Author Topic: Reliable SUV's sub 15-20k  (Read 6177 times)

BoostJunky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Reliable SUV's sub 15-20k
« on: December 24, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
Hey everyone, I hope all are having a nice holiday season.

The wife and I are commited to getting out of our constant cycle of auto loans and are looking to buy a car instead of leasing again.

She has a Grand Cherokee now which she likes but it seems the quality on them from used stand point is not good in the year 15-16 model range.

Any other suggestions? We have a family so need something that fits all 4 of us OK.

We also live in the Northeast so it needs to be good in the winter.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Reliable SUV's sub 15-20k
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
What's your reasoning for needing an SUV, as opposed any other vehicle that fits four people and is good in the winter?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 09:09:48 AM »
Front wheel drive car.

Toyota Camry if you want luxury. Corolla if not so much.

If Toyotas are too expensive, Hyundai. Elantra or Elantra GT, or next size up. Front wheel drive + snow tires = good in winter.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
We bought a brand new Ford Escape in that range a few years ago.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
I'm still driving my 2005 Honda CRV.  Excellent reliability and resale value. Drives well in the snow. Holds kids and dogs and crap.
You could buy a 4-5 year old one at your price point.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »
If you have a garage, you have no reason not to get a set of winter tires/rims as they will do much more for safety and avoiding getting stuck than AWD will.

However, there are plenty of vehicles with AWD that can fit four adults and will be reliable.
 - Toyota RAV4
 - Honda CR-V
 - Mazda CX-5
 - Subaru Outback

You will get worse gas mileage and pay a bit more for those...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 07:11:46 PM by neo von retorch »

BoostJunky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »
What's your reasoning for needing an SUV, as opposed any other vehicle that fits four people and is good in the winter?

We go camping and haul a lot of crap and I prefer her to be in a bigger car honestly.

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
you'll probably bank on AWD and skip the winter tires... but you shouldn't.

Why is this such a common decision?  I don't get it.  Is it just that most Americans aren't experienced with real snow tires?  Or that we want to justify the larger vehicle?  Or something else?

BoostJunky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
you'll probably bank on AWD and skip the winter tires... but you shouldn't.

Why is this such a common decision?  I don't get it.  Is it just that most Americans aren't experienced with real snow tires?  Or that we want to justify the larger vehicle?  Or something else?

Anything I put her in gets snows.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 04:34:12 PM »
If you can get in a 5th gen Toyota 4Runner, many reports have shown to be them one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. You can find one in your price range.. A bit older and with higher miles, but the key is to find one that is maintained and well taken care of. Those cars should run 250k+ miles relatively trouble free.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 06:00:03 PM »
Good site for reliability info:
http://www.dashboard-light.com/

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »

We go camping and haul a lot of crap and I prefer her to be in a bigger car honestly.

We camp, drive a lot, haul a lot of crap and a dog and live in brutal winters with a family of four. No evidence that an SUV makes "her" safer, and certainly not anyone else on or near the road.  FWD with snow tires.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »
If you can get in a 5th gen Toyota 4Runner, many reports have shown to be them one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. You can find one in your price range.. A bit older and with higher miles, but the key is to find one that is maintained and well taken care of. Those cars should run 250k+ miles relatively trouble free.

Lol. 15-20k range puts you in a 150k mile 4Runner that still needs normal car maintenance. Shocks, ball joints, spark plugs etc. And you get the additional features of worn seats, peeling trim and undercarriage surface rust. Used 4Runners in that price range are just not a great deal.

Gas mileage is atrocious too, you’re lucky to get 20ish on the highway, and 14 around town is to be expected.

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
We got a three year old Kia Sorento for 18.5.  You should check out Kia.

naj89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »

We camp, drive a lot, haul a lot of crap and a dog and live in brutal winters with a family of four. No evidence that an SUV makes "her" safer, and certainly not anyone else on or near the road.  FWD with snow tires.
Do you have a suggestion for the OP? Seems like your needs are  somewhat similar, and perhaps your make/model would be worth providing so they can add it to their list for considering.

