Author Topic: Rent/Buy/Borrow a Bike on Vacation  (Read 2906 times)

Even Steven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Even Steven Money
Rent/Buy/Borrow a Bike on Vacation
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »
I figured the MMM forum would literally be the best place in the world for asking a bike related question.  I'm going to visit family in Miami, FL and I prefer to get up early and bike around the area, but I'm not sure what is the best way to go about this.  Do you guys/gals rent a bike for the week, buy a cheap bike from craigslist, or any other options I'm missing?(Family does not have any bikes)  What's the Mustachian thing to do?

Even Steven
evenstevenmoney.com

KevDolan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Rent/Buy/Borrow a Bike on Vacation
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:39:35 AM »
Try http://spinlister.com. They might be able to help.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
Depending where you are, citibike runs the decobike program on Miami beach and another program in downtown. Broward also has a bike rental program.  Just google and you can find maps with locations.

Even Steven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Even Steven Money
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
We would be pretty far south, like 200th Avenue just off of Dixie Hwy, but I'll definitely take a look at both programs for the city and splinster, thanks @KevDolan and @MrsPop

I checked both and Splinster didn't have any nearby and the sharing program is to far my intentions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:36:27 AM by Even Steven »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »
Try a bike shop and see if they have rentals. Or buy a cheap one at Walmart and donate it when you leave. It would probably be cheaper than renting a nice bike. It depends what kind of biking you will be doing. Lots of people ride bikes around the Homestead area. You should be able to hook up with a cycling group from a cycling shop nearby.

I'm not sure if Mack Cycle in South Miami does rentals. They are one of the most popular bike shops around.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »
Considering buying a cheap $100 Walmart mountain bike for a week of use in Colorado this Fall then donate it.  I'm flying in so I'll leave my bike at home.  Anybody try this?  I'll bring tools and i think it would do ok on non technical trails.  What ya'll think?