Author Topic: Recommendation for "dumb" phone with qwerty keyboard?  (Read 8200 times)

cheddarpie

• Stubble
Recommendation for "dumb" phone with qwerty keyboard?
« on: December 09, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »
I'm hoping to make the leap away from a smart phone in the interest of tempering my internet addiction. I am currently on T-mobile ($40/mo no contract), but it seems they no longer sell "dumb" phones.

I want a phone with a qwerty keyboard and a cheap, reliable, unlimited phone/text plan. Any specific suggestions?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Recommendation for "dumb" phone with qwerty keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
QWERTY feature phones are a dying and rare breed these days, and so you'd probably be better served shopping used than new.

If you care nothing about internet or email access, an old Nokia Symbian s60 handset with 3G GSM 850/1900 support would probably work well.

As for needing an "unlimited" plan, there is no such thing, and nobody needs unlimited anything anyway.

Figure out what you actually need (do the math and check usage numbers), shop around, and then pay for what you actually need. US Mobile is a good option for limited plans with T-Mobile only access with no roaming. However, if you somehow do need talk and text time in excess of 1500 minutes (read 25 hours of talk time) and "unlimited" texts with zero data, Airvoice Wireless which uses the AT&T network without roaming has an "unlimited" talk and text plan with 100MB of data (useful for sending/receiving MMS messages) for $20 a month, though their definition of "unlimited" is nebulous as it is with everyone. Same deal with H2O Wireless' EasyGo Wireless down to the network and the nebulous fime print. Figure your abuse threshold these days is around 2000 minutes and around 2500 texts... which is a ridiculous quantity well above national averages for everyone but road warrior truck driver types and sales people who live on the phone.

By the way, all this stuff has already been covered in great detail on the guide stickied here in the forums (unabridged here).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:26:49 PM by I.P. Daley »

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »
Not exactly a "dumb" phone, but the Samsung Epic 4g was a great slide out keyboard phone.

https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-epic-4g-sprint/review/

I had one for many years (and still do, just don't use it much) before upgrading to the S4. Was a tough choice to give up the keys...

Greenly Spirits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 04:10:59 PM »
Not a dumb phone, but I have a Kyocera Rise. It was $20 and using internet on it sucks :)
I wanted a slide out keyboard and the ability to call, text, and use What's App (which needs data) and have it fit in my wallet. We use Ting.com, so I don't know anything about unlimited plans.

SimpleGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I have a Samsung Evergreen, although it goes by other names.  It's cheap, has a qwerty keyboard, and has been reliable (I've had it for 3-4 years).  The keyboard is a bit cramped and the keys are stiff, however, which makes typing slow.  It's not going to wow you, but it gets the job done and has a few nice extras like alarms, timers, etc. 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »
I have a Samsung Evergreen, although it goes by other names.  It's cheap, has a qwerty keyboard, and has been reliable (I've had it for 3-4 years).  The keyboard is a bit cramped and the keys are stiff, however, which makes typing slow.  It's not going to wow you, but it gets the job done and has a few nice extras like alarms, timers, etc.

Thanks! What provider/plan do you use?

SimpleGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:39:07 AM »

Thanks! What provider/plan do you use?

I use TracFone's pay as you go.  When I bought the phone I got double or triple minutes for the life of the phone.  Since I don't talk on the phone a lot and the minutes carry over, it only costs about $9/month.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 10:27:22 AM »
it only costs about $9/month*

*For 60-90 minutes of airtime with 30 days service with double or triple minutes for life on the device, otherwise only 30 minutes a month.

Such an unbeatable deal! Now if only there were cheaper options out there with better support departments, better terms of service, greater credit usage flexibility, no hidden fees, and better BYOD and unlock policies for those prices or usage levels...

*cough*
H2O Wireless
Airvoice Wireless
Puretalk USA
Liberty Wireless
US Mobile
Truphone SIM

darknight

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 10:52:06 AM »
Hands down, two of my favorite phones that I often consider going back to
LG Octane and enV3. Seriously tough, battery lasts for days on end, 3.2 mp cam (I know, not great but actually decent quality for a little phone), take micro sd cards for music, photos.. Just well rounded, cheap phones.
https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-LG-VX9200-Contract-QWERTY/dp/B004IS1PBS   $25ish

the nicer one $80. I love this phone. seriously tough phones.
https://www.amazon.com/VERIZON-LG-OCTANE-CELL-PHONE/dp/B007PWGO4W/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1482427278&sr=1-6&keywords=octane+lg