My apologies if you've previously mentioned it and I've overlooked it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »
I obviously don't know exactly where you live, but I live in MN and am a "her" and have always driven a sedan. Lots of trunk space, snow tires ("snowiest" as my mechanic calls them) and commuting 25 miles one way,  I'm perfectly fine.

We are considering a Fancy upgrade to a Camry. But SUV's are $$$$ and for what? Unless you are on an unpav d road, I don't get it.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »

Do you have a suggestion for the OP? Seems like your needs are  somewhat similar, and perhaps your make/model would be worth providing so they can add it to their list for considering.

My apologies if you've previously mentioned it and I've overlooked it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We currently have a Civic which is on the small side for a family of 4. Between rentals and family members with cars I can confirm that Accords and Camrys are very large and very economical from what I've seen.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »
We bought a brand new Ford Escape in that range a few years ago.
We got a three year old Kia Sorento for 18.5.  You should check out Kia.

The OP asked for reliable:
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Escape.html
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Kia_Sorento.html

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
Never heard of the dashboard-light website RWD.  We based our purchase off of consumer reports which gives Kia very good reviews. The dashboard website was for 2015 and earlier. One reason we liked the Kia is they are known for really improving quality over recent years. We felt the market prices still reflect older perceptions of the company so saw it as an opportunity to get more bang for our buck. Only time will tell I suppose. Going on a year without spending a penny on it, but it’s only 4 years old.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »
Never heard of the dashboard-light website RWD.  We based our purchase off of consumer reports which gives Kia very good reviews. The dashboard website was for 2015 and earlier. One reason we liked the Kia is they are known for really improving quality over recent years. We felt the market prices still reflect older perceptions of the company so saw it as an opportunity to get more bang for our buck. Only time will tell I suppose. Going on a year without spending a penny on it, but it’s only 4 years old.

Now you've heard of it. Dashboard Light is based on the condition of 1.8+ million actually inspected cars and focuses on drivetrain problems. Consumer Reports is user-reported surveys and has issues with transparency. The Sorento was redesigned in 2016 so maybe it's better now. Hopefully it will work out for you, but I think it's premature to recommend it as a good example of a known reliable vehicle.

bearman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
We got a 2006 Xterra a few years ago for $4k that needed $2k in work and is basically operationally perfect now. It's a great all-around SUV with 4wd but not too big. I'm a big fan of patiently searching Craigslist for a deal and then verifying quality with a dealer's inspection. I've done that 3 times now, and each was a winner. Would suggest thinking about approaching in that way because SUVs seem to get marked up an awful lot more at the dealer (used or new).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:22:56 PM by bearman »

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2019, 12:11:04 AM »
SUVs suck.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/

That article, in particular the part about towing that only considers horsepower as a limiting factor, is one of the really idiot pieces of advice MMM has given regarding vehicles.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2019, 05:27:23 AM »
I've had a Subaru for 3 years. I'm a fan. Also in the northeast and the AWD has been great in whatever weather mother  nature throws at us.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2019, 05:38:03 AM »
Lexus GX460/GX470.

I bought my 2005 GX470 in October 2016 for $8150. It's now just shy of 216k miles.  Fuel mileage is terrible...everything else is great.

BoostJunky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looking into RX350's as well, can be had for 18k and it's basically a Toyota it seems. Reliability ratings seem high.

4 Runner is a good truck but terrible MPG and they are stupid expensive for what year you can get for that price.

We had a Kia Optima in the past, wasn't a bad SUV but the quality was horrific. Didn't give us any problems in 3 years however.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2019, 06:16:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looking into RX350's as well, can be had for 18k and it's basically a Toyota it seems. Reliability ratings seem high.

4 Runner is a good truck but terrible MPG and they are stupid expensive for what year you can get for that price.

We had a Kia Optima in the past, wasn't a bad SUV but the quality was horrific. Didn't give us any problems in 3 years however.

The Toyota 4Runner/FJ and Lexus GX share the same chassis btw. All Lexus vehicles are basically Toyotas of one variety or another. :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2019, 06:18:51 AM »
Best of luck! Sounds like you know enough to make a decent choice and will add snow tires, and few vehicles available today are particularly bad choices, though of course there are some. The curious among us hope you report back when you're done!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 07:42:23 AM »

Thanks for that reference.  I was looking at a Nissan Rogue.  Think I will look elsewhere now...

