Author Topic: Recommend me a snow shovel  (Read 4974 times)

mc6

• Stubble
Recommend me a snow shovel
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
The guy who owned my condo before me left a snow shovel and broom in the utility closet.  Yesterday after receiving a foot of snow outside DC I used them for the first time outside.  The shovel must've weighed 20 lbs before it even had snow on it.  Now I know why he didn't take it with him.

Got any recommendations for a particular material or shape you've had success with? 

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Recommend me a snow shovel
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:26:07 AM »
KISS... go to Walmart and buy a plastic shovel for $5. It will weigh nothing and do a great job of, um, shoveling snow.

Trust me, I live in Minnesota.

Frugal Mama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:02:53 AM »

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »
A snow shovel sled/sleigh works really well on our wet heavy snow.

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
I shovel for our apartment building, and live in MN, so have tried many types of shovels over the years! My favorite always come back to the heavy plastic blade with a wooden handle.  If you want to get fancy, you can buy a can of silicone spray and spray the blade before you shovel, to make the snow slide off easier. 

TacosForever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
I shovel for our apartment building, and live in MN, so have tried many types of shovels over the years! My favorite always come back to the heavy plastic blade with a wooden handle.  If you want to get fancy, you can buy a can of silicone spray and spray the blade before you shovel, to make the snow slide off easier.

A fellow Minnesotan thanks you for the silicone spray tip! /bows

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
The guy who owned my condo before me left a snow shovel and broom in the utility closet.  Yesterday after receiving a foot of snow outside DC I used them for the first time outside.  The shovel must've weighed 20 lbs before it even had snow on it.  Now I know why he didn't take it with him.

Got any recommendations for a particular material or shape you've had success with?

I'd say you're doing it wrong - you shovel every three inches or so at the latest.

That said, I have two snow shovels. One is a big wide pusher. It's about as wide as a push broom, heavy plastic with metal edge. Like you said about yours, it's heavy on its own, but I use it for most of my shoveling.

I also have a cheap one I bought at the grocery store - wood handle, plastic blade and plastic grip at the end of the handle. I use it on sidewalks or if the snow is too deep for the other one.

I have to admit I feel pretty bad-ass shoveling when all the other neighbors are using their snowblowers. I was a little jealous of them once this year when there was a LOT of snow to be moved.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »

This is the conclusion that I came to when I lived in northern Canada.  (Averaged 6 - 8 ft of snow each winter, had a long driveway, and my parents laughed at the idea of buying a snowblower.)  Your standard heavy duty plastic shovel/wood handle is about as good as it gets.  Weird bendy shovels, very wide shovels, heavy metal shovels . . . they all suck in comparison.

Rube

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Suncast plastic wide push shovel with metal blade and a scoop shovel with a crook in the handle (which I can't currently find). I haven't been using them lately anyway. We've had several dumplings of heart attack snow with more on the way. The snowblower is a necessity.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!