Author Topic: Refrigerators... why... just why  (Read 27081 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Refrigerators... why... just why
« on: June 11, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »
Ok, we will need a fridge starting July 1st or so (closing then and don't have a fridge).

It seems that:

• Most are absurdly fancy and overpriced (do people really buy the $2k+ ones?)
  • Variation on prices is +/- 50% for the same model
  • Something is always heavily discounted

Is there a "best" way to shop for a fridge? We're going to try to sign up for the Chase 50k rewards card before committing to a purchase. Ideally find a fridge which has a scratch or blemish, I guess. Not very many stores locally that have refrigerators though.

Strategy so far was look at stuff in stores then go online and find good prices. Looks like Goedekers is going to kill the stores in pricing. I like the french door ones and this one at $1,068.99 seems reasonable enough.

Is there a better way? It feels like a racket.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
Re: Refrigerators... why... just why
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »
I recently also went through this ridiculousness. I ended up buying that same fridge. I used a $100 gift card from my Uncle, my current travel points card, and made the purchase through a cash-back portal. I can also get $50 from my city utilities for 'recycling' my old 'working' fridge (it is 20+ years old, freezes everything, the seals leak, condensation/mildew everwhere, etc etc).

If you have the means to transport and possibly store one, I saw many seemingly-acceptable fridges on Craigslist for decent-to-excellent prices. I ended up not going that route because many of the deals disappeared quickly before I could arrange transport and I was a bit concerned about failure/repairs.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
We bought one on craigslist from a couple in a ritzy neighborhood who was converting their whole kitchen to stainless steel. It worked out pretty well for us.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 07:19:46 PM »
Lowes and Home Depot often have this model for $998 on their holiday sales.  Since they did not have it on sale at that price for Memorial Day, my bet is it will be on sale at that price for July 4th.  You can save an extra 5 percent with a Lowes credit card or Discover will have 5 percent cash back at home improvement stores starting July 1st.  July 4th is Monday, so expect the sale to start on June 30th.  No guarantee that model will be on sale, though.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »
We bought one on craigslist from a couple in a ritzy neighborhood who was converting their whole kitchen to stainless steel. It worked out pretty well for us.

Exactly what we did. Got a huge fridge that would probably have cost 3x as much new, and it still works perfectly 3 years later.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »
Criagslist. Just make sure it's been manufactured in the last 5 years and is energy efficient.

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
Lowes and Home Depot often have this model for $998 on their holiday sales.  Since they did not have it on sale at that price for Memorial Day, my bet is it will be on sale at that price for July 4th.  You can save an extra 5 percent with a Lowes credit card or Discover will have 5 percent cash back at home improvement stores starting July 1st.  July 4th is Monday, so expect the sale to start on June 30th.  No guarantee that model will be on sale, though.

Also, buy a 10% off Lowes coupon from Ebay for a few bucks to knock it down further.   The Home Depot will take those coupons as well.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-1x-Lowes-10-Off-Coupons-Exp-AUGUST-15-2016-PRINTABLE-FAST-EMAIL-/252421065346?hash=item3ac577ca82:g:enwAAOSw3ihXTE1S

ThunderCats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »

Exactly what we did. Got a huge fridge that would probably have cost 3x as much new, and it still works perfectly 3 years later.

We did the same thing.  Amazing how many families "need" to upgrade to stainless steel.  Ours was just a couple of years old, runs great, looks great, and I think it was just like $400 or $450.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »
If you happen to be a veteran/active duty military Lowes gives you 10% off all the time, you just have to ask and show an ID.  That would save buying a coupon

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
Ender, we bought that fridge in white last year when our old Samsung's compressor went out.  Very happy with it so far.

Craigslist can be good if you're able to transport.  We bought a pretty decent side-by-side for our rental from CL for like $200 and it worked perfectly for the ~4 years we had the place rented out.  Didn't go that route for the new one because I wanted this specific fridge and didn't have the option to wait around for one to pop up.

You might check on the Sears Outlet site.  When I was looking, they had a couple listed, but they weren't available at our local store, so the savings wasn't as significant once shipping was added.

When we bought ours, one of my credit cards was doing 5% cash back at grocery stores, so I bought Lowe's gift cards there, racked up tons of fuel points, plus the cash back, and combined it with one of the 10% off Lowe's coupons. 

