Author Topic: recommendations for a cell phone  (Read 5230 times)

nein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
recommendations for a cell phone
« on: October 19, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
I'm basically looking for something I could possibly get on ebay second hand, reliable, can take some abuse (I am a bit hard on stuff), 50 bucks and under. I really don't know much about phones. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have no idea of what phone to get, I'm just looking for a simple reliable phone that I will use for a long time. I just need it for calls, maybe to send and receive texts, but that's not important. I'd like to be able to swap out batteries (or remove the battery entirely).

I used to have a smartphone (I currently have no phone, smartphone is no longer with us), I did like being able to use mapping in terms of locating places, finding a gas station, or getting unlost, or figuring out bus routes, etc but I really don't want the other features (mail, facebook,etc) I don't need to be accessible 24/7. A smartphone would be nice, but I think I'll be ok with a dumbphone. I just need the calling feature (and to send and receive texts if people don't want to call).

I've read some of the posts in this forum, I'm not picky whether I end up with a CDMA type plan or GSM plan, it sounds like I can go either way, I live in a city, so every plan works (some better than others, but they all seem accessible). My usage will be variable, basically around holidays and if am looking for a place to live, a new job (probably late winter/early spring, but I might start sooner), etc, I will need more minutes, and I would like to be able to make calls when I'm away from home or wifi, typically I don't make many calls, I don't have my old cell bills, but I'm guestimating about 1-3 hours (so I guess ~200 min) of phone calls a month for typical usage (it depends how long my folks talk, I think the average is about 1.5 hours per month), then it will spike periodically. I'm thinking I may go prepaid to start. And if it just looks like a month to month plan is better I'll go with that, I don't want a contract.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:18:44 PM by nein »

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
Re: recommendations for a cell phone
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »
I use republic wireless and love it.  Ting is also something you might look into.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »
Aio is the new ATT mvno. Looks pretty good to me, but probably more phone than you need.

jawisco

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »
I have a droid 2 Global that I bought on ebay for $35.  I have it on Selectel.  For $95/year I get 2000 minutes and 1500 texts and about 25 web pages/day (and 50 emails a day) worth of cell data.

This is plenty for me and I get all the joys of owning a smartphone - MP3 player, maps with GPS, apps, decent camera - it is basically a small computer with me. 

I needed to set the phone to update only on WIFI and I also only download apps on WIFI and try to download google maps ahead of time before travelling out of area. 

It is a lot of value for total of $130/year 1st year costs.  No taxes, no contract, verizon coverage with free roaming.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:23:31 PM by jawisco »

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »
You might find this thread helpful. If you're feeling adventurous and have some time on your hands, The Superguide has tons of information. Just the first few posts from I.P. Daley will probably answer a lot of your questions.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
Blackberry 9700 with latest OS5.  Fantastic battery life, great sound clarity, great music mp3 player... super simple to use and great for text.  Also you can get them dirt cheap now... unlocking them is free now to so you can use them with tons of prepaid carriers.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 12:22:39 AM »
Why don't you get something like this? http://www.nokia.com/nz-en/support/product/100/

They're only like $25 or something and are reliable with good battery life.

I'm using one of these http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_x1_00-3853.php

It's very good, has a lot of features, and the batteries last for at least 3 weeks. I brought a nokia 100 when I was on holiday in a third world country as they were very cheap to replace the X1 when it crapped out.

I reckon Nokia make the best cheap phones. Just get the cheapest nokia you can get, you won't be upset when it breaks as you hardly spent any money on it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:21:03 AM »
You might find this thread helpful. If you're feeling adventurous and have some time on your hands, The Superguide has tons of information. Just the first few posts from I.P. Daley will probably answer a lot of your questions.

I reckon Nokia make the best cheap phones. Just get the cheapest nokia you can get, you won't be upset when it breaks as you hardly spent any money on it.

Best advice in the thread. You'll be best served following that if you're looking for a good, solid, cheap, serviceable cellphone. It'll land you solidly in the GSM camp for providers, however, as Nokia doesn't produce CDMA feature phones.

I'm basically looking for something I could possibly get on ebay second hand, reliable, can take some abuse (I am a bit hard on stuff), 50 bucks and under.
I don't want a contract.

republic wireless

*facepalm*
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:23:08 AM by I.P. Daley »