Author Topic: Recommend me a tractor...  (Read 4956 times)

Holyoak

• Bristles
Recommend me a tractor...
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:46:38 AM »
Although I used to push mow nearly 2 acres for a rental I resided in, a potential new home purchase that sits on a flat 2 acres, with a long drive, and huge garden is calling for a tractor.  Thinking I would also like the ability to have a snow blade, and even do garden work with it (till/break up ground), but cutting the 2 acre lawn will be the primary task at hand.  I have had your typical 46" garden style tractor, and have some experience on a much larger scale with an IH 454.  How about something in between?  Seems Kubota are really nice, fuel efficient, reliable...  But expensive.

Been so long, I really don't know what's out there, and I appreciate your help be it new or used.  Thanks.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Recommend me a tractor...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »
I have a 30HP Yanmar (its called an FX28D) 4 wheel drive diesel with a front end loader (FEL) , I have a brush hog (for field mowing) a 60 wide tiller and a box blade. I also have a set of forks I designed and welded up for the FEL that clip on real quick. It is equipped with ag tires.

Needless to say this is a VERY useful tool!

In your case you have a bit of a conflict in what your trying to do. I.e if your going to mow a lawn then you really don't want ag tires as they will tear up the grass if it remotely wet. Then again if you want to run a tiller you really need ag tires I would thing to give you the grip.. maybe you would get away with turf tires with a tiller.. I've never tried.

Yes Kubotas are very expensive, as are JD's, Fords etc. I have been delighted with the Yanmar.. its a grey import but cost about half what the equivilent Kubota would be.. But of course, getting parts can be a lengthy endeavour.. fortunately its been very reliable.

We also have a 46" wide lawn tractor and to be honest its a better tool for mowing flat grass.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
Oh most all diesel tractors are very fuel efficient, primarily because they are not making much power almost all of the time.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the help, I see the logic in your post.  Here is a killer looking 24hp Yanmar setup; Blade, mower deck, snowblower, FEL attachments, vac, different tires...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221740664660?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wonder what fair value on this auction is?  I see that the accessories are not included, but extra.

Ishmael

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 03:50:05 AM »
I've got about 8 acres to contend with, including mowing a couple of times a year, lots of snow clearing, and hobby-farm style gardening, and after researching and thinking for the past 5 years I finally took the plunge and just ordered a BCS walk-behind tractor (with sickle bar mower, tiller and rotary plow, and a snow blower to come later, and I have an existing utility trailer that I should be able to modify pretty easily).

http://www.bcsamerica.com/tractors/
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4vQfIr78E

They have a fantastic reputation, and although not cheap are one of those things I'm considering a BIFL-type purchase. They can basically do anything a large farm tractor can do, but on a smaller scale (and much smaller cost). And you can ride on them for mowing, they have a riding sulky you can attach. Kind odd looking at first, but watch some videos on youtube.

Just an idea that you might not have heard/thought about.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
We have two acres and are building a Permaculture type environment.  We do have some typical garden areas but also a lot of things growing throughout the yard.  A regular tractor would be overkill and also just not fit in many of our tree filled areas.  My husband learned of the bcs walk behind through the sustainable horticulture program he is attending. Then he saw one in action at a small farm tour and fell in love.  We'll be buying one once we get the money saved up.  In the meantime we are using a  John deer riding lawnmower (the type sold at Lowe's) that we found on craigs list for a few hundred to keep the grass mowed.  We are using a cheap Roto tiller that we've had for many years to help prepare garden beds.  Any other tractor type work is currently being done by hand or with our minivan.  We can't wait to get the bcs and simplify!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »
Thanks for the help, I see the logic in your post.  Here is a killer looking 24hp Yanmar setup; Blade, mower deck, snowblower, FEL attachments, vac, different tires...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221740664660?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wonder what fair value on this auction is?  I see that the accessories are not included, but extra.

That is a pretty lighweight machine.. 700lbs lift on the FEL is small but maybe good enough for what you want it for. I have no idea what its worth, or even if it is a grey import or not.

I would do some research on it.

My tractor is a much bigger machine, but maybe overkill for what you need.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »
You could post over on http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/

List the jobs you expect to do, take the resulting recommendations and compare new vs used in your area.

Myself, I've got a kubota B3030 FTL with BH75 backhoe, I got it used with <400hrs. I'd like add a box blade and a mechanical thumb.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:17:37 PM by swiper »

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »
Tractors that are properly cared for will last pretty much forever. I still have my great grandpa's Farm-all model A which was bought new around the end of world war 2. So I would definitely recommend shopping used. Tractor use is measured in engine hours not miles. check out tractorhouse.com, its kind of the autotrader of farm equipment. Craigslist is also a good place. You can pick up a good quality older tractor for a few thousand dollars.  Just look for one that is well maintained with low hours. Also not sure where you live but do some online searches for farm equipment auctions in your area.

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:34:47 AM »

In your case you have a bit of a conflict in what your trying to do. I.e if your going to mow a lawn then you really don't want ag tires as they will tear up the grass if it remotely wet. Then again if you want to run a tiller you really need ag tires I would thing to give you the grip.. maybe you would get away with turf tires with a tiller.. I've never tried.

There are hybrid tires available. If the tractor is going to be your all purpose machine then you might look into those. With just 2 acres you probably aren't doing a ton of tilling so maybe just look into some tractor weights for the occasional times that you do tilling. More weight = more traction.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
Yard tractors can easily get get into marketing hype territory.

"John Deere - friends don't let friends drive red tractors"
"Kubota - Diesel everything is better"
"Zero radius is the only way to go"
"Restore old iron, it lasts forever!"

You have a 2 acre lot. Its big(ish) but IMO not tractor-worthy. I think you need a facepunch.

Go to Sears and get their cheapest lawn tractor with a decent (B&S) engine. For $1000 you will be cutting grass for the next 5 years. Unless you are tilling fields and augering fenceposts  every week, you are what is called a 'gentleman farmer' and as such you have no business spending ANY money on farm equipment. You want a veggie patch? Rent a rototiller twice a year. You want to clear the snow on the driveway pick up a used snowblower for $200.

My experience (1.5 acres, semi-rural, with a creek and 400ft driveway) was that used riding mowers were junk, but new ones would last. Used snowblowers were a good value. I was able to get a sears unit with about 20HP and a 40-something inch deck and no extra features for just around $1,000. It lasted well with little maintenance. The 30", 2 stage used snowblower was used, cheap at $200, and rattled around a lot. I should have just kept paying my neighbours $15 a pop to clear the driveway with their tractor and let them handle the headache of equipment maintenance. Having a snowblower separate from the lawn tractor extended the life of both machines.

Our gardens (extensive) were all maintained by hand, and mostly eaten by wild critters. We now live in town.