Author Topic: Relocating to the USA and looking for a Job  (Read 3076 times)

RedKing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Relocating to the USA and looking for a Job
« on: November 22, 2017, 11:20:04 PM »
Hello fellow Mustachians,

My wife and me are moving to the USA next year April and both of us are looking for a job.

We are living in Dubai at the moment and our contracts end next year almost at the same time.

My wife is a licensed PT and a 3rd Dan Karate Coach with a license to issue belts up to 1st Dan with many years of experience in training Kids and Adults in Karate. She speaks English, Farsi (Persian) and a little Arabic.

I’m a Carpenter (from Germany) by trade with a “Meister” title and 9 years of experience but have been working as an Assistant Operations Manager in my current company including Project Management and planning/scheduling on Primavera P6. I speak English, German and Spanish.

My wife already has a green card and I will apply either for a spouse visa or will need a working visa
We didn’t decide on any particular city yet, we are completely free to move wherever we want too.
We are checking the normal online portals like indeed for jobs already but I was hoping that some one on the forum might know something or maybe have some job?

It would even be nice to have an interview or two as practice for interviews in the USA as they are different then the ones in Germany.

So, I hope that I will get some responses in any way. Even suggestions on where to move maybe.

Cheers and see you in the USA

RedK

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Relocating to the USA and looking for a Job
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
Congrats on your upcoming move.

I'd recommend looking at employment statistics as the entire US is not created equal when it comes to economic growth.  I'd probably put Denver and Dallas on the top of your list for large cities with robust economy, population growth, and a huge demand for housing.  They're also large enough cities to have diverse cultures. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »
You will be able to find immediate work in carpentry in Dallas or Houston, and since you speak English and Spanish you'll get along great with your coworkers. The P6 work will take longer to find and there will be more competition from people who don't need visa help, but any city will work for that.

Since Houston just had a tremendous flood, there's huge demand right now and you could honestly probably get paid by walking on to a construction site.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
Apply for the spousal green card ASAP if you are eligible. Work visas are a major pain in the ass and will make everything much more complicated.

RedKing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 02:54:17 AM »
Thanks to all so far for the replies.

I will definitely check out Denver, Dallas and Houston.

As I understand it takes a minimum of 7 months for the spouse visa to be approved or up to 4 years. During the process I can only come to the USA to visit (3 months max) and can not work until the visa is approved. So the 7 months would be a stretch on our savings with only 1 income, hoping that it will not take longer than this. That´s why I´m hoping to get a Work Visa instead.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:10:45 AM »
You will be able to find immediate work in carpentry in Dallas or Houston, and since you speak English and Spanish you'll get along great with your coworkers. The P6 work will take longer to find and there will be more competition from people who don't need visa help, but any city will work for that.

Since Houston just had a tremendous flood, there's huge demand right now and you could honestly probably get paid by walking on to a construction site.

Houston's flood has caused a lot of the carpentry labor force to leave Dallas and head to Houston looking for work and higher wages, so the demand here is about as high.

I agree with your comment, just walk on to job sites and meet people.  Someone with good carpentry skills will be sponsored for a work visa quickly

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
There is no work visa that's going to let you work right away. They all take months, or even years, to go through, if you can even get somebody to sponsor it.

You may think it can't be that difficult to get a job in a land of immigrants. You would be wrong.

IrishMustacian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:11:58 AM »
What kind of work visa are you planning to get? If you haven't already, I think it is worth reading up on the different visa options available to you and their associated rules, requirements, chances of success and timescales. I honestly would have thought that going through your wife's greencard would be the easiest option even with the long times involved, but I don't know much about your particular case and options.

For example, some work visas are explicitly non-immigrant (F-1 and J-1 for example) which means that you may be rejected when coming into the country if the border agent suspects you have intent to stay in the US permanently (so if they find out your wife is a US permanent resident for example). Some work visas have a lottery system, for example the H1-B, such that there is just a 30% chance of getting it even after getting a company to sponsor your application. 

Also, is it possible for you to go to the US on a tourist visa, and then apply for the greencard through your wife while there? In some circumstances people are given some sort of temporary work permit while they wait for the greencard to come through.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
There is no work visa that's going to let you work right away. They all take months, or even years, to go through, if you can even get somebody to sponsor it.

You may think it can't be that difficult to get a job in a land of immigrants. You would be wrong.

Construction foremen in Texas are not known for their strict adherence to immigration law. There is obviously a risk there, but Im still sure the OP could get paid quickly.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 11:12:06 PM »

Construction foremen in Texas are not known for their strict adherence to immigration law. There is obviously a risk there, but Im still sure the OP could get paid quickly.
This is incredibly bad advice. There are severe consequences to living and working without authorization in the US, to say nothing of the wild impracticality of living undocumented.

OP is a citizen of a top 5 superpower and has a direct shot at permanent residency through his wife. He is in a position that tens of millions would love to be in. Waiting a couple months and foregoing some wages is very cheap admission. OP, don't fuck this up. Research your options and be patient.

RedKing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 12:00:33 AM »
Wow,

The hole process requires a lot of reading through different types of visas and what needs to be considered and what needs to be submitted. We are actually contacting a lawyer in the USA to help and advise us and hopefully shorten the time for approval by avoiding missing documents or submitting wrong documents.

Maybe I should open a new thread for this, but i will post it her for now.

Any ideas for Karate or Sport Coach Jobs?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!