Author Topic: relationship/starting my moustachian journey  (Read 3357 times)

paulsta234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
relationship/starting my moustachian journey
« on: July 03, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
Hey i would be so grateful for any advice this whole forum is really a fantastic community i hope to get more involved in.

So I'm from melbourne australia, over the past few years I keep coming back to wanting to start working towards financial freedom.
Me and my girlfriend are raft guides which means we spend one season (5months) rafting in one place then go to a new place. It's a pretty cool job, ive been doing it for about 2 years, the trouble is it's very inconsistent income as i only get work when customers want to come rafting, the pay isnt amazing i made 11,000 nzd in the last 6 months. a few more seasons could mean i make more money maybe 20,000 in 6 months.

A big part of me wants to move back to melbourne, start working an entry level job, start studying online part time for a better career, maybe programming, accounting or financial planning. the consistent income would make it so much easier to achieve.
i am sick of being unstable financially and i worry about having nothing when i cant work anymore. i want to be making progress.

The problem is my girlfriend is all about rafting, travelling and experiences now (short-term), not thinking about long term.
since we have been dating (1 year) i have been choosing her and putting this dream at the back of my mind, i think im realising its one or the other.
when i talk to her she says we'll figure something out shell try long distance, but i know shes counting on the fact ill come back to rafting because i love it and i do.
but sometimes that is not enough.

Going to melb is a big move and i do change my mind a lot, there is a lot riding on it, i guess im worried if i go to melb ill be super happy about starting to make progress to FI. but im worried i might not be happy because im not working outside doing something fun, then again im not happy now because my finances aren't in order.

thoughts? and thanks for reading

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
Re: relationship/starting my moustachian journey
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
Which path do you think you'll be happier with in 10 years? 

I tend to lean towards the fact that you need to choose yourself in your life since you cannot control how someone else will feel or change over time but that's just my take on it. 

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:18:40 PM »
Hey, nice to see another one from Melbourne!

I'm not familiar with rafting jobs, do you get free accommodation with that? Are you managing to save money on your current income?

I guess if it turns out a desk job isn't your thing and you miss the rafting, it would still be easy enough to get back to that?

As you say you're not happy now, it seems like you might as well try something different and see if that gives you more contentment.

paulsta234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 11:05:10 PM »
yeah i do get cheaper accomodation instead of 150 per week for a room in melbourne it's 25 a week. so that's a saving of about 6000 a year. No not really saving any money right now, my next season i should get paid a bit more. where are you in melbourne?

thanks for the advice guys

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 11:43:20 PM »
That's good that you have cheaper accommodation at least, but yeah I can see why you want to try something else when it's difficult to save on the low income. Ideally most of us want to have a life that's not only enjoyable but also make enough money to save. I'm northside inner Melbourne suburb, there are a few of us scattered around in Melbourne on these forums. :))

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 12:57:58 AM »
If you are not saving at the moment is it because there is no plan? This may not be an all or nothing situation if you carefully look at what you are doing. Is there a bit of an off duty party culture amongst your workmates?
As you have comparatively short contracts, could you work half the year rafting, and study for the rest of the year?
I would suggest you and your girlfriend have some serious talks about your goals, and what a future 5 or 10 years down the line might look like together. I suspect your paths are not going align in the long term.

paulsta234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 01:14:06 AM »
well the last 9 months i have been trying to make it a priority, i was putting 20% in my australian super which is  now at (22,054) i have only been able to contribute about 2500 to that in the last year. There is totally an off duty party culture among workmates i mainly only partook when i had to when it was someones birthday, im so over that culture. i could have done better, part of the problem is the low income and part of it the fact i always go off on entrepeneurial tangents and sometimes put money towards them and then change my mind. Yes i could study for half the year and have been thinking about just studying at night-time. yeah i have been trying to have that conversation lately, it's hard when my girlfriend thinks i might just change my mind again.
It also worries me about making these big decisions, that i might change my mind again in the future.

thanks

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 01:42:31 AM »
I know a few people who work in the ski industry. What was an exciting life in their 20s and 30s, looks a bit tragic in their 40s and 50s as they continue transient lifestyles with lots of drinking, and no real home base.
I suspect rafting may a bit similar.
But back to basics. Track your income and expenditure for a few months. Be certain you know where the money is really going.
Any debts? Got an emergency fund?
Low income or high income, the habits which lead to financial stabilty can be learnt. Heaps of good advice on this forum, for all income levels. Instead of thinking about all the big decisions, just take a step at a time and do some of the small things to improve your finances.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 02:27:47 AM »
I did a part-time degree, studying from home at night while working during the day.

