Author Topic: removing an old gas grill  (Read 13923 times)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
removing an old gas grill
« on: April 08, 2015, 06:24:12 PM »
I've got an old post-mounted gas grill that had a direct line run underground back to our natural gas unit on the outside of our house. It is nasty and falling apart, and I've meant to have it removed practically since we bought the house over a decade ago, just never seemed to get around to it.

Yesterday, I smelled gas near the gas main unit, called the gas company and they came out and the tech confirmed there was a corroded pipe that was leaking and he did a temporary fix. He said the pipe would be replaced with a permanent fix as soon as they could get me on the schedule, but that they really should also replace the whole unit as it was ancient as far as he was concerned (original to the house built in the early 1980s). But that would be after they replaced the pipe. No cost to me thank goodness.

I asked if they would just leave off the gas line to the old grill when they got around to installing a new gas meter unit, and he said he could do it right now if I wanted. I asked him how much it would cost, and he said nothing as far as he was concerned (and he got to make that call), and he proceeded to cap it and remove the line above ground for the gas grill. So big WIN for that anyway as I am sure it would have cost me around $50-60 to get a plumber to do it. I made him a container of rice and beans with brisket sausage I was cooking for dinner as a thank you (he commented on how good the house smelled when he came through the kitchen to test for gas leaks).

So is there anything I need to know about removing the actual grill now that the gas line has been capped off? Can I just drag that sucker to the curb and dig up the post?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: removing an old gas grill
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:39:51 PM »
Nope.. gas is disconnected.. just yard that thing out of there.. Your good to go.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: removing an old gas grill
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
Nope.. gas is disconnected.. just yard that thing out of there.. Your good to go.

Awesome. :D

I also think the line is copper, so I might just dig that out of the yard, and haul the whole kit and kaboodle to the scrap metal yard and see if I can't make a few bucks off of it.

It was SUCH an eyesore, so I'm going to happy dance once it's gone.