Author Topic: Repair or replace?  (Read 3083 times)

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
Repair or replace?
« on: December 03, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
According to my local Genius Bar, the logic board on my 2011 MacBook Pro 15-inch has died again. I already  had the logic board replaced once under their repair program in early 2016. There’s a known issue with some 2011, 2012 & 2013 MacBooks. I believe some of the 2012 & 2103 models still qualify for the free repair but sadly the 2011 MacBooks have dropped off of the free repair program. Apple won’t replace the logic board even if I paid them since it’s over 5 years old. My only option is taking it to an an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Replacing the logic board will run about $500-$600.

My question is, would you pay $500-$600 to repair an almost 7 year old computer or buy new?

The other option is just go without. Between my wife and I, we have an iPad and two iPhones. How many computers does one household really need? Maybe having one less screen to look at wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Repair, replace or go without?

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »
What do you use it for? I'd lean toward do without unless you have a need that can't be filled by one of your other devices.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
Given the cost I would buy a new one.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »
My question is, would you pay $500-$600 to repair an almost 7 year old computer or buy new?

Repair, replace or go without?

If that's USD than no I wouldn't fix it. Obviously if you can go without why not? Worst case you buy something newer and maybe cheaper down the road. If you can't do without get something newer that's going to last longer than the repaired computer would with a lower cost/year of ownership.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
What do you use it for? I'd lean toward do without unless you have a need that can't be filled by one of your other devices.

Mostly internet, email, photos and music and the occasional spread sheet or document. I do have quite a few photos (20-25k) that I would miss and we would have to get used to looking at much smaller screens.

Repairing could be up to 45% of the cost of a new MacBook. I lean toward buying new if we don’t go without.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
There's a fourth option: replace with a used computer. You can easily find good 1-2 year old laptops for less than $500 on eBay. Consider abandoning Apple's walled garden. Consider embracing freedom with Linux.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
There's a fourth option: replace with a used computer. You can easily find good 1-2 year old laptops for less than $500 on eBay. Consider abandoning Apple's walled garden. Consider embracing freedom with Linux.

How do you know what you’re really getting if you buy used?

I’m a novice when it comes to this stuff so I have no idea how linux can enhance my internet, email and digital music experience.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
One word: Chromebook.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:11:43 PM »

I’m a novice when it comes to this stuff so I have no idea how linux can enhance my internet, email and digital music experience.

Laptop specs are pretty easy to look up. There shouldn't be any surprises there. It's also possible to check all the basic hardware when it arrives to make sure it both matches the listing description and is functional. I highly recommend running Memtest86 or similar on any used or new computer before using it for any tasks.

Linux will enhance your computing experience by always being supported (updates) without having to purchase new versions. You won't be weighed down by anti-virus software. In general stuff is more secure (as long as you're not an idiot with root access/privileges). ([edit] In general this is true for Mac as well. This part is mostly in comparison with Windows.[/edit]) I've been doing all of my home internet, e-mail, music, video, web development, accounting, tax filing, etc. on Linux for almost a decade now on both desktop and laptop computers. I honestly don't feel like it's a compromise and wouldn't go back to Mac or Windows (I've used both extensively as well) if you paid me.

The only weak point for me that I can think of off the top of my head is gaming support, though that has been getting better with Steam on Linux and lots of open source games as well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:14:12 PM by RWD »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
At that cost, I'd either part it out or find a working logic board on eBay, but in general, I'm pretty hesitant to spend money on "known to fail" hardware.  You'll kick the can for a bit, but that's about it.

What are you using the computer for?  If it's pretty much entirely web, a couple hundred dollar Chromebook is a really good option.

If it's more general stuff, a Chromebook isn't a great option.

And, RWD, depending on the use, Linux isn't an option.  I use it plenty, but it's not going to run things like Lightroom very well.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:48:00 AM »

Laptop specs are pretty easy to look up. There shouldn't be any surprises there. It's also possible to check all the basic hardware when it arrives to make sure it both matches the listing description and is functional. I highly recommend running Memtest86 or similar on any used or new computer before using it for any tasks.

Linux will enhance your computing experience by always being supported (updates) without having to purchase new versions. You won't be weighed down by anti-virus software. In general stuff is more secure (as long as you're not an idiot with root access/privileges). ([edit] In general this is true for Mac as well. This part is mostly in comparison with Windows.[/edit]) I've been doing all of my home internet, e-mail, music, video, web development, accounting, tax filing, etc. on Linux for almost a decade now on both desktop and laptop computers. I honestly don't feel like it's a compromise and wouldn't go back to Mac or Windows (I've used both extensively as well) if you paid me.

The only weak point for me that I can think of off the top of my head is gaming support, though that has been getting better with Steam on Linux and lots of open source games as well.

Updates are free on the Mac and one of the main reasons we went to a Mac was reduce viruses. I haven’t had one in the last 7 years and I’ve experienced very little slowness.

I probably need to research what Linux really is and how it’s superior for my computer usage, mostly internet, email, iTunes and Lightroom.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I’ll look into it more.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:36:04 AM »
And, RWD, depending on the use, Linux isn't an option.  I use it plenty, but it's not going to run things like Lightroom very well.
Updates are free on the Mac and one of the main reasons we went to a Mac was reduce viruses. I haven’t had one in the last 7 years and I’ve experienced very little slowness.

I probably need to research what Linux really is and how it’s superior for my computer usage, mostly internet, email, iTunes and Lightroom.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I’ll look into it more.

Lightroom! Oh boy. I've been using UFRaw to touch up my DSLR photos, but if you're using Lightroom there's a good chance Linux isn't going to cut it for you. Earlier you mentioned "internet, email, photos and music and the occasional spread sheet or document" as being your usage, which is all easily replaceable on Linux (I use Chromium/Firefox, Thunderbird, Geeqie, Clementine, and LibreOffice respectively for those tasks). But there are definitely special use cases where Linux doesn't have the tools you want.