:03:06 PM »
I purchased a 160GB iPod Classic after my iPod Touch-es kept running out of space. But since you subscribe to podcasts I'd recommend you just use your Galaxy. Google Play music allows you to store your own songs in their library and they also have Podcast, if I were you I'd give it a try if you don't want to spend any money.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
I have only used android devices.  Most apps have settings that allow you to download information either immediately, wifi only, or manually.  You should have no problem finding apps that will do that.  Just check out the settings for the device.  I have most apps setup on manual mainly so I do not waste battery on a bunch of background consumption.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »
I use Pocket Casts. I can set it to either download new episodes (automatically or manually, I have it set to manually, which would suit your needs just fine), or to stream on demand.

As for the music, is it on your computer? If so, you could upload it all to Google Play Music and use that.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »
Thanks for all of the info guys!  It's been very helpful.