Author Topic: Recommend Your Washing Machine  (Read 1784 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Recommend Your Washing Machine
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:55:09 PM »
Please recommend your front-loading washer. Background: My washing machine just died. I've been reading reviews of possible replacements and everything under $800 new (my budget) looks like it may fail to run out of the box. I want something reliable that can handle long-term regular use. We live in a small urban condo so we're limited to a stackable front-loader. Recommendations?

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
Re: Recommend Your Washing Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:30:44 AM »
 This doesn't answer your question, but SpeedQueen brand. Made in America. We have a top-loader with basic "turn dial" controls [ not electronic] - has worked great for many years.  Putting this answer here for those who have the room for side by side washer and dryer. If Speedqueen offers a stackable, i'd say consider it.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 06:34:46 AM »
Also a Speed Queen fan.

Stackable don’t have to be front loaders. Get whatever has the fewest electronics to fail.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 06:40:52 AM »
Stackable don’t have to be front loaders.

The big drawback of front loaders is that the rubber gasket around the opening gets disgustingly black unless you leave the door open to dry it out in between loads. In a small space that's unattractive and/or awkward.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 07:31:02 AM »
Another fan of SpeedQueen. I have a top load though. I do not want to have to deal with the planned obsolescence, so the fewer electronics the better.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
Speed Queen top loader (they do make stacked as well). Up until Dec 31, 2019 they were offering a 10-year parts and labor warranty promo; best in the industry. Might be worth looking into to see if the promo will be extended.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
My Consumer Reports recommended Samsung front-loader has lasted 7 years. I recently put a kill-a-watt on it and it's let me see how often the tenants use it, at 0.1kwh/load. They do 1.25 loads/day (!). They must be small loads but wtf?!?

Washers are supposed to last about 5000 loads on average so it has about 4 years left at that rate.

With tariffs, sadly, it's probably more than $800.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »
My front-load washer came from Facebook Marketplace and cost $75. Had it four years now and it's still going strong. I really recommend watching the secondary markets, people get rid of washer/dryers ALL THE TIME, and for dirt cheap... last minute moves where they can't take them or don't need them at their new place, or the washer/dryer dies and they are replacing them both with a fancy new set, etc. Even if it doesn't last you a decade, four years of use for $75 has more than paid for itself at this point.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 07:37:34 AM »
Hi again,
I looked at stackable/front-loading Speed Queens. They are $1,700 with tax, delivery, install. Is there anything comparable in $800 range? (I don't have a truck or crew of movers so Craigslist isn't good option).

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
We will never again buy a front loader the gasket gets nasty and stink. You have to leave the door open and we had to leave the detergent tray open as well so it gets enough ventilation. Maybe someday they will fix it but for now it seems like they all have that issue.

Check if you have enough room to leave the door open when not washing laundry.

We have wanted to get rid of our front loader for a couple of years but are too cheap but it just died and we just replaced it with a top loader.

Also they do make stackable top loaders the set is about $1300 for the set whirlpool, GE and a few others make them.

Very typical setup for a condo/ apartment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
Hi again,
I looked at stackable/front-loading Speed Queens. They are $1,700 with tax, delivery, install. Is there anything comparable in $800 range? (I don't have a truck or crew of movers so Craigslist isn't good option).

It's super cheap to hire a guy with a truck to pick up the Craigslist deal. Or if you must have new, wait until the MLK/President day sales. For $800 it's hard to find a decent front loader (which won't last as long and is more expensive to fix than a top loader.)

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »
My $0.02

Never ever buy a new washer/dryer. All new appliances are junk built for planned obsolescence.

I have had great success buying 10- to 30-year-old washer/dryer on CL.

You want something that does not have a computer in it.

My family is the appliance-destroyer. Old things are the only kind that last.

I have spoken.

Bernard

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »
My philosophy in buying a washer and dryer is exactly the same as in buying a car: I avoid the stuff that breaks, and that's primarily electronics. So my washer needs to have knobs that I can turn clockwise to choose a program, but no electronic board or computer screen (now found on refrigerators). This is the stuff that will eventually malfunction and having to buy new, again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!