Author Topic: Recommend me Fridge, Washer and Dryer for my new home  (Read 2449 times)

lefty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Recommend me Fridge, Washer and Dryer for my new home
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
Looks like I have to get myself a Fridge, Washer and Dryer.

Fridge Requirements - French doors, basic is fine, energy efficient, reliable.
Washer/Dryer Requirements - Don't know if Top or Front loading is better. Basic, reliable model that doesn't rip my clothes is fine. Energy efficient.

Please send me your recommendations and I'll check it out.

Thanks.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Recommend me Fridge, Washer and Dryer for my new home
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
See if any of the dealers in your area have 'scratch n dents'

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
Are you willing to deal with used appliances? If so, you are setting yourself up for saving literally thousands.

I had an ancient washer/dryer for almost 10 years that I bought off CL for $150 total. They were great. I also don't think that newer models are really that much more efficient (someone feel free to correct me if I'm way off base, but I think the basic energy required and technology is so simple that there isn't much to improve on).

Definitely get a top-load washer - the efficiency marketing for front-loaders may be convincing, but they tend to have mold and reliability issues, whereas top-load washers run forever. I have found that older Whirlpool models are rock-solid reliable and cheap on the used market.

I just searched my local CL and found these within 30 seconds:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/app/d/2004-whirlpool-ultimate-care/6770827399.html - $150
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/app/d/white-lg-french-door/6758643920.html - $250

So, pretty darn easy to find all of what you need for $400.

Seriously, Craigslist is an absurd goldmine of perfectly working used appliances. Even if they break, you can just offload the broken ones back to Craigslist (people on there will pick up broken ones for free, repair them, and sell them again) and get another one for practically no money.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:07:56 PM by Home Stretch »

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
Are you willing to deal with used appliances? If so, you are setting yourself up for saving literally thousands.

I had an ancient washer/dryer for almost 10 years that I bought off CL for $150 total. They were great. I also don't think that newer models are really that much more efficient (someone feel free to correct me if I'm way off base, but I think the basic energy required and technology is so simple that there isn't much to improve on).

Definitely get a top-load washer - the efficiency marketing for front-loaders may be convincing, but they tend to have mold and reliability issues, whereas top-load washers run forever. I have found that older Whirlpool models are rock-solid reliable and cheap on the used market.

I just searched my local CL and found these within 30 seconds:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/app/d/2004-whirlpool-ultimate-care/6770827399.html - $150
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/app/d/white-lg-french-door/6758643920.html - $250

So, pretty darn easy to find all of what you need for $400.

Seriously, Craigslist is an absurd goldmine of perfectly working used appliances. Even if they break, you can just offload the broken ones back to Craigslist (people on there will pick up broken ones for free, repair them, and sell them again) and get another one for practically no money.
The thing about clothes washers is that as of a few years ago, even new top-loaders are required to be HE. My understanding is that in some quality/reliability -related ways, this makes them more like the HE front-loaders than like the top-loaders of old. (My brother works in appliances, so this is all second-hand info from him)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:29:13 PM by dcheesi »

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 03:21:56 PM »
Try to find a pre-2010 Whirlpool/Kenmore washing machine.  Maintained, they will last for 20 plus years.  A used Whirlpool dryer would be my choice as well.

Avoid any appliance made by Samsung.

Buy a used refrigerator if you can find one, otherwise the simplest Whirlpool side by side you can find.  Skip the French door fad and anything with electronics.  All appliances are short lived today, but you will likely have fewer problems with the basic Whirlpool.  No guarantee, but they are generally better than other brands.

lefty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »
Great!

Thanks

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »
Echoing the above...

Try to find the least-complex washer and dryer you can. No computers! The only thing I wish my dryer had is a no-heat mode, but a lot of simple ones have that too.

Fridge? I recommend a simple one, but I am a hypocrite :)
I really don't like side-by-side. It is too hard to put large things in either the fridge or the freezer. I'm willing to pay more to have ice and water in the door too, knowing that it will fail before the rest of the fridge.