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 10:09:35 AM »

Thanks for that reference.  I was looking at a Nissan Rogue.  Think I will look elsewhere now...

The Rogue was notorious for exploding transmissions, but they got a new model of transmission in 2015 that is supposed to be more reliable. The dashboard light website isn’t bad, but the data isn’t very complete.

We’ve got a 2016 Nissan Rogue with 83k miles on it. We have 0 need for an SUV, my wife bought it before we were married and she wanted something “rugged and sporty” looking. The Rogue is neither, but it hasn’t been an awful vehicle to own.

The pros are excellent gas mileage (29mpg lifetime average) and really comfortable seats. The CVT transmission hasn’t exploded yet, but we got it with a powertrain warranty to 100k miles.  Part of me wants the trans to grenade around 95k so we can get a new one and do another 95.

It’s slow and a bit loud inside, and it doesn’t have much steering feel if that’s something you’re concerned about. I doubt anyone on this site cares about those negatives though.

Something to note on the Rogue though is that the price is really right on them, ours was a one year old CPO for $20,000. The Forester and the CRV of similar age were an extra $5,000.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »
Lexus GX460/GX470.

I bought my 2005 GX470 in October 2016 for $8150. It's now just shy of 216k miles.  Fuel mileage is terrible...everything else is great.
And worth more now than when you purchased it.

Not great from the fuel consumption aspect but they hold their value amazingly and are rock solid.

I have to admit to scanning Craigslist and various sites hoping to find a 470 in good condition at a reasonable price but alas my efforts have yet to pay off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »

Lol. 15-20k range puts you in a 150k mile 4Runner that still needs normal car maintenance. Shocks, ball joints, spark plugs etc. And you get the additional features of worn seats, peeling trim and undercarriage surface rust. Used 4Runners in that price range are just not a great deal.

Gas mileage is atrocious too, you’re lucky to get 20ish on the highway, and 14 around town is to be expected.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=85298&showNegotiable=true&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&distance=150&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c24178&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c22465#listing=256000253

$21k, under 100k miles, 4x4, dry AZ weather so little to no rust..

My 2017 4Runner has a 3” lift and heavy Toyo RT 285/70r17 tires and I have never gotten 14 mpg around town.. Typically more like 16..

Not the best for people who could get by with a little economy vehicle or some other good fuel efficient auto, but it can still be a good vehicle for those that want a full size SUV, especially if they need to tow a bit.. We just towed our 3500# camper for 1500 miles and it did fantastic..

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »

That is BS. I don't give a flying crap what kind of car you think your wife should be in. What kind of vehicle does your wife what to be in?

BoostJunky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2019, 09:41:57 AM »

That is BS. I don't give a flying crap what kind of car you think your wife should be in. What kind of vehicle does your wife what to be in?

Damn, relax. lol

She doesn't care honestly, she would prefer to drive an SUV hence me asking about SUV's.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »

Gotta admit though, camping in a small car (the Matrix is our "big car") with two boys (one a teen), and a dog...really sucks.  I mean, even with the Thule box on top, we are packed to the gills for a multi-day camping trip, and we haven't yet tried it with our newly adopted dog.

If you camp like us, meaning once or twice a year, meh, get a Corolla or Camry and rent a vehicle for those trips.  We did that last time, it was totally worth it (though we didn't mean to rent a Yukon, that's all they had).  If you camp every weekend in the summer and are regularly putting a bunch of plywood in the back of the car for work on the home, then maybe look for a used small SUV.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »

Damn, relax. lol

She doesn't care honestly, she would prefer to drive an SUV hence me asking about SUV's.

That's a nonsensical response, and the opposite of what you originally said above.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:32:11 PM by charis »

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2019, 08:18:44 AM »
OP, you don't have to justify wanting an SUV to the folks on here. 

My wife and I were just returning from a wedding in Pittsburgh.  My brother was driving my Honda CRV and we hit a deer going 75 MPH on the turnpike.  We were all fine.  The officer said we would have been dead in a normal car, and I believe he is right.  This thing was a fully mature eight point buck.  It was huge.

