Author Topic: Recommendations for good walking shoes?  (Read 8443 times)

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
Recommendations for good walking shoes?
« on: May 22, 2015, 04:31:03 AM »
Hi folks,

I walk to work pretty much every day, which saves me a bundle on car costs.  But I go through shoes like crazy.  I put in about 2 miles a day on mostly paved surfaces.  I try to buy pretty good quality shoes so I don't end up with foot problems, but I find that the high quality shoes wear out almost as fast as the cheap ones.  Right now I'm using a pair of Rockports that are sort of a hybrid between sneakers and casual shoes (presentable leather upper with a sneaker sole).  They are super comfortable, but the soles are nearly worn out after only a year of use.  My alternate shoes are a pair of black Skechers (the kind the FedEx delivery person wears).  They're lasting a little longer because I don't wear them as much, but I had an identical previous pair that lasted less than 18 months when I wore them every day.  I've gotten similar wear out of various name-brand sneakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for comfortable, affordable walking shoes that might last a little longer?

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
Re: Recommendations for good walking shoes?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:32:43 AM »
Check out Sierra Trading Post. Last year's styles so cheaper, good brands like Merrill, Salomon, Keen, etc.

Pooja Sharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:19:46 AM »
Brands like Nike, Adidas, Reebok aren't making such shoes? If they are, they should probably start manufacturing them.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »
Check out Sierra Trading Post. Last year's styles so cheaper, good brands like Merrill, Salomon, Keen, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ipep.  I can actually get pretty similar prices on good brands at a shoe outlet store in a nearby town.  I've tried several of the "good" brands (like rockports, clark, redwing, etc.), and although the uppers are very durable, the soles just aren't made to stand up to the amount of walking that I do.  Maybe I just need to resign myself to buying shoes every 1 - 1/2 years.  It beats driving.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »
Brands like Nike, Adidas, Reebok aren't making such shoes? If they are, they should probably start manufacturing them.

Yes, I've tried all three of those (although it's been a while since I've worn adidas or reebok), and the soles wore out in a fairly short amount of time. 

I hate throwing away a pair of shoes when the uppers still look great.  I tried getting a pair re-soled once, but they were not as comfortable as the original shoe, and they only lasted a short while longer.  It wasn't worth the cost and effort.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
I have a very similar walking commute. It's a 3 km round trip, more if I have any errands to run on foot during the day.

I don't ask my shoes to do "double duty": I commute in light hiking shoes or winter boots, depending on the season. Then I change into work shoes at the office. The work shoes last WAAY longer that way; in fact, they never seem to wear out! I keep two pairs of work shoes on top of a box under my desk.

For walking, I find that fit and comfort trump brand name. My current walking shoes are Columbia shoes with Vibram soles. I got them on sale for C$60 about five years ago and they are still good. They look similar to these (but I think mine are better than any of their current models):

http://www.columbia.com/womens-redmond-waterproof-BL3947.html?cgid=footwear-women-hiking&dwvar_BL3947_variationColor=030#start=7

Prior to that I had a similar pair of Merrells, and they lasted 7-8 years.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »
I use Puma brand "Liga" indoor soccer shoes as my daily walking shoes.  They are incredibly sturdy leather shoes that are very comfortable if you use some soft foam insoles.  I have had two pairs of them so far and each pair has lasted over a year with consistent daily use.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, Ipep.  I can actually get pretty similar prices on good brands at a shoe outlet store in a nearby town.  I've tried several of the "good" brands (like rockports, clark, redwing, etc.), and although the uppers are very durable, the soles just aren't made to stand up to the amount of walking that I do.  Maybe I just need to resign myself to buying shoes every 1 - 1/2 years.  It beats driving.

Maybe this is nuts, but: have you tried Chacos? They're not very pretty sandals, but they're very comfortable once you finagle the straps, they have a nice footbed, and they have extremely sturdy soles that they are known for repairing for free or cheap (I had mine repaired for free). They'll last forever.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 04:10:30 AM »
I have a very similar walking commute. It's a 3 km round trip, more if I have any errands to run on foot during the day.

I don't ask my shoes to do "double duty": I commute in light hiking shoes or winter boots, depending on the season. Then I change into work shoes at the office. The work shoes last WAAY longer that way; in fact, they never seem to wear out! I keep two pairs of work shoes on top of a box under my desk.

For walking, I find that fit and comfort trump brand name. My current walking shoes are Columbia shoes with Vibram soles. I got them on sale for C$60 about five years ago and they are still good. They look similar to these (but I think mine are better than any of their current models):

http://www.columbia.com/womens-redmond-waterproof-BL3947.html?cgid=footwear-women-hiking&dwvar_BL3947_variationColor=030#start=7

Thanks for the suggestion.  I haven't tried Columbia before, and it's been a while since I've had a pair of shoes with Vibram soles.  I usually see Vibram on work boots.  Does the tread pattern on your pair look similar to the pattern on the pair shown on the linked page?

