Author Topic: Another mortgage refi question  (Read 1747 times)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
Another mortgage refi question
« on: August 03, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
Hello, and first - thank you all for your indulgences with all my questions! My next phase in my financial development is I am going to look to a cash out refi, getting out the maximum amount of cash I can get.

Mortgage: 259k
Value: redfin value 500k, bank site has value potentially 385-525, with estimate of 445
Rate/terms: 4.375%, year 8 on a 30 year mortgage

Overall details on my financial situation are presented in a case study (wonder what you all will say to me) - But the broad message is that I was starting to drown a bit last year when I had to start paying back student loans for older child. Younger child has 2 more years. I got a promotion and large pay increase and I am now able to pay down the consumer debt (cc and personal loan) I acquired - and I am on track to have all of that cleared by end of 2019, possibly a little sooner.

Currently, cash flow is a little tight. I have been working on budgeting and making good headway there in cutting back and on understanding my outgo much better. I am nearly at a paycheck to paycheck situation. I have 6% into 401k, and have started a baby EF with $100/month.

While that isn't a lot of savings going on!!! I do feel good about my ability to clear out that consumer debt by end of the year, continue to trim the monthly budget as I can, and then I would be able to go to 10% 401k and save perhaps 500/month in the EF. I think that that is good enough for me right now as a goal and I would do okay going forward.

But - I still have 115k in student loans and more tuition bills coming up. While I am paying for the ones I took out on older child, the loans for younger child are deferred, but gathering interest - so what I pay on in principal on DS, I accrue in interest on DD. So currently, just keeping even on that.

My plan was to use the home equity to pay off remaining consumer debt, pay for year 3 college expenses, and if I can get enough cash out, pay off a few of the higher interest student loans I currently have.

then through this academic year, save as much as I can for the last year of college and use the university yearlong payment plan for that.

cost of attendance is about 38k/year (35k tuition, room, board, 3k books, other related expenses, any incidentals. DD will have 7500 loan in her name, will contribute about 1500 from summer job. She will try to get some PT work for incidentals this year at school, but that is not secured yet so not putting into calculations.

So - about 29k is needed for this year. 12 month payment plan is about 2500/month, need to start that in june of previous summer. 9 month payment plan is about 3250/month. Not in the budget at all.

I would likely get about 80-100k cash out. 29 for third year, 7 to consumer debt, pay off about 50k of existing loans.

but for 4th year, I'm hoping that I can save up about 10k after paying off several debts/reducing monthly payment. And then have something looking like 1600/month payment for 4th year starting in June of 2020. Everything must be paid off to get diploma. I might need to get some small loans that last year but if I pay off 50k of student loans now, they are down to about 65k, and maybe up to 75k if I need a small loan for DDs 4th year.

I know I am really just moving debt around here, and not really reducing it. But I was thinking that this is a way to get better terms on a large amount of debt. I am hoping that taking another 30 year mortgage that the payments would stay same/increase just a little bit.

Am meeting with a mortgage person next week. What should I be thinking about? What should I ask mortgage person?

appreciate your thoughts!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Another mortgage refi question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 12:05:12 PM »
You're spending an awful lot on college.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 12:07:52 PM »
rotfl!!!

ok - let me rephrase this ending a bit!

appreciate your thoughts!

tell me something I don't know that may be helpful!

:)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
I had mentioned previous thread/s - and should maybe reiterate.

Paid for older kid, and now I gotta do same for younger kid. They are both responsible for their own loans, which would be about 28-30, I'm picking up the rest. DD is kicking in what she can, and that the way it is going to be.

I am super excited to stop, and start really repaying, It's only 2 more years, and I have talked at great length with DD about needing to finish up the degree by end of her 4th year. DS took an extra year, and unfortunately, I can't really do that for her.

(I would!! If it happens!! but I'm trying to get her into the idea this is a must and hopefully that'll work out!!!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 05:29:10 PM »
Is DD scrounging and applying for every possible scholarship? Lots of obscure ones out there.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »
This seems like a bad idea to me.  How old are you?  When will you retire?  Will these adult college kids also need to live with you for free in this house for the next decade?  Is everyone getting a part time job or three in the meantime?  My best advice would be to be honest with the mortgage rep that you’re seeing this week about what you intend to do and see how that person reacts. 

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »
This seems like a bad idea to me.  How old are you?  When will you retire?  Will these adult college kids also need to live with you for free in this house for the next decade?  Is everyone getting a part time job or three in the meantime?  My best advice would be to be honest with the mortgage rep that you’re seeing this week about what you intend to do and see how that person reacts.

hmmm. Interesting, I hadn't thought to give much weight to what a mortgage person would say about it. They would either give me the money or not give me the money - but I would think the mortgage person would push it through if they at all can and get their commission and whether that is in my best interest is for me to decide.

Not sure about how long the youths may live in the house, I would hope to hold on to it for at least 3 years from now and that should give enough time for the youngest to finish college, come home if need be, and then to be settled into something else.

I would like to hold on to the house, but sometimes I think I'd like to sell, maybe quit and just see what happens. But - selling is always a possibility, and may at some time be a necessity, and I would be ok with that.

I'm 53 in September. My current assets are nearly 780k, (mostly 401k and roth money, small amount of HSA and company stock. Company stock is not liquid, cannot sell but 1 time per year in Dec. I think it is considered retirement money, but will look into selling at that time. So minimally it is taxed at ordinary income, possibly a penalty. Last evaluation was 12k, so would only pocket maybe 8-9k from that.)

No assets outside of these, except for house. Salary is 128k. I just got a nice promotion and large pay bump in February, so things were getting a little sketchy before that, but I think with the new salary I can get it together and keep even keel until the college is finished, and then buckle down on things. Hopefully, I can keep a little bit of momentum on my career and maybe one more promotion in the next 5 years before I start age out of being of increasing value.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 07:29:00 AM »
I guess maybe to make my questions simpler:

Would it be better to roll another 70k of debt into my mortgage or more student loans?

That's the only question really.

In terms of my future - Even if I do nothing but stay afloat the next 3-5 years and then for some unknown reason, everything collapses, I can sell the house and live in a van, I'll get about 2k/month in soc.sec. at 62 and have about 1m in assets, minus the cost of the van :P.

I'm really not too worried about me and my retirement. It likely isn't going to be as rosy as I had at one time hoped, but it isn't going to be one of great hardship either.

Even if I flamed out right now, I could sell the house, pay off all bills, pay for the final 2 years of college and get the van. So - all good!

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 08:07:21 AM »
Is DD scrounging and applying for every possible scholarship? Lots of obscure ones out there.

We hadn't had much luck with this previously but will ask her to try again.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »
I guess maybe to make my questions simpler:

Would it be better to roll another 70k of debt into my mortgage or more student loans?

That's the only question really.

In terms of my future - Even if I do nothing but stay afloat the next 3-5 years and then for some unknown reason, everything collapses, I can sell the house and live in a van, I'll get about 2k/month in soc.sec. at 62 and have about 1m in assets, minus the cost of the van :P.

I'm really not too worried about me and my retirement. It likely isn't going to be as rosy as I had at one time hoped, but it isn't going to be one of great hardship either.

Even if I flamed out right now, I could sell the house, pay off all bills, pay for the final 2 years of college and get the van. So - all good!

No takers on this refi question?

I am thinking this is the best way to go. I think that my stache is sufficient that I can consider myself on coast with FI, if need be* - RE is not in my cards right now, and that restructuring the existing and STB debt in this matter is the best plan.

*my goal is to get back to 10% to the 401k, with perhaps a 1/1/20 date on that?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!