Author Topic: repairing phone charger, headphones  (Read 3127 times)

scrubbyfish

repairing phone charger, headphones
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »
Phone

Samsung Galaxy Ace
2 or 3 years old
Issue: As of about a week ago, the charger has become very fussy. It frequently does not recognize when it is plugged into the phone. If I blow on it, wiggle the connecting piece, etc, it will eventually take. But then disconnect. It's taking more and more minutes every day to get it to its happy place. Salvagable? Do I need to replace the charger or the phone?

Headphones

Very fancy, nice ones that were given to me second-hand. About $80 to buy this kind new. Have worked great until recently. Suddenly stopped moving any sound at all. Salvagable?

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: repairing phone charger, headphones
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
As far is the charger is concerned, price one out on Amazon. I've gotten all kinds of replacement phone doo dads there for very little (for me this is under $10) The headphones, I don't know. I will say this, no one manufactures anything with the idea that the consumer intends to try to repair it when it malfunctions. Not these days. You may be out of luck on that.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »
Thanks, socaso! I'll try that (Amazon).

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »
I just had to replace the car charger for my Garmin.   There was some break in the wire that kept getting worse and worse.  The red light came on, so I knew the plug at the car-end was working,  so there must have been a break somewhere in the wire.  I tried cutting out a large section and resplicing it together.... and that didn't work.  The factory oem type chargers seemed to be going for $17 or $18, but I took a chance on a $5 charger (shipping included) on Ebay and it works fine.  The Garmin will start in "computer mode" but I just unplug it and plug it back in and it works fine....  $5 on Ebay. 

Rube

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
I have a set of Sony 7506s that I use for work. They are cheaply made but the best sound for what I need. I got someone to repair them once but we have someone who does that on staff. Eventually they broke again and I just bought a new set.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »
On the charger, is there any corrosion on either the charger or phone ends? I have had to replace cables on occasion because they pick up moisture in the kitchen and corrode.

Do the headphones work at all in either ear or completely dead? If possible, I'd test with a friend's set to make sure the phone port is still good, but likely it's a break in the headphone wire.