Author Topic: Reliable Refrigerator Replacement  (Read 4134 times)

kaizen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Reliable Refrigerator Replacement
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »
The freezer of our refrigerator/freezer failed the other night, causing us to cook a whole lot of food, throw out a good amount of food, and scramble to find another storage spot for the human milk stash. The freezer, nearly empty, started working again the next day. Yesterday the repairman recommended buying a new one since the part needed would cost $650.

This happened last year and the freezer started working again the next day after much stress... if we did not have to store breastmilk (which must be used w/i 24 hrs of defrosting) I would be fine with the risk, but we need a reliable machine.

So I'd like to ask the Mustachian community - what would you suggest? Our current machine is a large one, LG brand. The picture attached shows the stats. I've never bought anything this large/important on craigslist. (I've actually never bought a fridge, come to think of it...)

I'm about to head out for a day long playdate, but I look forward to reading the wisdom of the Mustachians this evening. Thanks all!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Reliable Refrigerator Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:27:19 AM »
Sadly, reliability is quite variable these days.  I would not purchase LG or Samsung, as repairing the Korean made appliances is expensive and it can take a long time to order parts.

Nords often references a DIY appliance repair site, I think it's Appliance Samurai.  You might have a look at that and youtube.  Depending on the nature of the part, you may be able to get the part yourself and install it for a lot less money.  Getting the part will be the challenge.

Among the US brands, I have had less trouble with the Whirlpool and GE refrigerator brands.  Avoid Frigidaire, their refrigerators are garbage.  Both Home Depot and Lowes have good sales on, at least through today.  Haven't seen the new ads for this week yet.  If you go new, stick to the more basic models with fewer parts that can and will break.  Circuit boards seem to be in all appliances these days, and they are often the culprit in a breakdown.

VegasStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's not really hiking if you don't pack water
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
Google "Freezer to Fridge conversion".  People use chest freezers with a relatively cheap modification to perform like refrigerators.  Lower energy usage in general, better long term solution due to lower usage of the hardware of the freezer in order to maintain a 35-37 degree internal temperature...but they don't fit in a 'refrigerator hole' in the standard kitchen layout.  We actually have a garage fridge that we're considering replacing by this if/when I get off my duff and make it happen...probably when the existing 'fridge dies or I find a cheap chest fridge on Craigslist.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
It would be helpful if you mention what you paid for it and how old it is.  For example, if you said 20 years old, I would say dump it.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »
Nords often references a DIY appliance repair site, I think it's Appliance Samurai.  You might have a look at that and youtube.  Depending on the nature of the part, you may be able to get the part yourself and install it for a lot less money.  Getting the part will be the challenge.
Yep-- FixItNow.com.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
Google "Freezer to Fridge conversion".  People use chest freezers with a relatively cheap modification to perform like refrigerators.  Lower energy usage in general, better long term solution due to lower usage of the hardware of the freezer in order to maintain a 35-37 degree internal temperature...but they don't fit in a 'refrigerator hole' in the standard kitchen layout.  We actually have a garage fridge that we're considering replacing by this if/when I get off my duff and make it happen...probably when the existing 'fridge dies or I find a cheap chest fridge on Craigslist.

I tried this with an upright freezer... was nice in the winter, but once spring came around and the humidity went up, it dripped water everywhere from condensation, all over the food/containers and such, big puddle at the bottom, was a real mess.
Just resold it (at a $50 profit ^^) and bought a regular refrigerator.

Don't know if it'd be the same with a chest freezer, or if you need an auto-defrost freezer for it, or what the deal is.