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 10:32:49 PM »
We went to Best Buy and found a "dented" one and it was 50% off!  Nothing wrong with the thing unless you looked really really close.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 11:39:34 PM »
If it's any consolation, our counter-depth (appliance-speak for holds less but costs more) fridge cost $2300. We price shopped hard and it came from NY, which is even more crazy, as we're in CA. It only had so-so reviews. We bought it anyway because it was the only option that fit into the custom cabinet and matched the existing appliances. Three years later, we're still hoping the other shoe doesn't fall.

Except that the microwave just went out. Would you believe $1200? Who in fuck's name pays that for a microwave? Fortunately, we found one on CL for $350. Still ain't cheap, but better than $1200. Oh yeah, it's 400 miles away from here, but we have to go that way anyway, so we'll pick it up, schlep it home and DH will install. Oy.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 02:06:43 AM »
If you're in the States when you sign up to change your address online you'll get email offers including 10% off coupons for Lowes.  They also send the same coupons in paper form to your new address. 

Also, buy a 10% off Lowes coupon from Ebay for a few bucks to knock it down further.   The Home Depot will take those coupons as well.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-1x-Lowes-10-Off-Coupons-Exp-AUGUST-15-2016-PRINTABLE-FAST-EMAIL-/252421065346?hash=item3ac577ca82:g:enwAAOSw3ihXTE1S

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 06:49:39 AM »
Lots of good feedback!
Ender, we bought that fridge in white last year when our old Samsung's compressor went out.  Very happy with it so far.
I recently also went through this ridiculousness. I ended up buying that same fridge. I used a $100 gift card from my Uncle, my current travel points card, and made the purchase through a cash-back portal. I can also get $50 from my city utilities for 'recycling' my old 'working' fridge (it is 20+ years old, freezes everything, the seals leak, condensation/mildew everwhere, etc etc).

Our city has a $100 electric rebate for an energy star fridge, which is one reason we are looking at the fancier stuff. Glad to know other folks found the same one we're looking at :-)

If you have the means to transport and possibly store one, I saw many seemingly-acceptable fridges on Craigslist for decent-to-excellent prices. I ended up not going that route because many of the deals disappeared quickly before I could arrange transport and I was a bit concerned about failure/repairs.

This is one place where not having a big vehicle hurts.

You might check on the Sears Outlet site.  When I was looking, they had a couple listed, but they weren't available at our local store, so the savings wasn't as significant once shipping was added. 

We did, but the nearest in store item was about 400 miles away... :(

If you're in the States when you sign up to change your address online you'll get email offers including 10% off coupons for Lowes.  They also send the same coupons in paper form to your new address. 

I totally forgot about this but you are right!  We are lucky because we have nearly a month of transition period between when we HAVE to move out and can move in. So we can have all our perishables in our current fridge during this overlap.

Now I'm curious how quickly the Chase 50k sapphire card would get approved/sent. I've been thinking that this might be the only time we might spend $4k in the three month window.

This is good to know. We went to Lowe's yesterday to browse and the guy said they often have stuff on sale for Father's Day or the 4th of July, so that might work out. If we got it for $998 we'd really be paying out of pocket about $800+tax ($100 city credit and 10% off). Hrmmm. That's a price point I can tolerate :)

If it's any consolation, our counter-depth (appliance-speak for holds less but costs more) fridge cost $2300. We price shopped hard and it came from NY, which is even more crazy, as we're in CA. It only had so-so reviews. We bought it anyway because it was the only option that fit into the custom cabinet and matched the existing appliances. Three years later, we're still hoping the other shoe doesn't fall.

Yeah, the main reason we are looking at this big of a fridge is that the kitchen in the house we're buying was recently remodeled and as a result has a HUGE hole for the fridge. We'd be ok with a smaller one, but it'd be super awkward fitting. And the sellers wanted $1500 for their 4-year-old-even-fancier-fridge. lol NOPE!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »
For me personally, I'd just get a simple, no-frills fridge.  Who cares if the hole is bigger than the fridge?  We bought a new one ($550?) when we moved into our first house 11 years ago, and it's going strong.

A couple years ago, our next-door neighbors practically gave us a fancy freezer-on-bottom, french door fridge with ice maker and water dispenser.  We've had no problems with it, but despite being 6" wider than our boring fridge, it seems to be able to hold less food.  Maybe it's the fact that the shelves are split, so they can be at different heights on the two sides, or maybe it's the fact that the shelves are shallower.  But this fridge, which I'm certain was >$2k when new, is less functional as a fridge than our old one.  Yes, we use the ice maker and water dispenser all the time.  But if it were up to me, I'd stick with a simple fridge.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 07:55:36 AM »
We have hardware stores in Wisconsin (Menard's) that will rent you a pickup truck for $20 for the first hour and a half.

