Author Topic: Replace iPhone with iPad Mini?  (Read 6176 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Replace iPhone with iPad Mini?
« on: August 07, 2016, 08:48:56 PM »
Hi everyone,
My iPhone 4S is dying & needs replacement. I am wondering if I can use an iPad to serve as a replacement iPhone. Here is some background. It serves as my home phone & I use it heavily. The price point on new & used (newer) iPhones is scary. I've been working on transitioning from relying on the built-in Apple apps but have a long ways to go on that. Apple still holds a lotof my data. Ugh. I have a couple kids & would like to be able make emergency calls. Could I use Skype or a similar service to replace my cell phones voice capability for regular calls? Maybe get a 3G usb stick so I can access data or make calls when I'm away from wifi? Has anyone tried something like this? Did it save you any money?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Replace iPhone with iPad Mini?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 04:06:42 AM »
I do use my iPad mini to make a lot of calls with skype (to phones as well as other skype users). You will have to purchase the phone calling ability at ~$30 a year.

But I don't depend on it for my only phone; I have a cheap flip phone for voice calls (and 911). Also you should look at IP Daily's guide and consider his concerns with Skype and privacy.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 05:21:45 AM »
I assume you have Internet. You could use VOIP for home phone use and get a cheap cell phone and ting for a cell phone.

I second the recommendstion to ready IP Daily's tech guide.

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:52:48 AM »
I would like to be able make emergency calls

This is an amazing knowledge gap that needs to be fixed in our society.

Keep an old phone that plugs into the wall around.  If you need to call 911 the call will go through even if you do not have home phone service.  Same thing with a cell phone that has no service plan.     

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 07:20:33 AM »
I would like to be able make emergency calls

This is an amazing knowledge gap that needs to be fixed in our society.

Keep an old phone that plugs into the wall around.  If you need to call 911 the call will go through even if you do not have home phone service.  Same thing with a cell phone that has no service plan.   
Wow that's interesting. That is really good to know. I'll have to hunt down our wall jacks.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »
I do use my iPad mini to make a lot of calls with skype (to phones as well as other skype users). You will have to purchase the phone calling ability at ~$30 a year.
But I don't depend on it for my only phone; I have a cheap flip phone for voice calls (and 911). Also you should look at IP Daily's guide and consider his concerns with Skype and privacy.
Thanks for this information. Is the $30 fee you reference a fee you pay to Skype?

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:23:48 AM »
I assume you have Internet. You could use VOIP for home phone use and get a cheap cell phone and ting for a cell phone.

Thanks, I'll look at IP Daily's guide.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »

Thanks, I'll look at IP Daily's guide.

No info to add, just help with the search because IP's name is spelled a little differently here.

You can use the search button in the upper left (not the upper right- this will probably give you an error) and type "I.P. Daley"in the user and Skype in the search box. There's TONS of info :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 05:03:57 PM »
Thanks for this information. Is the $30 fee you reference a fee you pay to Skype?

Yes, it is. That's for the ability to call phones rather than just calling Skype users. U.S. Phones only, I think, though maybe Canada, too.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 06:59:45 AM »
The Mini 2s are on sale at Best Buy. $199 with 2 year Verizon contract - adds $10/month to your existing phone bill. I went with standard wifi for $230 because I already have a working iphone,

Might not be mustachian to purchase but not a bad price if you are going that route.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »
Talkatone is a free app that gives you a real US phone number for calls and texts over wifi/data. We have it on our phones and it comes in useful. Something to bear in mind - my DH uses Fongo (a Cdn version - have to pay something like $3/mo) for all calling and texting. We have no house phone and use it as our main phone as well. We are saving a bundle with having a data-only phone plan. BUT...call quality is iffy and very dependent on the quality of wifi/data signals. We have had many frustrating phone calls with very choppy connections (think of how your skype is sometimes choppy). If wifi/data signal is not strong enough, you CANNOT make/receive calls. But texting always works very smoothly. e.g. my daughter cannot make/receive calls with her school's wifi (she can at home), but can text back and forth easily (too easily since she texts me ALL THE TIME!). Calling customer service numbers that also use VOIP can get interesting. One time we were in an airport dealing with travel problems and were on the phone with reps and our connection was so terrible that it became a frustrating experience.

Currently, the savings are worth the hassle.

My DH's data-only plan has a few advantages - he can use data on the road, use certain apps, browse on various websites, look up info on the go, no limits on calls/texts, etc. Most of the advantages of his old $60/mo plan. He has 20GB of data that he prepaid for a year, so just under 2GB a month, which is a very decent amount of data. Including all associated costs, we are spending about $15/month on this.

My DD just bought a very basic prepaid plan that gives her conventional calls/texting. She primarily uses her free app whenever she is in wifi but as she's 15, asked to have something that gives her the ability to make a quick call/text when she is on the go (out of wifi) without always having to rely on borrowing a friend's phone. She paid for her phone plan herself - a prepaid plan. It is $35 for an entire year and after all fees are deducted from it, she will be able to send about 6 texts a month on average. Very, very little - but we anticipate it will be more than sufficient. It will also be a good substitute if she is at home, our wifi fails (power outage/tech problems) and she has an emergency.

