Author Topic: Recommendations for 150k car service?  (Read 9087 times)

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Recommendations for 150k car service?
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
Hello fellow Mustachians.

My car turned over to 150k miles last February. It's at about 153k now. I was thinking of having it serviced at the oil change in February. They always come out in the midst of the oil change and recommend this or that. This time, however, they recommended $4,000 worth of work. I laughed and said, "Well, it's obviously untrue that it suddenly needs all that, or I'm sure some of it would have come up during the last oil change." The service tech had no response, really, other than that these repairs should be done, or disaster might strike me. I'm sure they just wanted the estimated service to exceed the value of the car, so that I would think I needed a new one. Joke's on them! I'm a Mustachian!

Needless to say, I'm only going to use that dealership for oil changes, which come cheaper there than at most other places around here. I'll probably go to a Jiffy Lube or something similar for service and repairs.

I still feel like I should have something serviced, but I know little about cars. It's a 1999 Nissan Altima. I've had it for, oh, about 8 years. I put maybe 12,000 miles on it a year. I was thinking maybe a new fuel filter and a new oil filter. I had them do the air filter when they changed the oil, but that was the only one of their $4k recommendations I took. I also think maybe a wheel alignment? 

This car runs great, and I love it. What, if anything else, would you recommend I have serviced? I got a list of the repairs the dealership has done over the years, so I can compare that to your recommendations, so things don't get done twice. I can post it if you like.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Recommendations for 150k car service?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
If the fuel filter is replaceable (many aren't now), that should have a maintenance interval listed with the other stuff.  If you're keeping up with the recommended maintenance in the owners manual (you did the timing belt and water pump around 100k I hope), the only extras I'd do that tend to not be listed and are never done are replacing the power steering and brake fluids.

I wouldn't worry about an alignment unless your steering wheel wobbles at highway speeds or your tires tend to wear unevenly (inside more than outside or vice versa).  And if the latter is the case usually they'll point it out to you when you get the tires replaced.

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:30:05 AM »
What was on the 4k list of services they recommended?

As already said, the timing belt is the main item that needs to be replaced at a specific interval. And usually the waterpump is replaced at the same time because it's relatively inexpensive and easy to do while replacing the timing belt. The timing belt controls the valves on the head, and if the belt breaks while the engine is on, the valves can come in contact with the pistons and cause major damage.

Other things they may have recommended on that list may require replacement, but only if they are in poor condition, tie rod ends, shocks, brakes, wheel bearings, but you can inspect all of those yourself to determine if they are pulling your leg or they are honestly worn out.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:36:58 AM »
Try to get a mechanic you really trust to look at it. I always go into the oil change price and they come out with a list of $1000+ of repairs that should be done. I ignore all of them and bring it to a guy I know is honest. The only downside is that the honest mechanics get booked for months at a time.

Fun story: my mom went to the Honda dealership to get brakes put on. The lady came out with a STAGED screwed up rotor. Yes, you read that right. They brought out a busted up rotor THAT DIDN'T COME FROM HER CAR just to try to sell her a new one. So just take these places with a grain of salt.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:31:34 AM »
https://www.driverside.com/service-schedule/nissan-altima-1999-2761-5925-0

I would check the factory recommended maintenance schedule to see what is due.  I recommend checking from the mileage at where you bought your car (or the last mileage where all maintenance was up to date). Gear oil has a service life, often coolant, timing belts or chain tensioners, etc.