I would check around your area for a store that does the same and do that for a craigslist deal. 

For a meal, I would help a friend with a haul within 50 miles of my home using my Ranger(ok, really even without getting a meal).  Do you know anybody as kindhearted and humble as me? :)

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »

...It only had so-so reviews. We bought it anyway because it was the only option that fit into the custom cabinet and matched the existing appliances. ...

I am using my mind as best I can, trying to imagine the bad thing that happens when one's refrigerator does not match the existing appliances.

I can't seem to get anything to come... can anyone help me out on this? 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »
We recently had to replace our fridge. We got a pretty basic 18 cubic foot model from Sears for about $600. Delivery and recycling of the old one were included in that price. It was also Energy Star rated so we got a $50 rebate from the electric utility and it should have reasonable operating cost as well. Probably could have done a bit better scouring Craigslist for a good deal, but I was happy enough to pay a bit extra to both get something with a bit more life left in it, and also not have to deal with renting a truck, hauling the new fridge myself, and disposing of the old one.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »

Now I'm curious how quickly the Chase 50k sapphire card would get approved/sent. I've been thinking that this might be the only time we might spend $4k in the three month window.

IIRC, it took about 10 days from applying to receiving the card.

If you go with the Whirlpool, you might check availability.  It was back ordered for a month when we bought it, so we had to make do with a small wine fridge for a few weeks waiting for it to be delivered.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Estate sales are a good way to get appliances.  But you have to get there early.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »
For me personally, I'd just get a simple, no-frills fridge.  Who cares if the hole is bigger than the fridge?  We bought a new one ($550?) when we moved into our first house 11 years ago, and it's going strong.

A couple years ago, our next-door neighbors practically gave us a fancy freezer-on-bottom, french door fridge with ice maker and water dispenser.  We've had no problems with it, but despite being 6" wider than our boring fridge, it seems to be able to hold less food.  Maybe it's the fact that the shelves are split, so they can be at different heights on the two sides, or maybe it's the fact that the shelves are shallower.  But this fridge, which I'm certain was >$2k when new, is less functional as a fridge than our old one.  Yes, we use the ice maker and water dispenser all the time.  But if it were up to me, I'd stick with a simple fridge.

Eh, the main thing is it's really easy to get stuff down under/behind a fridge that doesn't fit somewhat snug sideways.

Totally agree on the absurdness of water/ice stuff. My wife and I both don't want to give up so much of a fridge to for those (plus we live in a town with great tap water so anyone here buying the in-fridge water thing is ridiculous if they are on city water). In talking to a guy at Lowe's it sounds like many fridges can come without the icemaker/water stuff, so if you are buying a fridge you might save money doing that.

IIRC, it took about 10 days from applying to receiving the card.

If you go with the Whirlpool, you might check availability.  It was back ordered for a month when we bought it, so we had to make do with a small wine fridge for a few weeks waiting for it to be delivered.

Hmm. I'm still torn since $4k is a LOOOOT of money for us to spend in 3 months even if we spend $1k on this fridge. We just don't spend that much per month. Though I do think we could pretty easily hit the limit by stocking up on things, just a question of whether it'd be a cost neutral way to do it or not.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 12:02:01 PM »

This!   Especially good if you are not too picky, just want a COLD fridge.  Keep looking until you find something under 3 years old for very little money, in great condition.

We also purchased a new one from the sears clearance center, for a "minimal frills" model that we had our eye on, and just waited for the semi-annual discount sale off the discounted prices.  Only works if you are willing to wait many months and keep checking the store / flyer (I worked across the street at the time)

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
This reminds me of a the time we went shopping for a refrigerator. We were in the appliance store, looking at a model I thought would work, and the salesman approached. "You should take a look at this model over here." (Recites list of fancy features) "That model you're looking at is a very basic model."
I looked at him and told him. "We're very basic people. We'll take this one."

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »

...It only had so-so reviews. We bought it anyway because it was the only option that fit into the custom cabinet and matched the existing appliances. ...

I am using my mind as best I can, trying to imagine the bad thing that happens when one's refrigerator does not match the existing appliances.