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 04:15:05 AM »
I use Puma brand "Liga" indoor soccer shoes as my daily walking shoes.  They are incredibly sturdy leather shoes that are very comfortable if you use some soft foam insoles.  I have had two pairs of them so far and each pair has lasted over a year with consistent daily use.

Old-school rubber sole, and inexpensive.  Looks like a potential option for a "burner" shoe.  Thanks!

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 04:17:13 AM »

Maybe this is nuts, but: have you tried Chacos? They're not very pretty sandals, but they're very comfortable once you finagle the straps, they have a nice footbed, and they have extremely sturdy soles that they are known for repairing for free or cheap (I had mine repaired for free). They'll last forever.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm just not a sandal person.  Something about open-toed shoes drives me nuts. But I'll keep that brand in mind for my son and my wife, both of whom wear sandals all the time.  Thanks!

NCby2023

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »
Be careful with buying shoes at the outlet stores. I know with clothes and purses they manufacture a lower quality product to sell at outlets. It is no longer just over stock or slight defects like it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 10:43:50 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I haven't tried Columbia before, and it's been a while since I've had a pair of shoes with Vibram soles.  I usually see Vibram on work boots.  Does the tread pattern on your pair look similar to the pattern on the pair shown on the linked page?

CORRECTION! I can't believe I mixed this up. My current shoes are MERRELLS and the old previous pair were Columbia. (So... those Columbia shoes were purchased 12-13 years ago, so you wouldn't find anything similar today.)

OK, so now that I'm looking for the correct brand, I found the correct shoe. This is it:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-ventilator/16258W.html

The tread on my current Vibram soles (Merrell) is identical to the pink/black tread seen in this photo (but my shoes have black soles):

http://cdn.outdoorgearlab.com/photos/12/6/242090_29053_XL.jpg

The little oval features in the middle of the heel and toe sections have worn almost smooth, but there is still tons of tread left, all over. It's an excellent long-lasting sole.

Again, sorry for the lack of attention to important details! I hope this is helpful.

P.S. Here is a version of the same shoe for men

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:36:26 AM by centwise »

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »

CORRECTION! I can't believe I mixed this up. My current shoes are MERRELLS and the old previous pair were Columbia. (So... those Columbia shoes were purchased 12-13 years ago, so you wouldn't find anything similar today.)

OK, so now that I'm looking for the correct brand, I found the correct shoe. This is it:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-ventilator/16258W.html

The tread on my current Vibram soles (Merrell) is identical to the pink/black tread seen in this photo (but my shoes have black soles):

http://cdn.outdoorgearlab.com/photos/12/6/242090_29053_XL.jpg

The little oval features in the middle of the heel and toe sections have worn almost smooth, but there is still tons of tread left, all over. It's an excellent long-lasting sole.

Again, sorry for the lack of attention to important details! I hope this is helpful.

P.S. Here is a version of the same shoe for men

Great, thank you so much for taking the time to show me those details.  I'll be on the lookout for those Merrells.

LeighinCT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
I'm a nurse. I walk miles during a busy shift. I swear by my Dansko clogs. They are pricey and take some getting used to (the base support is wood). But, I love them. They don't get squishy and lose their spring the way that athletic shoes do. I feel like they are boosting me up and supporting my foot. They are not for everyone but I know many RNs and chefs (people who spend a lot of time on their feet) who swear by them. And they last for years. I'm currently on year 5 of my favorite pair.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:45:52 PM by LeighinCT »

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 04:30:03 AM »
I'm a nurse. I walk miles during a busy shift. I swear by my Dansko clogs. They are pricey and take some getting used to (the base support is wood). But, I love them. They don't get squishy and lose their spring the way that athletic shoes do. I feel like they are boosting me up and supporting my foot. They are not for everyone but I know many RNs and chefs (people who spend a lot of time on their feet) who swear by them. And they last for years. I'm currently on year 5 of my favorite pair.

Thanks, LeighinCT.  Do you have any issues with the fact that they don't lace up?  I find that when I wear any type of slip-on shoe, they move around on my foot too much to do any serious walking in them.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 06:25:31 AM »
I see you said you have Sketchers. I find the Sketchers Go Walk shoes amazing for (not surprisingly) walking.

LeighinCT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 06:35:49 AM »
I have not encountered the slipping problem but I will say walking in the Danskos takes getting used to. You could try out a pair in a store. I wear SmartWool socks in them year round. They have good cushioning and are breathable. I know the shoes are available in wider widths. They might also have narrow widths available.