Author Topic: Remote software engineering work  (Read 4207 times)

TheMCP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Remote software engineering work
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »
Greetings... thought I'd ask here if anyone had experiences they'd like to share about looking for remote development jobs.  I found out today that my current job is likely to come to an end relatively soon, so I'll be looking for something new.  I live in a pretty rural location so there isn't a ton of development work, and in my experience since I moved here the wages are pretty low for this type of work (they're pretty low for everything, really).  I'd like to see if I can weigh what may be available remotely against whatever comes up locally.

From what I can tell from looking online, since the last time I looked for work (about 10 years ago) it seems like working remotely has become more popular / accepted.  What isn't particularly clear is how "real" the listings I'm seeing really are, because a lot of what I'm finding look legitimate.  The last time I looked, it seemed like everything was contract work where you were bidding against Russian teenagers for 5$ jobs... I don't have a lot of interest in that kind of thing.

I haven't even started pulling a resume together yet, but I was curious if anybody had any recent experience looking at these types of listings?  Not that it really matters, but for reference I've been doing development work for 15 years, the last 5 doing a .net / entity framework / sql azure business logistics project.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
Re: Remote software engineering work
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »
I have been working out of my basement for the last 6 years as a software developer for a big tech megacorp.  I was originally a contractor and then converted to a FTE.  I got the contracting job via someone with whom I worked who recommended me.  So I would suggest to you that you utilize your network to see if anyone you know has an employer looking for someone.  Failing that, linked in seems to have a decent job search.  The angel.co seems to have some interesting jobs too. 

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »
It's definitely out there.  Since you mention competing against Russian teenagers for $5/hour jobs, recognize that the gig economy/Guru.com/fiverr/etc. and real remote work are two very different things.  If you want to have reliable work, you won't find it on the gig sites.  You'll find it either by responding to a job posting, or through your network.

I'm a contractor, and many of the contracts I take on are long term and 100% remote.  To date, all of the work has come to me in one way or another through contacts I have made in previous employment, friends, or people I have encountered in work on open course projects.  That's why, to me, getting the word out to your network (and being remembered as a great coworker) is critical, since it will likely take some time to prime the pump if any work is going to come.  When I first started looking for contact/remote work, I was putting it out on Facebook, on LinkedIn, to my friends, etc. regularly for about six months before I find my first contract.  Since then, it has gotten a lot easier.  I make it a habit to tell everyone I work with what a pleasure it has been to work with them, and to please keep me in mind for future work.

Sorry if that's more of a digression into contracting than remote work, but there's some crossover.

TheMCP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:02:35 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

I'm actually finding that as word gets around, I'm already starting to hear back from people about possible opportunities, which is encouraging since it sounds like my current job will be through the end of the year.  I may send some resumes out to online postings as a kind of due diligence (and because I'm curious if I'd even hear back), but maybe this won't be as difficult as I was thinking it might be.  Back when my career was just getting started, I was unemployed for about 5 months after 9/11 and the tech bubble burst.  That was a pretty brutal way to start to a career, and is something I'd like to avoid ever doing again.

I've always thought that a lot of the stuff you hear about software development (you can make XXX$ right out of college, and jobs are all over the place) is somewhat media-inflated... but if what I'm seeing is any indication, this field must be hotter than it was 10 years ago when I last looked.  I referenced the short term gig thing because back then, that's basically all I remember seeing.  I'm sure remote opportunities were available, but I feel like I'm seeing a lot of full time, full remote opportunities listed right out in the open.  Nice to see companies starting to realize that everybody doesn't have to be physically in the same place all the time.  My commute was the driving factor behind moving from where I was in the first place... such a waste of time.

Thanks again guys... onward and upward.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:47:20 AM »
Remote work exists, but as others have said alot of it is contract work or freelance gigs. Full time, salaried positions that are remote exist too, but the competition for those is pretty stiff. Still, I have had a few interviews over the last year while looking for that kind of job, but no offer yet.

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
Working remote is a great deal if you can get it.
I have done remote development from home since 1998.

No commute, no tiny cubicle, no people to deal with.
All communication is over VPN via VoIP, Text chat or email.

You might end up working longer hours but for me that is roughly
the equivalent to the time I would be commuting to a local office
so it becomes productive time not lost time.

When working from home, running VMWare (or equivalent) is a must.
Anything work related should be done in a VM separate from everything else.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »
The key to landing remote gigs is to be flexible with your travel. Many companies are nervous about people who refuse to travel at all, and won't hire them, even if they never need it. Most of the requisitions for people I work with say 25% or 50% travel required, but it is often just 2-3 trips a year, for no more than four days. If you were open to even more travel, I think you'd have no problem at all finding a good job.

Matumba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 11:23:52 AM »
Any websites you would recommend for finding remote work other than the usual,  meaning indeed and LinkedIn?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
I have always been curious about remote work/telecommuting and if it's something I'd get used to and like or if I'd go crazy. I have a friend who telecommutes for his work and he seems to have gotten used to it and prefers never to have to commute again haha. He does have to take trips to a branch location about 1hr away maybe once a week or once every few weeks but other than that he's just at home.

I suppose the other question to consider is if it's worth taking a telecommute job where the experience seems limited and there's not many paths of growth or opportunities to expand out and do different things (e.g. if you're locked into developing one or two apps alone and that's it). Compared to taking a local job that may not pay as much but offers better opportunities for growth and getting to work on a variety of different and new things. I dunno, what would you guys pick?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:35:40 AM by jplee3 »

moustacheverte

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 11:39:14 AM »
Any websites you would recommend for finding remote work other than the usual,  meaning indeed and LinkedIn?

wfh.io, weworkremotely.com, remoteok.io, jobs.github.com, authenticjobs.com

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
StackOverflow.com have job listings, which have a tendency to be higher-quality companies than run-of-the-mill job sites, and many of the jobs are for remote workers.

Matumba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 01:12:20 PM »
Thanks for the answers,  I am also using flexjobs.com.  It is a subscription website.  I subscribed a few months ago,  so far haven't found a lot of interesting jobs.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 05:22:23 PM »
You can search for telecommuting jobs on Dice.com and I believe Indeed as well. Don't discount getting hired somewhere a couple hours drive away and proving yourself and then being allowed to work from home so you stay instead of looking for another job.

I did this at my one job years ago, working from home most of the time after proving myself a few months so I could avoid the 2 hour one way commute. My current job came through the head honcho where I worked most recently, and he offered it to me as a work from home gig. So I just work from home instead of going into the office, even though it's only an hour away. As long as I get my work done, the people that count don't care.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!