Author Topic: Removed Deck, New Patio, exposed ugly foundation - how to make pretty?  (Read 3601 times)

cbr shadow

• Bristles
My wife and I are moving overseas and renting out our house while we're gone.  The deck was crumbling so we opted for a concrete patio instead.  When the deck was removed it exposed a pretty ugly looking area on the foundation that had always been covered before.  What can I do to make this nicer/cleaner looking?

Any suggestions?  I do realize the siding is dirty right now as well, but that can just be cleaned up by hand.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Removed Deck, New Patio, exposed ugly foundation - how to make pretty?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »
Paint, power washer, maybe even some type of trim.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »
Yeah, that sounds about right. Hit it with the power washer, decide if it's good, if not -- paint and/or trim. Should be a pretty easy job.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
You have a lot of doors back there, crazy. Patio looks nice at least.

I would clean it up well, patch it with some "touch-up" style concrete mix, then paint it gray. Or maybe paint it some funky neon pink for flair if that suits the area. ; )

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
I wouldn't put trim on it, you might end up with critters behind the trim.  Give the concrete a scrub/power wash, let it dry and paint it any colour you like.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »
I agree with paint versus trim which will not age well under those doors. good luck!

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
Could you do a row of those press on stone veneer things they sell at HD?

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »
I would apply a skim coat over top of what is there.  Step 1:  Clean away all loose cement and any other nastiness.  Step 2:  Cover your brand new patio with some plastic taped down in your work area so you don't mess it up.  Step 3:  Buy a flexible plastic trowel and cut it to the exact height you need to fit it into that space between the patio and the siding/doors.  Step 4:  Mix equal parts portland cement and fine sand, add water to make a paste and apply a thin layer over top of your nasty looking concrete to make it as smooth as possible.  Step 5:  Lightly wipe away any "oops" spots with a damp sponge (get the big yellow rounded edge sponges they sell in the tile section of big box stores).  Best case scenario, you have a perfect looking concrete.  Worst case scenario, you have a slightly better to equally terrible looking concrete.  Good Luck!

sarah8001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:31:12 AM »
Check this stuff out:
www.slate-ish.com
I think it's pretty awesome. Beautiful, durable, recycled.