Author Topic: Recommendations for a coffee table  (Read 2488 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Recommendations for a coffee table
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
Hey,

So when I bought my house, I was gifted most of my furniture (dinner table, couches, and more). The main thing I don't have that I need to get is a coffee table. Anyone have any recommendations on the best places to get a coffee table. I haven't anything on craig's list that I like.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: Recommendations for a coffee table
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:00:09 PM »
We got one from NextDoor. It's actually a wide storage ottoman, but the top is reversible so that one side is padded and the other is wood. (Better for eating on. Sometimes we feed the kids and put them to bed and have second dinner :-).Also better for folding laundry on--particularly good for this purpose as it has more surface area than a regular coffee table.)

If you are not handy enough to build one, keep trying Craigslist or Nextdoor if you have it, or thrift stores. You could always refinish or paint. Something good will turn up eventually if you are patient.

A coffee table is not, of course, a necessity. We went without one for a couple of years because our toddlers thought it was a launch pad. Still don't have one in the upstairs living room (the reading area), just in the basement TV room. So you can afford to be patient!

Of if you get super-impatient after checking all the Goodwills, see if your area has an upscale home consignment store. Good luck!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Goodwill

Flea markets

Antique stores (paying a relatively large amount for "buy it for life"-type stuff is mustachian too).

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
What they said.

There's a lot to be said for 'seasonal' dumpster diving, and knowing something about the ebb and flow of furniture....when colleges clear out for the summer....anything that fits in a small room often ends up at the curb.

If you need higher end stuff, garage sales in the 'richer' part of town, and go late in the day on Sunday....they don't want it, they don't know what to do it, and your nice smiling face looks like salvation to them.

I've had people just give me stuff at 4pm on a Sunday as they didn't want to cart it all back in their garage.