Author Topic: Reliable Cheap Remote File Backup Site?  (Read 1125 times)

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
Reliable Cheap Remote File Backup Site?
« on: August 21, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
Anyone have any recommendations for a good file backup site? We have lots of files we'd be devastated to lose, mainly pictures and personal recorded music. Currently we have multiple computers and 4-5 external hard drives to create a backup copy of most files. But that doesn't protect us if they are stolen or if there is a fire. I'm guessing we'd need 2TB of space.

Ideally I'd be looking for automatic backup of pictures as they are downloaded to the computer along with music as it is created. There would also be "one-time" backup of files that are static and on external hard drives (not necessarily on the computer that would be connected to auto backup). Ideally, this would be accessible remotely and have the ability to save/push files to remotely when on vacation since our laptop has limited hard drive space (only 128GB).

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Re: Reliable Cheap Remote File Backup Site?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 04:38:17 PM »
I personally pay for OneDrive for $99/year and I get 1TB of storage. I can share that account with up to 5 people and everyone can download their own copy of Office 365. I shared my account with 3 others and kept 2 myself. I split the price and only pay $40/year for the 2 I own and others pay $20 each per year. Been using it for 6 years and no issues so far. works flawlessly and automatically syncs to all computers I have, if I choose to do so. I treat 1 account as cold storage and the other for more active files.

cangelosibrown

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »
Amazon Prime does unlimited photo backup, if you're a prime member. It's a good option if most of your volume is photos and you'd get use from the rest of the service. I'm pretty paranoid, so I have all my photos on Amazon, plus  have a hard drive at 2 different family members houses.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »
I use backblaze for cheap offsite backups.  $6/mo per computer unlimited data, or .005/gb/month for basic cloud storage.