That's one of many reasons.  Get in at waste level; more space to store stuff (very handy when I'm doing home improvement projects); better vision of the road, etc.

So get an SUV and don't feel guilty about it.

The CR-V that was totaled was a 2014 that I got for about $16,500 (about three years old, 36k miles at the time).  The newer CR-V I got when I had to get a new one was a 2016 that I got for $18,500 (about three years old, nicer trim model, about 40k miles).

People on here can express their opinions, and that's fine, but I'm the one who has to get in my car and drive it every day, so I'm not going to spend $10,000 on something I don't personally like.  I like SUVs, and it's worth $2-3k more.

If you can wait, and you're interested in a Honda, wait until June/July.  That's when all the three-year leases are up.  You'll have a ton to choose from at great prices.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2019, 08:58:52 AM »

Get in at waste level

Heh.

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »

Get in at waste level

Heh.

I haven't hit anything bigger than a gnat with my CR-V, but I think it is a solid car.  I don't think it counts as an SUV, but mine does have AWD (looking back, I would not get that), is quiet as a mouse, and is getting me about 30mpg in a commute that involves a 4000ft elevation gain. The back floor is flat, so it should fit the kids, and the dog can go in the back easily (mine knows to jump in when I open the trunk).  You can find a good used one for that price point.

The idea of renting when you camp isn't a bad one.  You would avoid the fuel economy and rollover risk of a large SUV, but would still be able to pack it up with lots of stuff when you need it.

BoostJunky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »

My wife and I were just returning from a wedding in Pittsburgh.  My brother was driving my Honda CRV and we hit a deer going 75 MPH on the turnpike.  We were all fine.  The officer said we would have been dead in a normal car, and I believe he is right.  This thing was a fully mature eight point buck.  It was huge.

That's one of many reasons.  Get in at waste level; more space to store stuff (very handy when I'm doing home improvement projects); better vision of the road, etc.

The CR-V that was totaled was a 2014 that I got for about $16,500 (about three years old, 36k miles at the time).  The newer CR-V I got when I had to get a new one was a 2016 that I got for $18,500 (about three years old, nicer trim model, about 40k miles).

People on here can express their opinions, and that's fine, but I'm the one who has to get in my car and drive it every day, so I'm not going to spend $10,000 on something I don't personally like.  I like SUVs, and it's worth $2-3k more.

If you can wait, and you're interested in a Honda, wait until June/July.  That's when all the three-year leases are up.  You'll have a ton to choose from at great prices.

Thanks for the reply.  I do agree. CR-V's are fantastic cars and it's on our list. People seem to hold them for a long time.

My wife hit a deer with my daughter in the car 3 months ago and if she was in a small car I don't know if they would have made it. That right there makes me get another. We live in deerville in the northeast.

CR-V / RX350 is in the running. Maybe a hybrid Lexus SUV but I've never owned a hybrid before.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
I recently bought a 2013 Rav4 with low miles for a little over $15k. Great car.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »
\ My brother was driving my Honda CRV and we hit a deer going 75 MPH on the turnpike.  We were all fine.  The officer said we would have been dead in a normal car, and I believe he is right.

Respectfully (I mean it!) that data set is incomplete *and* anecdotal. How does the officer know that you would be "dead" in a normal car? That makes no sense... how is he so sure? What would a normal car have done? Where is the data? Did he crash 100 cars in the same way? It's conjecture

And it has survivorship bias written all over it. The CRV could be super unsafe but you were in the 10% chance that it survived.

It's perpetuating a perception of safety that most people get SUVs for without thinking about it. It's unnecessary. Modern cars are incredibly safe, in some circumstances an SUV is safer, in some less safe (rollover). A 2015 sedan is objectively safer than a 1995 SUV in every category.

You'll get a lot of heat in this forum for wanting an SUV without supporting the reasons because it's an unnecessary expense with no return. There are reasons to get an SUV, but "just wanting one" is definitely something to feel guilty for ;)

Ok, Facepunch over

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2019, 05:03:01 PM »
My wife hit a deer with my daughter in the car 3 months ago and if she was in a small car I don't know if they would have made it. That right there makes me get another.