If you are afraid that you'll change your mind, you can always try this out while continuing the life you lead now. If you find you're truly interested in pursueing a degree / corporate career, you can always move home in a few months to try and find an office job.

You say you keep changing your mind and pursuing different things. Maybe you need to set yourself a goal and say you're going to try this thing or that thing for at least 1 year instead of giving up at the first setback. Even though you experience setbacks, that doesn't mean something isn't worth doing. You shouldn't continue doing things you actively dislike, but to succeed at anything you do need self-discipline.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 05:19:45 AM »
Your job sounds like an exciting one, compared to our bored office jobs. But I do understand your frustration about having irregular low income and a party culture at your workmates. If you don't want to join the party, you are not as much part of the group. But it feels dumb to waste all your money on beer. Just don't think that working in an office is so great either, it just pays better. On the other hand, I have understood that housing prices in Australian cities are insane, so a lot of the money might go there. Highly paid office work can be very stressful.

One of my colleagues was living the good life until he was 30. He is now a full time programmer, with a family and a house and nothing saved up. On the other hand, 30 is not too late to start saving.

+ 1 for having talks with your GF about your future in 5-10 years. If you are ready to leave this life and your GF wants to continue living like this for years, you might have grown apart from her.

Isn't it so that Australians can take lots of weeks of from work? Like months at the time? Could you combine a job in the city with doing some occasional rafting stuff? Or would that be a not so smart financial thing to do?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
I love outdoor activities as do most of the people I know. I've seen three lifestyles around this:

1. industry job [fun, low pay, lots of time off]
2. non-industry job in a good location [less fun, medium pay, less time off, but you are able to ski/surf/bike/raft right where you are]
3. non-industry job in a big city [even less fun, high pay, less time off]

You are doing #1. That works if you are okay with having to go full dirt bag to save any money and you'll always be short on cash, but big on time and smiles. You can save/invest and get somewhere financially, but it will be slower and your end point will be a lot lower than the other options. That said if you are super cost-efficient [ie. living in a van, limited partying and eating out, etc..] you don't need a lot of money to live your life. The problem is the 40 year old you better still be okay with this since it will be hard to change directions later.

I had a friend that was a bank manager in Whistler - option #2. She made a decent income. Lived a lower cost lifestyle and enjoyed the amazing location she was in. She didn't have months off each year, but if she had a morning free she could go bike, ski, swim, hike, etc.. and get back to something else with minimal hassle because she traded career progression at the bank with living someplace she loved.

I'm doing #3...I've lived in decent, but not my ideal places. I've made a lot of money and taken a lot of time off [1-4 months a year], but the downside is I have to leave where I am to get to the places I really want to be. The upside is if I had been more efficient with my spending I could have been retired at 40 with no issues and had a ton of my life left to do fun stuff. I found MMM late so I'll be more like 51-52 when I FIRE.

Looking back on things I'd either do what I did, but save more earlier or do option #2 and make a decent wage someplace amazing and work a bit longer. The lack of financial security and required very low spending of option #1 don't appeal to me. You have to look at your own options and decide what trade offs you are willing to make. I don't think there is a wrong answer here "if" you are honest with yourself.

On the GF front if she is absolutely "The One!" then it makes sense to try and make it work while pursuing your own goals with some inevitable compromises along the way. That said from my perspective at nearly 50 I can tell you the planet is chock full of amazing ladies so if your current GF is not a good life match with where you want to head don't feel like it's her or nothing. You will meet someone else awesome and if you pick well she'll be better aligned with your life plan.

Since you sound unsure about some of the key issues here I'll leave you with one last thought. If in doubt take the path that limits you the least. If you go back to school and/or the big city to get a high[er] paying job you can always go back to rafting or some other outdoor rec job. OTOH if you spend 10 more years not getting where you want to go and then try and break out into a professional gig it will much much harder.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:10:45 AM by Retire-Canada »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
Start applying to entry level jobs now to see what it's like. I'm concerned that you will move to an HCOL city and then not be able to get a job. If you can get a certificate first then move that would make it easier.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
I went rafting in West Virginia and met a guide that had a "regular" job in Washington DC., then 2 weekends a month worked as a guide on the river.  He was the extra staff for the weekends which were much busier.   He was in his 40's.  The rafting season is about 5-6 months so we are only talking about 10 weekends away from home.  He had a family, a stable life, money and still pursued his passion regularly. 

