Author Topic: Rediscovered Treasures  (Read 1728 times)

maltmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rediscovered Treasures
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
I recently cancelled my Spotify subscription (one of my last recurring entertainment expenses) because I realized that my musical tastes have not really changed for a year or two so I was listening to the same music.  I had been listening to mostly two things: jazz for around the house and a some of the same music I liked in high school and college.  Anyways, it occurred to me after I had cancelled, that the jazz radio station would more than fill in for my newer tastes there, but also that I already have most of the music that I liked in high school and college in a CD bible in a box in my basement.  So, I've started rediscovering the joy of listening to some of my favorite music that surprise: I already own.

Firstly, it's funny that this only occurred to me after cancelling Spotify, but moreover, I'm curious whether anybody else has found or rediscovered something that they haven't used in a long while, maybe made it through a couple moves, only to be deservedly resurrected for another life.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: Rediscovered Treasures
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »
My husband and I have a LOT of records and he recently suggested we go through them alphabetically and listen to all of them. We have so much we've only just gotten to the c's but we've discovered a lot of music that we didn't know the other had. He had a big collection and I had one as well so even though we've been together for over a decade we had never listened to all of each other's music. It's a lot of fun and we've also discovered a few that we are going to weed out of the collection.

I use Spotify to listen to albums when I read about them somewhere. I only use the free version, I really don't care if ads play.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
Oh, I totally do that. I have a small condo and truly am not much of a hoarder, but I do tuck things away and then find them again, to my delight. When I first discovered Amazon used books (and the prices were a little lower, TBH) I developed a big stash of books that weren't available through any of the library systems I have access to, which I am still working my way through. I forget about them for awhile (I tend to keep them on lower shelves out of line of sight) and then start poking around and find good stuff! I also annually forget what I have for holiday decorations, so when I open the boxes it's a fun surprise.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »
Ditto on re-discovering x-mas treasures. I re-invent different parts of my x-mas decorations every year. Last year I skipped the tree and just displayed a wooden white deer sculpture that struck my fancy. It all depends on my mood and how much energy and time I have to devote to decorating.
I did a huge purge about four years ago down to two large boxes and I'll never go past that limit again, to the contrary I keep paring down - thanks to all the minimalist's encouragement on this forum:)

The other thing would be some of my herbal books - I often re-read and discover something that I hadn't paid any attention to when I read it least, because my focus was elsewhere - so my books are ongoing treasures:)