Author Topic: Reddit Space for Canadian Mustachians?  (Read 4438 times)

BigBangWeary

• Stubble
    • The Great Canadian Housing Bubble Co.
Reddit Space for Canadian Mustachians?
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »

I was wondering how many would be interested in a MMM Canada thread on Reddit or some other collaborative space. We are a bit of a minority on here and I find that threads quickly get buried. Perhaps Mr. Money Toque would even make an appearance :)

Not sure about the other Canucks on here but I end up running between sites like Redflagdeals.com, Canadianmoneyforum, Financialwebring, Greaterfool, Globeandmail, Reddit Personal Finance Canada etc. etc. and only getting a bit of what I am looking for. What I love about MMM is that attitude that, ‘Gee, you really can have enough’. You actually can find balance between working and actually enjoying life and spending time with your family. You don’t need multiple millions to do it, and you don’t have to fully ‘retire’ or have a million dollar home, two SUVs and a giant RESP to do it.

Anyways, I think we have enough differences that it would be justified. First of all, attitude is very different in Canada in regards to being ‘self-sufficient’, the government looking after you, and avoiding debt (Have you seen those HELOC numbers?!). We also have very expensive housing right now relative to income, rents, etc., and different tax issues. And free health care ... kind of ... sort of.

Things like RRSPs, TFSAs, RESPs, or even setting up an index portfolio in Canada are all different too. Yes there have been posts about this, but I am talking about a space where Canadian Mustachians can bounce ideas off each other without that blank cross-internet stare I get on those other sites ... ‘What?! So you think you can stop working while still active, live in only a modest home, and bike places? But that wouldn’t even get half a star in the GlobeandMails’s retirement ready... You need a million dollar home in the GTA, two defined benefit pensions and 2 million invested two get that.

Sorry, I don’t know if it is the younger generation over here, or if other Canadians even feel the way I do. Our family loves the idea of reducing the negative impact we have on the planet in regards to mindless consumption, and we would much rather have a $150,000 home with $850,000 working for us in a low-cost index fund than a 1 million dollar semi in Vancouver and the costs of living that go along with it. I think that makes us Mustachian. I think that makes us a rarity in Canada and I want to gather the rest of you Mustachian Canucks so we can fight this semi-frozen tide ... or at least build a new rink.

Any takers?

Financial Planner Dude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Reddit Space for Canadian Mustachians?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:45:01 AM »
I've asked about this before there seems to be very little interest, my suggestion is to instead go to Canadian Money Forum. It's about the best place out there for Canadians

http://canadianmoneyforum.com/index.php

Joan-eh?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:07:36 AM »
I'm for it!

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
It would be nice to have a Canadian-specific section on here.  I can see why they don't want to do it, though.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:53:46 AM »
I would be in :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »
I'd be in, but I do kind've feel it's covered by looking all over... an extra place to read is always good though.

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
There have been some excellent threads here that are Canadian specific - I just wish we could put them all into one place, as I never have much luck with the search function.

Could a thread be started here, where we can post links to other threads that have good information for those of us in the Great White North?  I suppose a simple comment of "following" would make the thread much easier to find in our own history.

If this already exists - please post a link!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
There have been some excellent threads here that are Canadian specific - I just wish we could put them all into one place, as I never have much luck with the search function.

Could a thread be started here, where we can post links to other threads that have good information for those of us in the Great White North?  I suppose a simple comment of "following" would make the thread much easier to find in our own history.

There is a "NOTIFY" button at the bottom of every thread:

Notify <--- CLICK ME!
    Mark unread
    Send this topic
    Print

c-kat

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 07:02:51 PM »
I'd be in.

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:55:46 AM »

There is a "NOTIFY" button at the bottom of every thread:

Notify <--- CLICK ME!
    Mark unread
    Send this topic
    Print

*Headsmack*  Not sure how I missed that one!  Now I feel like all those who just discovered that you can click on the "new" button at the end of the thread titles! :D

I presume that I can then search the threads that I have selected to be notified about?  I am less interested in knowing about new replies - just want an easy way to refer back to some of the great information that has already been supplied.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:01:41 AM by SandyBoxx »

Acadian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
I would be interested. I'm always scanning the topic titles for an indication that it may be Canada-focused.