Perhaps something like that is a more realistic goal?

south of 61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
I love outdoor activities as do most of the people I know. I've seen three lifestyles around this:

1. industry job [fun, low pay, lots of time off]
2. non-industry job in a good location [less fun, medium pay, less time off, but you are able to ski/surf/bike/raft right where you are]
3. non-industry job in a big city [even less fun, high pay, less time off]

You are doing #1. That works if you are okay with having to go full dirt bag to save any money and you'll always be short on cash, but big on time and smiles. You can save/invest and get somewhere financially, but it will be slower and your end point will be a lot lower than the other options. That said if you are super cost-efficient [ie. living in a van, limited partying and eating out, etc..] you don't need a lot of money to live your life. The problem is the 40 year old you better still be okay with this since it will be hard to change directions later.

I had a friend that was a bank manager in Whistler - option #2. She made a decent income. Lived a lower cost lifestyle and enjoyed the amazing location she was in. She didn't have months off each year, but if she had a morning free she could go bike, ski, swim, hike, etc.. and get back to something else with minimal hassle because she traded career progression at the bank with living someplace she loved.

I'm doing #3...I've lived in decent, but not my ideal places. I've made a lot of money and taken a lot of time off [1-4 months a year], but the downside is I have to leave where I am to get to the places I really want to be. The upside is if I had been more efficient with my spending I could have been retired at 40 with no issues and had a ton of my life left to do fun stuff. I found MMM late so I'll be more like 51-52 when I FIRE.

I think the 1,2,3 really nails it.

I was doing #3 (in Sydney, Australia) - then I had a 'quarter life crisis' and jumped into #1 (in Canada) for a couple of years. Loved every minute of it, but it wasn't sustainable for me. Now (10 years later, I'm married and have a kid and) I'm doing #2 - I have a well (but not high like it used to be) paying job and live exactly where I did when I was doing #1 - with a great work / life balance - lots of time for fun stuff and enough $ to live comfortably / save moderately.

So while you've considered 1 and 3, I really recommend you have a think about option 2 as well.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »
I agree very much with Retire-Canada's perspective. Option 2 might be a good fit for you esp as your girlfriend is probably more likely to be willing to do this.

Something else I thought of is whether you'd be willing to do better-paid parttime work and then do the rafting on the side? So let's say a 24h/week "office job" (or whatever other type of job you're interested in) and 1 or 2 days of rafting. That's basically the option between #1 and #2 as described by Retire-Canada.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
Sure, it could be your financial plan or your GF. Clarity can be hard to come by in these situations.

Flip the situation on its head. She is so sure she is all about this stuff NOW that she offered a long-distance relationship - in other words, she would not follow you elsewhere, and you're following her right now.

That said, you don't have to leave your GF and move to an expensive area to get your feet wet (dry?) in a new job. Programming has tons of free options (or cheap ones) to see if it's the thing for you (and if you don't LOVE chasing more and more programming knowledge, it's probably not the career you will want a decade or two in anyway).

paulsta234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 03:08:56 AM »
Hey everyone just wanted say thanks for your feedback and suggestions, some really valuable stuff. I realised i have been thinking about the positves of going to melbourne (better income, more stability) but not the negatives (being away from my GF, having an office job instead of a cool outdoor job.)

I have just been dwelling on the negatives of my job because i have been rafting in winter and its cold, but most raft seasons are summer.

i realised even if i went to melbourne it would still take a few years to of studying/experience to move into a role above $50,0000

This next season is looking like it will be better money wise, It would be a shame to give up right before my last four seasons of experience start paying off and my income starts to increase. I'm going to start really focusing on my saving rate and cutting my spending which is the most important factor and because i dont have a huge amount begin with it will force me to be really frugal.
and for myself cos the job is fun i dont need to go on holidays as much. my girlfriend does so i can just let her go off and ill keep rafting putting those dollars to work.

thanks guys, this forum is such a great community