Author Topic: Recommendations for a decent boxed white wine?  (Read 19194 times)

InDeepDooDoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Recommendations for a decent boxed white wine?
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
I want to put my husband and I on a strict alcohol allowance as part of some serious belt-tightening.  I'm shooting for $50/month (current spending is running $150-$180/month).  For $50 I think we can get a bottle of vodka to share (we already have a decent cheapo version that we use since neither of us drinks it straight), a boxed red wine for hubbie and a boxed white wine for me.  My husband sometimes buys a Franzia red which is drinkable enough for him.  The problem is that I don't have a good boxed white wine to fall back on.  I am not a wine snob, but I do like to drink a wine that doesn't make me wince.  Any recommendations for a boxed Pinot Grigio -- something that runs $20 for 3 litres?  I often drink Cavit, or Ecco Domani if it's on sale.  I don't like Barefoot (this would be in the wince category for me).

I've searched for recommendations and the following have come up:

Fish Eye
Bandit
Bota Box
Folonari

Any thoughts on these? 

kh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Recommendations for a decent boxed white wine?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
Bota Box is great, and their whites are better than their reds.  I'm partial to their Chardonnay, which I keep around for drinking and cooking.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN

shusherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:57:42 AM »
Fish Eye is perfectly good stuff.  I just finished a box of the white and had no complaints.

InDeepDooDoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
Thanks, this is helpful!  Unfortunately, Costco and Trader Joe's can't sell beer and wine in our state (MD).  We're at the mercy of our state/county liquor outlets.  Prices can be competitive but the selection is often limited.  I guess I better check to see what they offer.  There are lots of beer/wine shops but prices tend to be higher. 

InDeepDooDoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
Ok, I see our county liquor store is running monthly specials on 2 brands of boxed wine.  Sale ends Tuesday, 5/28.

There's Black Box  for $19.49 and Bota Box for $18.99.  I read some good reviews for Black Box, but list price was higher than $20 so I didn't put in on my initial set of options.  Should I jump on the sale and get Black Box or go with Bota Box?  I guess I'd rather choose one that I can live with and just stick to it.  I know I'm being a bit skittish, but since we are living with a new "use what you have" rule, I don't want go through the entire month of June just COOKING with whatever brand I pick!  ;)

Any thoughts on the reds for either Black Box or Bota Box?  How might they compare to Franzia?

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Drink less but better quality. Buy 3 bottles $25 wine (I know it's $25 over budget), drink two and save one. After 5 -7 years, you can start drinking from the first bottle you saved (instant $50-100 wine). For a great vintage (e.g. back in 2005), buy enough to last you 5 years (at rate of 2 bottles a month for a total of 10 cases of wine, but drink only 1 per month); on each month thereafter, you can use the left over budget of 1 bottle to get something. After 5 years you will have 5 cases of wine still remaining from your initial purchase. You can drink all the 5 cases yourself over the next 5 years or drink half and sell the other half to cover (likely) the entire purchasing cost of the 10 cases you bought 5 years ago. If you know what you are doing you will likely never really spend any money on wine, but still be able to enjoy great wine on a regular basis.

An old colleague of mine has been doing this for years. He has been for years essentially drinking $50-100 bottle wines on a regular basis for free.

Bostonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
I drink Bota Box regularly, but I go for the reds (mostly Malbec, sometimes Shiraz).  I like Black Box , but it's about 30% more expensive and not noticeably more delicious, IMO.  I've had Sauvignon Blanc in both brands and enjoyed them, but again, I'm more of a red drinker.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Franzia is (IMO) crap.  I wouldn't make sangria with it.  We buy a lot of box wine because it is extremely convenient for camping trips and when you want a glass or two.  Opening an actual bottle of wine is an "occasion" type thing for us.

Bota makes what we think is hands down the best red in a box: "Redvolution."  It is their own proprietary blend and it beats the heck out of the other boxed reds we have tried.  Otherwise, reds from Bota, Black Box and Fish Eye are usually reliable.  If you like Australian shiraz, Banrock Station offers a nice one in the box.

Whites are usually reliable from Bota, Black Box and Fish Eye, but some have more varietal character than others.  Chardonnay in general makes me go a big, floppy wobbler, but Black Box and Bota's are decent.  We like the Moscato from Fish Eye and the Riesling from Bota.  Black Box used to have a Snake River riesling that was really good, but it may have been a one time deal since I have not seen it in a while.

When you buy box wines, look carefully at sell by dates.  Unlike bottled wines, box wines do not keep forever and I pay close attention to freshness when I buy.  Older stuff tends to lose distinct flavors and sometimes tastes oxidized.

InDeepDooDoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »
Franzia is (IMO) crap.  I wouldn't make sangria with it. 

LOL -- sounds like I'll win back a few brownie points by upgrading him to a better boxed red, after having crimped his quantity consumed!

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »
I drink Bota Box Pinot Grigio.  Love it. 

I've tried black box and didn't like it. 

Badger Mountain red wine is good