Author Topic: Red state liberal relocating... Suggestions?  (Read 15989 times)

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Red state liberal relocating... Suggestions?
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2016, 01:53:35 PM »
Asheville, NC is pretty darn liberal for the South. LCOL comparatively speaking with beautiful outdoor opportunities. Mild weather. If politics are important to you, consider moving to a state where your vote helps make a difference. Obviously, that's only a small part of the equation.
When you consider that there aren't many blacks in Asheville, it's extremely liberal for the South.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »
A good option if you want to stay rural is college towns, which I think someone already mentioned, and checking out the by-county voting records.

I live in WA state - in Seattle. We're very liberal here in Seattle, but it changes pretty quickly actually as you leave the area. Eastern WA is well known for being conservative, but there are lots of areas in western WA too which have the same thing. But, I grew up in Pullman, home of WSU, and that county also voted blue. My dad's employer growing up was fairly conservative but their entire social circle was not.

If you moved to central Washington, you might be disappointed to find yourself in a blue state but a very conservative area. A lot of the liberal places are urban, but college towns seem to be a decent option if you want to stay in a rural, LCOL area and just want better community.

The Seattle metro area makes up 60% of Washington's population. The Atlanta metro area makes up 54% of Georgia's population. Neglecting smaller cities for simplicity, Georgia is 6% less urban.

Clinton got 54% of the vote in Washington, and 46% of the vote in Georgia, a difference of 8%.

If we assume that urban vs. rural has a strong correlation with liberal vs. conservative -- and it does -- then the amount of extra conservatism in Georgia that can't be attributed to the difference in urbanization between the two states is a measly 2%.

Gonzo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2016, 12:15:28 AM »
Chicago isn't expensive for a big city.  If you want a city life, go there. 

ImOscarDotCom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2016, 09:43:15 AM »
You all have given some great advice!

I'm definitely leaning more towards "staying in the fight" and just relocate in Georgia.  It certainly is a the prudent financial decision.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »
I totally agree that liberal is different in different places. Much more controlling on the east coast, more religious in the south, more environment-conscious in the west. So you may want to figure out more specifically what you are looking for in terms of culture.

Also, don't discount a variety of other factors such as climate, distance from family (which can be either good or bad depending), diversity, etc. For example, I know one person who is a lesbian and moved to Salt Lake City from Colorado. I thought she'd find it horrible, but she actually liked that there was a dichotomy among the people there (Mormon vs not) and everyone immediately figures it out upon meeting, so as soon as she knew another person was liberal, she could be herself right away. Turns out there is a very tight blue community there so it was actually easier to get to know people than in CO which has more of a continuum.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2016, 05:31:15 AM »
You all have given some great advice!

I'm definitely leaning more towards "staying in the fight" and just relocate in Georgia.  It certainly is a the prudent financial decision.

Have you looked at Athens, GA?   I lived there for a year and its quite the liberal pocket in Georgia, especially if you live within walking distance to the university.

On another note related to the cost of living - Unfortunately some of the housing/development policies that more liberal cities put in place really drive us the cost of housing.  Its a challenging consequence of good intentions and it prices out many working folks out of housing.  I've worked in two southern college towns and it was really challenging in both to build anything.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »
I'd also consider global warming when considering a move. 

We live in Boone, NC which is a liberal college town with very cool mountain temps.  Daughter just started college at Auburn, AL and the heat has been grueling for her to get used to.  Boone has no jobs & high cost of living, so can't recommend moving here.  Asheville would be worth checking out.  Good food & beer, arts, etc.  Maybe too many hippies though?

Miranda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2016, 04:22:29 PM »
I totally agree that liberal is different in different places. Much more controlling on the east coast, more religious in the south, more environment-conscious in the west. So you may want to figure out more specifically what you are looking for in terms of culture.

Not to get off topic, but I will be moving in a few years to someplace more liberal.  I'm going to use vacation time to check places out until then.  I've never been out East; can you explain what you mean by "more controlling?"  I was planing to visit there next year.  I just want to live someplace where it's easy to find like minded people and I won't be judged for being a vegetarian, lesbian, whatever.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2016, 06:35:02 PM »

Not to get off topic, but I will be moving in a few years to someplace more liberal.  I'm going to use vacation time to check places out until then.  I've never been out East; can you explain what you mean by "more controlling?"  I was planing to visit there next year.  I just want to live someplace where it's easy to find like minded people and I won't be judged for being a vegetarian, lesbian, whatever.

Liberals in the northeast in government power are extremely restrictive on what you can and cannot legally do, things that don't affect anyone else that you do in public or things you do on your own property. In several areas if it's fun it's probably illegal so you better check or you'll end up with the full force of the government coming down on you.

