Author Topic: Remove a structure wall, problem with HOA... What should I do?????  (Read 2629 times)

flyinglandbird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Before I bought this unit
the sales told me it's ok to knock down the wall at study room and make it as another bedroom
so, I hired a handy man to do the job
Then, I got a phone call from builder, they said I shouldn't remove the wall, because it's a structure wall.
I had no idea about it.
So, I asked the handy man to get exactly same wood and put everything back.
But the builder said, before I close the wall, they need the HOA (or someone else, maybe township) to inspect it.
Now, almost 3 weeks, all I can do is call the builder (they are the HOA now, because the development is not finish yet)
but they never answer my call.
I felt so stupid about the wrong decision and so sad to see the open wall every time I enter my "new home".

Do anyone here has experience to handle things like this?  Or any comments?
What will happen?  Should HOA or township or anyone else come for inspection?
Any liability issue?
What should I do?????

smedleyb

• Bristles
Re: Remove a structure wall, problem with HOA... What should I do?????
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
Holy condo hell, Batman.  What to do?  Probably just relax and be thankful it's just a wall.  My sister-in-law has been living in a "work in progress" zone for 2 years, and I don't even think her boyfriend is half-way done. 

Trust me, I say this knowing full well that if I were you, I would be absolutely furious/crazy about how things have played out.  But seriously, it's just a fucking wall.  Keep repeating that until the shock of what's happened goes away.  Until then, consider it a great conversation piece when friends/family come over.  And stay on their asses (the builder).  Go see them in person.  Call the local building inspector too for any ideas.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Remove a structure wall, problem with HOA... What should I do?????
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »
By taking out a wall without knowing what the fuck you were doing (or by hiring someone to take out the wall who didn't knew what the fuck they were doing), you may very well have compromised the structure of the building and put not only yourself but anyone in the unit(s) above, below or adjacent to you in danger.

Call up the township building department, confess that you had unpermitted structural work done, and let them tell you what you need to do. They'll certainly demand to perform an inspection, they may fine you, and (depending on the results of the inspection) they may force you to have to have the wall re-rebuilt by a (licensed!) contractor.

On the bright side, if you have to hire a contractor to fix it anyway, you might be able to get him (and get a building permit) to properly remove the wall and re-support the structure.

In the future, don't hire a handyman (i.e., someone unlicensed) for that kind of work! Also, don't listen to the sales guy; he'll cheerfully lie to you all day long to get you to sign on the dotted line.