Author Topic: Recruiters asking for face-to-face meeting  (Read 6624 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Recruiters asking for face-to-face meeting
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
Thoughts on why (tech) recruiters want to meet face-to-face? I suppose they want to make sure that you're not a reclusive neck-beard but isn't that what the 5 phone calls are for? If the skills match, what would an in-person meeting give them (besides your ethnicity and age)?

There's also the problem of asking for professional references BEFORE a client interview, which smells like gathering cold call victims to me.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Recruiters asking for face-to-face meeting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »
Hmm, I don't think I've ever had a tech recruiter request an in-person meeting.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »
I had one f2f meeting with recruiter. He was local, so I didn't overanalyze it. (Would have been nice if the recruiting company offered a voucher for transportation to/from. The position got cancelled few weeks later). Nothing to be scared of, don't overanalyze it really. If you have free time - why not

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »
Husband interviewed for an actuary job in Nevada, we live in Kentucky.

Application.
Call from HR to make sure application was understood.
Follow up email questions.
Recorded Skype Interview.
Follow up Phone interview with Head manager.

I think any tech company who can't manage to Skype, either aren't legitimate or aren't serious about hiring you.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Happens with newb recruiters IME. Been a while. And I hate the recruiters who want to verify references before even SUBMITTING me for the job. If I gave my refs out to every mickey mouse recruiter who calls me every day they w l uld stop being refs in a couple days.

Muck that bs. I walk at that point. And usually they submitt me anyways.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:58:12 AM »
Thoughts on why (tech) recruiters want to meet face-to-face? I suppose they want to make sure that you're not a reclusive neck-beard but isn't that what the 5 phone calls are for? If the skills match, what would an in-person meeting give them (besides your ethnicity and age)?

There's also the problem of asking for professional references BEFORE a client interview, which smells like gathering cold call victims to me.

All the recruiters in O&G want to meet in face, being natural leeches, they require a host to make money - this leads to them wanting to "build a rapport" in hopes that you continuously use their service when you need a job. My feelings on the worthiness of recruiters aside - it's not malicious... more a 'customer service' type thing

YTProphet

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
They want to see if you're a normal human being who can hold a conversation in person. Remember, their reputation is at risk when they suggest candidates. Don't want to be sending a bunch of oddballs to interviews or you may lose the account.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 10:15:57 AM »
I guess the answer is "it depends."

I can see the "oddballs" concern but I've dealt with a dozen agencies that don't require an in-person meeting. Sometimes the first time I see the recruiter/account manager in person is at the client site for the interview; usually, it's the first day I start and they meet me to give me more details on pay, etc.

Re: references -- Yeah, as a reference for former co-workers, I f'ing hate it when I get pinged 3x a week for several weeks in a row.

I think I'm going to walk. If the job was interesting and the pay outstanding, I'd consider it. The commute sucks, however, and the recruiter's office is downtown and, hell, I'm FI.

Thanks, all. Cheers.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
Dealt with many headhunters/recruiters.

Never had to meet face to face, however the last company I dealt with/am currently dealing with did request a skype/facetime meeting which was a first for me. No big deal though.

Now if they would have asked me to travel an hour to meet them at their HQ I would have said to hell with them.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
I've had a couple of face to face with recruiters. It used to be more common. I really despise meeting face to face with a recruiter(and recruiters in general).

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
They want to see if you're a normal human being who can hold a conversation in person. Remember, their reputation is at risk when they suggest candidates. Don't want to be sending a bunch of oddballs to interviews or you may lose the account.

So you can't hold a conversation over skype or the phone in general? You must meet someone in person to do so?

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 11:58:26 PM »
I have had many recruiters ask for this.  They basically are interviewing you to see how you'll perform in an actual interview- they want the candidates they send to clients to have a chance.  If you suck at interviewing, they aren't going to send you to any clients, or at least not the pickier ones.  At least that is always how it seemed to me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!