A note about appliances if you have never moved them before:
Washer and dryer are pretty easy to move, you just need a vehicle big enough to fit them and a basic hand truck.
Fridges are really heavy. Have help, and a tall appliance dolly with the extra fold-out wheels. Be safe! No slick deal is worth squishing yourself under a fridge. It might be worth buying from a store so they move it into place.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
1. I can't recommend a Kitchenaid fridge.
a) We purchased ours new, seven years ago, freezer section has constant issues, (Mr. R. will remove a sheet of ice at the bottom of the freezer every few weeks) ridiculous.
b) While I love the layout the cover (lift up) for the center drawer - hinges broke, we finagled a way for it to stay but eventually, it fell out and the plastic broke.
c) The pull-out bar to open the freezer at the bottom - screw loosened and for some reason seems to be somewhat stripped now - so the bar wiggles a bit on one side.
d) The outside stainless casing actually chipped near the pull-out bar thas has come loose on one side. There is now a small piece missing!
How is that even possible?

I think even Mr. R. would not object if I asked for a new fridge but I am willing this piece of crap to live three more years. So at least we got ten years out of it - not holding my breath!

So even used - be aware of Kitchenaid:) and of course, none of these problems were covered under mfg warranty.

2. Washer and Dryer - good news, there is one brand still manufactured and repaired in the USA. "GE" - works great and mine has more bells and whistles than even I will ever use and I'm one who generally makes use of every function on a washer.
Cost hundreds less than a Samsung too.

The Samsung behemoth that our friends bought is a huge problem - parts are hard to get and repairs even harder if at all. No washer should break down within a year especially one that cost the moon.

3. I would not buy a used fridge just like I wouldn't buy a used mattress but a used washer and dryer - sure.

My advice, do your homework as to what brands do hold up nowadays, because the brands that once lasted 25 years are crap that barely last ten years. Knowing we can actually get a part so that the washer can be repaired pronto is worth a lot.
You would think that a part shipped from China or wherever wouldn't be a problem these days, but apparently (and that is based solely on friends who had issues with their "awesome Samsung tower" of a washing machine) it takes weeks to get parts and repairs - that is unacceptable in my book.

LG is the brand that all our other friends have for their kitchen appliances, consensus there - OK, but again, doesn't last much past ten years plus.

Just my five cents.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
I can tell you what not to buy. Frigidaire Gallery. We re-did our kitchen last year and bought the full package Fridge, Stove, Diswasher, Microwave and its the shit. Already had to replace Microwave, the Fridge ice make always gets jammed up and then comes flying out and makes a mess. The stove already lights have burned out. Literally crap!

lefty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
Oh man!!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 02:58:47 AM »
Looks like I have to get myself a Fridge, Washer and Dryer.

Fridge Requirements - French doors, basic is fine, energy efficient, reliable.
Washer/Dryer Requirements - Don't know if Top or Front loading is better. Basic, reliable model that doesn't rip my clothes is fine. Energy efficient.

Please send me your recommendations and I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Do you really need a dryer? They're quite high-cost to run, while all you really need is air+time (both free!). If you have kids who are on never-ending cycles of vomiting and pooping, a dryer will probably be a life-saver though.

On fridges, I can't tell you much. As for washing machines: energy efficiency and decibels should be listed online, easy to compare. If it's not listed, you probably won't like it...

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 06:22:29 AM »
The newer appliances are oversized, overpriced and poorly made plastic trash.  The advice to buy used on CL is the way to go for sure.  I have tried to sell appliances on CL and nobody wants them.  You have to give them away even if only a couple years old.

If you are foolishly determined to buy new, I recommend Sears Outlet for 40% savings on new junk with tiny scratches you can't even see.  And they are all the same for reliability - it is a crap shoot, so just get what looks best to you.

lefty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 06:36:19 AM »
That is a great idea.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
The newer appliances are oversized, overpriced and poorly made plastic trash.  The advice to buy used on CL is the way to go for sure.  I have tried to sell appliances on CL and nobody wants them.  You have to give them away even if only a couple years old.

If you are foolishly determined to buy new, I recommend Sears Outlet for 40% savings on new junk with tiny scratches you can't even see.  And they are all the same for reliability - it is a crap shoot, so just get what looks best to you.

40 percent off is the same price you can get for a new, undented appliance from a big box or competitively priced appliance store during their big sales that happen several times a year.  The so-called Black Friday sale lasted most of November.  There will be a couple of short sales in the spring, then Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day.  Other weeks are often 35 percent off list.  I buy a lot of appliances for rentals and try when ever possible to buy during those sales. 

CL is much less useful than Nextdoor for buying and selling household stuff.

All appliances are garbage today.  Some garbage stinks more.  Avoid Samsung and Frigidaire.