Oh I should add a couple more cautions about switching to these apps. It is often difficult to receive text messages sent from websites. We usually get password-verification texts (you know - the ones they send you with a code), but cannot receive uber texts (this one is rather annoying since you cannot communicate with the driver to tell them where you are standing - but we suck it up and deal) and maybe one or two other things that I forget. Definitely something to consider.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:47:41 AM by elaine amj »

y2kcom2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
Is Android phone not an option? If not, there are plenty of great phones to choose from starting $99.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
The Mini 2s are on sale at Best Buy. $199 with 2 year Verizon contract - adds $10/month to your existing phone bill. I went with standard wifi for $230 because I already have a working iphone,

Might not be mustachian to purchase but not a bad price if you are going that route.
Hi Rollin,
Thanks for the tip!

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
Talkatone is a free app that gives you a real US phone number for calls and texts over wifi/data. We have it on our phones and it comes in useful. Something to bear in mind - my DH uses Fongo (a Cdn version - have to pay something like $3/mo) for all calling and texting. We have no house phone and use it as our main phone as well. We are saving a bundle with having a data-only phone plan. BUT...call quality is iffy and very dependent on the quality of wifi/data signals. We have had many frustrating phone calls with very choppy connections (think of how your skype is sometimes choppy). If wifi/data signal is not strong enough, you CANNOT make/receive calls. But texting always works very smoothly. e.g. my daughter cannot make/receive calls with her school's wifi (she can at home), but can text back and forth easily (too easily since she texts me ALL THE TIME!). Calling customer service numbers that also use VOIP can get interesting. One time we were in an airport dealing with travel problems and were on the phone with reps and our connection was so terrible that it became a frustrating experience.

Currently, the savings are worth the hassle.

My DH's data-only plan has a few advantages - he can use data on the road, use certain apps, browse on various websites, look up info on the go, no limits on calls/texts, etc. Most of the advantages of his old $60/mo plan. He has 20GB of data that he prepaid for a year, so just under 2GB a month, which is a very decent amount of data. Including all associated costs, we are spending about $15/month on this.

My DD just bought a very basic prepaid plan that gives her conventional calls/texting. She primarily uses her free app whenever she is in wifi but as she's 15, asked to have something that gives her the ability to make a quick call/text when she is on the go (out of wifi) without always having to rely on borrowing a friend's phone. She paid for her phone plan herself - a prepaid plan. It is $35 for an entire year and after all fees are deducted from it, she will be able to send about 6 texts a month on average. Very, very little - but we anticipate it will be more than sufficient. It will also be a good substitute if she is at home, our wifi fails (power outage/tech problems) and she has an emergency.

Oh I should add a couple more cautions about switching to these apps. It is often difficult to receive text messages sent from websites. We usually get password-verification texts (you know - the ones they send you with a code), but cannot receive uber texts (this one is rather annoying since you cannot communicate with the driver to tell them where you are standing - but we suck it up and deal) and maybe one or two other things that I forget. Definitely something to consider.
Hi Elaine,
This is interesting. I should add that for work/business reasons I'm anchored to skype.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 11:03:59 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't replace a primary phone with an iPad, especially for emergency calls. Especially as SIM-only or prepaid phone plans are quite inexpensive.

Honestly an Android or Windows smartphone (or even a feature phone) is dirt cheap if you don't want many bells and whistles (and can just use the Apple stuff over wifi on an iPad). If you insist on an iPhone, then surely a 5S isn't that expensive.

A Windows phone should be good for Skype, but there's a lot of other apps which are unavailable on it (so many apps I see are iOS and Android only). YMMV there.

Does an iPhone 5S cost that much more than a cellular iPad Mini 2? They both use the same processor so performance should be similar.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 08:53:52 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't replace a primary phone with an iPad, especially for emergency calls. Especially as SIM-only or prepaid phone plans are quite inexpensive.

Honestly an Android or Windows smartphone (or even a feature phone) is dirt cheap if you don't want many bells and whistles (and can just use the Apple stuff over wifi on an iPad). If you insist on an iPhone, then surely a 5S isn't that expensive.

A Windows phone should be good for Skype, but there's a lot of other apps which are unavailable on it (so many apps I see are iOS and Android only). YMMV there.

Does an iPhone 5S cost that much more than a cellular iPad Mini 2? They both use the same processor so performance should be similar.
Hi,
In terms of price, the iPads were on sale at BestBuy for $240 with no carrier & 32 gb. However, an iPad 5s with 64 gb bought unlocked without a payment plan or carrier is about $600 on Amazon.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »

But doesn't OP already have an iPad Mini? Which would be re-purposing something he already has rather than buying something new. And yes, even used iPhone 5 are a lot of money still. We lucked out and found my DD a used 64G iPhone 5 for Cdn$100. But there were problems with the speaker (that didn't bother her) and it was locked (cost $60 to unlock it).

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »

But doesn't OP already have an iPad Mini? Which would be re-purposing something he already has rather than buying something new. And yes, even used iPhone 5 are a lot of money still. We lucked out and found my DD a used 64G iPhone 5 for Cdn$100. But there were problems with the speaker (that didn't bother her) and it was locked (cost $60 to unlock it).
To clarify, I don't own an iPad Mini 2. I do own a dead/dying iPhone 4S.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!