Sorry - can't help you.  I can commiserate though.  I apparently lack the "match" gene too.  Although luckily (I guess?) my DH has it.  He will tell me things like "it's the first thing you see in the kitchen - it needs to look right because we will be staring at it for years".
Meh.  First thing I see in the kitchen is coffee.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 07:57:53 PM »
Bought a plain white Whirlpool 18 cubic foot for $500 new in 1992.  Still runs great

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 01:32:43 AM »

Sorry - can't help you.  I can commiserate though.  I apparently lack the "match" gene too.  Although luckily (I guess?) my DH has it.  He will tell me things like "it's the first thing you see in the kitchen - it needs to look right because we will be staring at it for years".
It's not as much a matching thing as a what-will-fit-in-the-damn-cabinet-hole thing. Ours is an utter clown house with over-the-top custom features throughout. It's not our forever home, so when we sell it, matching appliances are pretty much mandatory to the buyer at this price point. We bought it on a short sale and it's 3.5 blocks to DH's work, so we're just trying to be good stewards of the home until we're through with it.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 04:17:48 AM »
Sometimes Sears Outlet can be so cheap that the delivery fee is worthwhile, although they did lose the first fridge I ordered that way...

In store is better, though, because you can get a 5% discount with a Sears credit card. (Lowes has one of those too.)

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 05:36:05 AM »
Don't sign up for any credit card until after the closing if you need financing to close on the home. 
There are plenty of decent freezer on top models to be had, brand new, in the $500- $600 range. 

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 06:19:09 AM »

It's not as much a matching thing as a what-will-fit-in-the-damn-cabinet-hole thing. Ours is an utter clown house with over-the-top custom features throughout. It's not our forever home, so when we sell it, matching appliances are pretty much mandatory to the buyer at this price point. We bought it on a short sale and it's 3.5 blocks to DH's work, so we're just trying to be good stewards of the home until we're through with it.
I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't have good reasons.  My apology if it sounded that way.  I was just saying that I have a deficit in the matching and decorating department.

My husband vetoed the free 1970 blue fridge in favor of buying a dent/scratch.  All I saw was "free, works good".  He saw "garish blue, uses too much energy and matches nothing". 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 09:35:54 AM »
There are plenty of decent freezer on top models to be had, brand new, in the $500- $600 range.

This.  I've had a variety of refrigerators as a renter.  It's been nice to use/try so many types w/o it directly costing me anything (indirectly I pay through rent, of course).  The more basic, the better, IMO.  Lowe's has a well reviewed 18 cu ft for $448 right now:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-18-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-White/50252837

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »

This.  I've had a variety of refrigerators as a renter.  It's been nice to use/try so many types w/o it directly costing me anything (indirectly I pay through rent, of course).  The more basic, the better, IMO.  Lowe's has a well reviewed 18 cu ft for $448 right now:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-18-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-White/50252837

One thing this for us is we get a $100 rebate for energy star appliances from our electric. And as best I can tell, $0 for non-energy star, so it means upgrading something like that to the cheapest energy star ones is a much less expensive increase than if it was full price.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
Criagslist. Just make sure it's been manufactured in the last 5 years and is energy efficient.
Why "manufactured in the last 5 years"?

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »

One thing this for us is we get a $100 rebate for energy star appliances from our electric. And as best I can tell, $0 for non-energy star, so it means upgrading something like that to the cheapest energy star ones is a much less expensive increase than if it was full price.

Good point.  This $566 model would come down to $466 if you are eligible for a rebate as mentions.  http://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-17-5-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-White-ENERGY-STAR/50294489
Yes, $466 is slightly more than $448.  According to the energy guides, the energy star model costs $5 less to operate per year. Not a huge difference, but you'd come out ahead in 4 years...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't have good reasons.  My apology if it sounded that way.  I was just saying that I have a deficit in the matching and decorating department.

My husband vetoed the free 1970 blue fridge in favor of buying a dent/scratch.  All I saw was "free, works good".  He saw "garish blue, uses too much energy and matches nothing".
Actually, I really appreciate the apology, Rezdent, so thanks for that. I kind of feel like Cinderella living in this crazy beautiful over the top (for me) house, so perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to perceived criticism. For the record, I fucking hate stainless steel appliances, but for now, it is what it is.