What about a minivan?

Also, something to consider; an SUV might be safer than a sedan should you get in an accident, but it's easier to avoid an accident in the first place in a sedan. Lighter weight and lower COG make for better handling and braking (especially in the snow).

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »

Get in at waste level

Heh.

I had knee surgery two years ago that never fully healed . Not having to bend down (sedan) or get up (truck) is a big deal. I dont have to get up or down at all to get in an SUV because it's waist high. Sorry if that didn't make sense.

And also sorry for my egregious typo.

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
OP, you mention space and this morning it occurred to me that Jeep is particularly bad about interior space while Honda is psrticularly good.

Guess which car has more cargo space no matter what the seat configuration?

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »

Get in at waste level

Heh.

I had knee surgery two years ago that never fully healed . Not having to bend down (sedan) or get up (truck) is a big deal. I dont have to get up or down at all to get in an SUV because it's waist high. Sorry if that didn't make sense.

The slip on "waste level" had Freudean undertones (SUV's being wasteful and all!)... I'm pretty sure it was understood what you meant ;)

Have you looked into tall hatchbacks for ease of getting in? Second Gen Scion XB was great for this. It's spiritual successor is the Corolla iM, although I'm not sure if the seats are as upright in that vehicle.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »

Get in at waste level

Heh.

The slip on "waste level" had Freudean undertones (SUV's being wasteful and all!)... I'm pretty sure it was understood what you meant ;)

Have you looked into tall hatchbacks for ease of getting in? Second Gen Scion XB was great for this. It's spiritual successor is the Corolla iM, although I'm not sure if the seats are as upright in that vehicle.
^^^ That was what I found funny.  Also, the roadkill aspect.

I think a CRV is a fine choice for many. I don't think it's any safer or more dangerous than many other options though.

Gonna need a Canyonero for a proper squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
I think a CRV is a fine choice for many. I don't think it's any safer or more dangerous than many other options though.

Yep; I think agonizing over safety on modern vehicles is focusing energy a bit too much in the wrong direction. Anything from 2015+ will be safer than any vehicle from 2001. It's like switching from eating candy to eating vegetables and worrying about whether broccoli or spinach is better for you.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
I'm perhaps beating a played-out thread here, but having recently shopped for a SUV in the 15-20k price range, I figured I'd go ahead and share my experience.

From what I've seen, it will be difficult to find a reliable SUV in that price range that gives you the space you have in the Jeep Cherokee.  If you're looking at cars that are a few years old, that price range will be mostly RAV-4s, CR-Vs, Mazda MX-6s, and Subaru Foresters, all of which are likely to feel too small if you're used to a Cherokee.  Most of the mid-sized SUVs in that price range have serious reliability issues (Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Chevy Traverse, Nissan Rogue, various Jeeps).  If you're willing to go older and higher mileage, you'll have more possibilities, but obviously such vehicles come with maintenance and repair commitments.

After considerable searching, I managed to find a 2010 Toyota Highlander that looked like new, had no rust, and only had 68k miles.  But because it was almost 10 years old, it fit within my price range.  That was truly a lucky find.  I looked at several 4-runners, but the only ones that were even close to my price range had high miles and rust underneath.

I also wanted to share my experience with snow driving.  I've spent 16 winters in an area that gets a decent amount of snow, and during that time I've owned and driven front wheel drive sedans, as well as 4 wheel drive pickups and SUVs.  In my experience, there is a definite difference in performance.  I find that a front wheel drive sedan with good tires does fine in small amounts of snow and ice, and on mostly flat city streets and highways that get plowed and treated.  But if you have to drive up steep hills, or through unplowed snow that is more than about 3 inches deep, you run a high risk of getting stuck.  Four wheel drive vehicles can handle those situations, unless the snow gets deep enough to drag the underside of the car.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2020, 10:04:46 PM »
I just sold my 2010 RX350 with 255k miles for $8k.

Original owner, all maintenance records, and sold it to the first buyer who came to see it. Rock solid car, would recommend it to anyone in the market for a used SUV.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!