Author Topic: repair vs replace  (Read 3802 times)

brand new stash

• Stubble
repair vs replace
« on: July 08, 2013, 06:29:01 AM »
We have a hole in the underside of our roof (from the board that holds the gutter rotting and slipping down) and birds have gotten into our attic to nest.  So we need to get this fixed.   I know the mustachian thing would be to do it ourselves, but I saw someone fall from a roof when I was a kid, and just can't do it, it is worth delaying retirement to me to not have to climb on a roof.

We've had three companies come out to give us quotes, and all three independently told us basically the same thing.  It will cost about $700 to fix the hole, but that within a year or two at the max we will need to replace the roof which will cost around $8,000. 

So what is the mustachian thing to do in this situation.  On one hand, I'd prefer to pay $700 to patch.  But I don't want to pay $700 to patch, then have a roof leak in a year that causes more damage, and then have to pay to fix the damage and also the roof replacement of $8,000.   

unpolloloco

• Stubble
Re: repair vs replace
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »
No way to do the fix from the inside of the attic I assume?

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »
No way to do the fix from the inside of the attic I assume?

Correct.  The board on the outside needs to be replaced, which means attaching it to the outside.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
Would you feel comfortable if you were on scaffolding?

There's a few places around me to rent scaffolding from, not sure if it's economical, but I'm assuming you could find some in your area if you looked. Scaffolding is much more secure feeling than a ladder/standing on the roof.

It doesn't sound like too tough of a project to undertake though, so if you're handy, I recommend you explore your options.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
You can also rent manlifts, and some will deliver. If you can otherwise do the work yourself (that is, the carpentry aspect is not a problem), I'd do it.

Regarding the roof, I was able to cut my expenditure last year in half. I did all the tear off and disposal myself and ordered all the materials, and ended up doing the garage roof myself. I found a contractor who basically just supplied labor. Note, you will want to nail down the labor before hand if you do that. Some (most?) contractors will want to handle the whole thing and will not quote any other way. FYI, once you get up there and get some balance, it's not that bad (then again, if we are talking 2-3 story house with a steep roof, that's an issue compared to a ranch). Tear off took a day or so, wasn't that bad, and saved me roughly $3000.

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »
I just wanted to update you guys.  We found out that a friend has no fear at all of heights and is somewhat handy.  He's going to come over this weekend to check it out and fix the hole (we're buying the supplies) in exchange for us babysitting his kids during two events he has coming up!

I really couldn't imagine getting up there myself, but given that constraint I think that we've found the most mustachian solution. 

jexy103

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:15:18 AM »
Congratulations on finding a solution "outside the box"! I hope he's able to fix it for you. Gotta love bartering! :-)

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
If your concerned with the heights (and liability) I would rent or borrow some fall protection.  If you know anybody who works in a job they need it they might be able to take it home.  My company allows us to take safety gear and fall arrest at home.