Your husband's veto made me laugh. I totally would have been on board with a blue fridge. In a different house I might have design-on-a-dimed a whole kitchen around it, but those old things are energy-sucking beasts.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:27:01 AM by Diane C »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 04:26:38 PM »
Actually, I really appreciate the apology, Rezdent, so thanks for that. I kind of feel like Cinderella living in this crazy beautiful over the top (for me) house, so perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to perceived criticism. For the record, I fucking hate stainless steel appliances, but for now, it what it is.

Your husband's veto made me laugh. I totally would have been on board with a blue fridge. In a different house I might have design-on-a-dimed a whole kitchen around it, but those old things are energy-sucking beasts.

Hah, I like stainless. But my kryptonite is the french door style - I absolutely love this style compared to "normal" or side by side fridges, particularly since we will have a counter that is not super far away from the fridge, so having the smaller doors has a non-trivial impact (and I hate side-by-side fridges).

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
All fridges come with the same components.  That is a $500 Frigidare fridge will have the same compressor, and such as the $5000 Electrolux fridge(same company).  The only difference that you will see is water/ice, and maybe the French door systems.

From my experience, the water/ice and French door system are the two most likely to fail components of any fridge.  I just bought the cheapest one the I could find new when I needed it.  It was a $500 18 cuft model.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 04:44:35 PM »
I have an energy star fridge that I got on craigslist for $325, works great.

Reynolds531

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »
I got a floor model from Sears. Half price with an extended warranty. It promptly grenaded on me but they fixed it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:24 AM »
You probably can't wait on the purchase, but Black Friday is actually a great day to purchase appliances. There are usually crazy good deals on things like fridges, washers, dryers, etc as manufacturers close out the model year. If you are savvy and can bundle it with other deals (like rebates from your electric company) you can do really well. I got something like 65% off my fridge a couple years ago (and I went for the clown car of fridges: French doors, bottom freezer, ice maker, stainless - and I love it). 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »
I just purchased a pretty basic 33", 20.5 cubic foot, white, Whirlpool fridge with top freezer, no ice maker for $699.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2016, 07:56:51 AM »

+1 Got a super basic $400-500 fridge. There was a good sale on and we scooped up the matching stove and dishwasher for just a little more (and promptly sold our previous dishwasher for the same amount). Kinda nice to have a kitchen that matches (although if the price hadn't been right, I would have been fine staying with our old mismatched kitchen.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »
Why "manufactured in the last 5 years"?

Longevity of the parts. The price difference between a 10yr old working fridge and a 5 year old working fridge on Craigslist in almost nothing. Why buy older parts that've been working for possibly 5 more years non-stop 24 hours a day? Also, energy start compliance standards change over time. Not sure how often.

Energy star:

http://refrigerators.reviewed.com/features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-energy-star-fridge-standards

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2016, 03:02:38 PM »
Buying a fridge (or other appliance) is similar to buying a car, or other large ticket item.

1. Figure out what features you:
- need
- want
- for sure do not want

2. Go online to figure out a few models that fit that description.

3. Test prices at several stores to see which ones have the best price. Pit stores against each other to see who will price match and get the price down a little. (this works better if buying more than one appliance at a time).

For me:

- need: size (fits properly), simple
- want: freezer on the bottom, nice colour
- do not want: ice/water dispenser, other extra that might break

I was able to get size, simple, nice colour, and no ice/water dispenser in my price range. Couldn't get bottom freezer in my price range so ditched that idea....and don't miss it.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
You can get Lowe's gift cards online at up to 12% off (that I have found).  This site works for many different stores as well.

So:
Take a high rewards credit card
Use it to buy discounted gift cards online
Use the gift cards with a %-off coupon
And buy the fridge on the expected Independence Day sale
...unless you decide to hit up Craigslist.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
Mine was about $400-$500 at Home Depot maybe 5 years ago. Basic, keeps the food cold, was cheap. The energy usage is also fine. It has the option for an ice maker, but we don't use ice so I didn't spend $40 for that. I don't know why anyone would spend more for something with less storage space. It actually fits more stuff than some of the $2k-$4k models they had. Insanity.

Also, we broke the plastic bar on one of the condiment racks on the door (after shoving too many things in there for years). So we just put some clear packing tape on it to hold it together. No need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a new part for my $3k metal-plated unit with blue glowing touch displays. 10 cents of tape will do.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-25-2-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Single-Ice-Maker-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/50059161

Good through July 12th, too, so we'll be able to get it in our new place :)

If we get the 10% moving coupon and the $100 city discount, it'll only be about $800 or so.

