Author Topic: Refinish floor or just take the damage deposit hit?  (Read 2137 times)

PawPrint53

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Refinish floor or just take the damage deposit hit?
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »
Apartment living is new to us so not sure what to do. Newly remodeled apt with bamboo floors, probably engineered wood. I made a few deep scratches when I didn't realize a rock was stuck on a chair pad. Should I refinish that area or just let the. Landlord take it out of the damage deposit? I'm a landlord myself, but I put in indestructible Pergola in, not fragile hardwood. We're not planning on moving for several years unless they raise the rent. Thank you.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Refinish floor or just take the damage deposit hit?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
I'm just guessing, but I would bet it's not refinishable.  A huge chunk of engineered hardwoods don't have enough surface area for a deep sanding.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
Re: Refinish floor or just take the damage deposit hit?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
If you're staying there a few years I'd probably let the landlord deal with it when you move out.  It could be considered regular wear and tear, particularly if the floors are easily scratched.  But either way I would wait until you move out-the same thing could happen again so you may as well fix it at the end.  Another thing you could try is one of those furniture pens-might be worth testing a tiny spot to see if that helps make the scratches less obvious.

(Also if it's easily scratched I would watch out for high heels-a place I worked at had somewhat soft wood floors and there were a ton of heel marks in it.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!