In my experience hardcore liberals are some of the most intolerant and judgemental holier than thou types I've ever come across. They tend to be (at least in the northeast and the west coast) very militant and and are not shy about getting in your face and harassing you when you were previously just minding your own business. In more conservative areas people may judge or shake their head but they tend to mind their own business and certainly don't get aggressive. This is just my own experience, so very anecdotal. IMO if you don't want to be judged (an unrealistic expectation, everyone judges people either positive, neutral or negative) or more realistically don't want to be told how to live your life (or worse, legislated how you live your life) you should look for areas with a high density of libertarians among an overall fairly conservative leaning and not particularly religious population.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »

Liberals in the northeast in government power are extremely restrictive on what you can and cannot legally do, things that don't affect anyone else that you do in public or things you do on your own property. In several areas if it's fun it's probably illegal so you better check or you'll end up with the full force of the government coming down on you.

In my experience hardcore liberals are some of the most intolerant and judgemental holier than thou types I've ever come across. They tend to be (at least in the northeast and the west coast) very militant and and are not shy about getting in your face and harassing you when you were previously just minding your own business. In more conservative areas people may judge or shake their head but they tend to mind their own business and certainly don't get aggressive. This is just my own experience, so very anecdotal. IMO if you don't want to be judged (an unrealistic expectation, everyone judges people either positive, neutral or negative) or more realistically don't want to be told how to live your life (or worse, legislated how you live your life) you should look for areas with a high density of libertarians among an overall fairly conservative leaning and not particularly religious population.

It sounds like you have quite a bone to pick - and I'm sure that you've been given good reasons.

But you're painting with a very broad brush there in a way that probably doesn't reflect everyone's experience.

I believe it's more accurate to say that every major city has their own mix of things they'll get in your business about, and that it's probably a good idea to suss out which of those things you're going to call an absolute "no."

If, say, you're with MMM on the subject of recreational use of a certain green leafy substance -- well, don't try that one in Salt Lake.  Or Texas.  Or most of the Bible Belt.  Those "controlling" liberal zones on the west - and to a lesser degree on the east - are probably more your cup of tea.  Or your bowl of something, as the case may be.

On the other hand, you're more likely to face things like laws restricting when you can water your lawn in California.
(Edited to add:  And holy smoley sweet jumping beans are the state taxes there high if you have a high income.)

If you hate the idea of some idiot down the street having influence over what color you can paint your house, avoid communities with HOAs like the plague.  I've seen these everywhere - it's more often an {urban, rural} vs {suburban} thing than a red state / blue state thing.

If alcohol's your thing, you'll find states like Utah and Pennsylvania intriguingly frustrating, with our morass of confusing and utterly illogical regulations designed either to enrich established stakeholders (PA) or punish you for desiring to have a beer (UT).  I believe Kansas is also not an optimal spot for imbibers.

I'm sure I missed some - GetItRight, I suspect you have an additional set of specific regulations you had in mind that I probably didn't represent well.

But my overall point:  America's a large and diverse country, and individual states and cities can be a complex mix that isn't well captured by certain kinds of blanket statements.  Better to identify a more granular understanding of what's important to you...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:24:59 PM by csprof »

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
Heard a podcast on the 11 nations of America recently. The article below highlights some of the history behind some of America's cultural differences.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/08/which-of-the-11-american-nations-do-you-live-in/

Seems a little more useful than just parsing states into just red or blue.  As far straight liberal places, I would think that many college towns and large cities would fit the bill depending on what else you are looking for. 

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
I agree with the comment about the college towns. Overall, I think Washington State is going to be a little more liberal than Colorado. Denver is pretty liberal, but the rest of the state can get very conservative very fast.

Seattle traffic is insane. I couldn't believe it when I was there. You need some sort of anti-commuting strategy for Seattle.

robinflight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »
I have lived in a number of different states: California, New Mexico, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Oregon and Colorado.  Colorado is a great state to live in.  It's beautiful, there is a highly educated workforce, and the climate is ideal (the sun shines a lot, which you won't find in Washington state--at least the western part of the state).  The Denver area is booming right now, so finding a job shouldn't be difficult.  Traffic can be a bear, so it's helpful to research what area you'd like to be in and then try to find a job close by.  (I have suggestions, should you choose to go that route)

Portland, Oregon is a progressive town; lots of people into social justice and healthy lifestyles.  Have you thought about Oregon?

Massachusetts is also a liberal state with a lot of progressive-minded people.  Northampton is a great college town; and of course the Boston area offers a lot in terms of job prospects.  Think about what your priorities are and what place would best suit them.  Do you like outdoor activities?  Does weather and climate matter?  Do you want to be in an urban, suburban, small town or rural environment? As you know, each area of the country has a distinct local culture, and the Eastern part of the U.S. is quite different from the West.  I'm originally from New Mexico.  Santa Fe is a great liberal town.  The climate is fantastic, it's a foodie town, there's a thriving art scene, and the mountains are close by so there are a lot of outdoor activities. But let's face it, New Mexico is often at the bottom of the list when it comes to many comparisons with other states (ie. education and the like).  Still, N.M. tends to attract artistic, progressive people who travel to the beat of their own drum, so to speak.

I recently moved from the Denver area to a very conservative part of central Pennsylvania, so I know how difficult it can be to live in a place that doesn't match your sensibilities.  I wish you all the best in your search!