Might be able to get a decent rewards card in time too, not sure. I'm debating the $4k/3 month spend sapphire one since we just don't spend that much and I'm not sure we would hit $4k. I guess we could always buy giftcards for where we often spend?

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »
Yeah, the main reason we are looking at this big of a fridge is that the kitchen in the house we're buying was recently remodeled and as a result has a HUGE hole for the fridge. We'd be ok with a smaller one, but it'd be super awkward fitting. And the sellers wanted $1500 for their 4-year-old-even-fancier-fridge. lol NOPE!

Have you offered them $1000 for their fridge?  The fact that they wanted to sell it for $1500 means they want to sell it, you just need to agree on a price!  They might have asked $1500 for it when you signed the contract, but the closer you get to closing date, the more they will realize that there's a cost/hassle factor in trying to move it or sell it to someone else.  Have your realtor give them a call and offer $800 but be wiling to go up to $1000. Think of the hassle you'll be saving yourself!

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
Looks like Goedekers is going to kill the stores in pricing. I like the french door ones and this one at $1,068.99 seems reasonable enough.

I have that exact fridge... I bought it at lowes and it was on sale for $1000 and I used a 10% off mover's coupon and got it for $900. It is a very nice fridge with lots of room inside and it looks good but doesn't have the in door ice dispenser/water dispenser that seems to drive prices up so high. I actually prefer a fridge did not have those because it wastes tons of room on the inside and the front looks so nice with the uninterrupted stainless steel.

looks like goedekers has it for $920 no tax right now... That seems like a really good price

With a $100 rebate  you can get that whirlpool fridge down into the 800s I would snatch that up... It's the cheapest/best your going to get a french door/stainless. I think it's worth it when the cheapest gross almond color top freezer refrigerator will run you 500 anyway and those ones are tiny with much less room inside... It's worth the upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:42:01 AM by CmFtns »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »

Have you offered them $1000 for their fridge?  The fact that they wanted to sell it for $1500 means they want to sell it, you just need to agree on a price!  They might have asked $1500 for it when you signed the contract, but the closer you get to closing date, the more they will realize that there's a cost/hassle factor in trying to move it or sell it to someone else.  Have your realtor give them a call and offer $800 but be wiling to go up to $1000. Think of the hassle you'll be saving yourself!

I see no reason to buy a fridge from them for even $800 that is 4 years old when we can buy a new one which better meets our needs for about the same price, except new :-)

I have that exact fridge... I bought it at lowes and it was on sale for $1000 and I used a 10% off mover's coupon and got it for $900. It is a very nice fridge with lots of room inside and it looks good but doesn't have the in door ice dispenser/water dispenser that seems to drive prices up so high. I actually prefer a fridge did not have those because it wastes tons of room on the inside and the front looks so nice with the uninterrupted stainless steel.

With a $100 rebate  you can get that whirlpool fridge down into the 800s I would snatch that up... It's the cheapest/best your going to get a french door/stainless. I think it's worth it when the cheapest gross almond color top freezer refrigerator will run you 500 anyway and those ones are tiny with much less room inside... It's worth the upgrade.

Yeah both my wife and I prefer no in-door water/ice, too. I don't get why everyone seems obsessed with those (particularly how much you pay for them).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
Except that the microwave just went out. Would you believe $1200? Who in fuck's name pays that for a microwave? Fortunately, we found one on CL for $350. Still ain't cheap, but better than $1200. Oh yeah, it's 400 miles away from here, but we have to go that way anyway, so we'll pick it up, schlep it home and DH will install. Oy.
Heh heh, I thought I'd post an off-topic microwave update to my earlier somewhat off-topic response.

First, the guy in LA sold the replacement to someone else. (I don't blame him. Who the hell buys an appliance from so far away that isn't a scammer? I just hope he got his price.) I've been using a countertop model I freecycled to tide us over while we figured this out.

Well, the other day, someone absent-mindedly stuck something in there and turned it on. The damn thing worked! Our conclusion is that when cleaning the face of the microwave, moisture must have seeped into the sensor pad. The recent heat wave may have dried it out enough to work again. Whatever the reason, it works again! No money spent, no microwave in the landfill!

Now we're wondering how many other people this has happened to. So, if the panel on your microwave suddenly stops working, try a hair dryer, set on low, on the faceplate. Or wait for a heatwave. 'Cause of course we haven't turned the A/C on, right? Mustachianism saves the day once again.