Author Topic: Recommend a credit card with no foreign transaction fee?  (Read 5776 times)

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Recommend a credit card with no foreign transaction fee?
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:53:13 AM »
I have a few trips to Canada coming up. My current credit cards have 3% foreign transaction fees... Any recommendations on credit cards that don't have this fee? I'm not a churner and usually prefer to just use the two main rewards cards I have, but I really want to avoid these fees...

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
Re: Recommend a credit card with no foreign transaction fee?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
capital one quicksilver has no foreign transaction fees, 1.5% cash back and $100 bonus after you spend $500

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:30:01 AM »
The Citibank thank you premier has 3% back on all travel including gas, no transaction fees and a fat 50,000 points bonus (equivalent to $625 in travel expenses) after you spend $3000 within the first 90 days.
There's a yearly fee but it's waived for the first year

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »
All good options listed above. BoA travel rewards is another one. Currently has a $200 bonus for $1k spend in three months. No annual fee. Points must be used against travel to get the full value of 1 cent per point.

budgetjones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »
I travel frequently and use Chase Sapphire Preferred as recommended by The Simple Dollar. At the moment they are running a 40,000 point promotion for new customers, which is worth a $500 flight, after a certain amount of charges of course. The first year is free $95 after that. I am still on my first year, but have saved over $750 on points and charge like a fiend when away and pay nothing.
 This is my affiliate link, I get 5000 points if you sign up.
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FDY7&CELL=6RKF&MSC=1520725669
If you just want to sign up without using the link just google chase sapphire and its the first link that comes up.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
We like the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard, currently offering a 40k points bonus for spending $3k the first 3 months. It earns 2.2% for points redeemed for travel expenses. The annual fee is waived the first year. No annual fee cards we like include the CapitalOne Quicksilver & BankAmericard Travel Rewards; these earn 1.5%.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
We like the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard, currently offering a 40k points bonus for spending $3k the first 3 months. It earns 2.2% for points redeemed for travel expenses. The annual fee is waived the first year. No annual fee cards we like include the CapitalOne Quicksilver & BankAmericard Travel Rewards; these earn 1.5%.

Minor correction. They changed it to a 5% back on points for travel so it's 2.111111% now. But it's still 2.22232% for a limited amount of time for existing customers, I forget how long that window is

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:30:56 AM »
Mastercard probably has the highest acceptance, very close second is VISA. Amex is a distant third, and Discover is accepted in Walmart and Esso.

If you're not into churning and want simple rather than a whole extra redemption system with restrictions, the CapOne Quicksilver is probably your best bet. They are known to check all credit bureaus rather than the usual one, in case that matters to you.

They do  a chip version, you should probably get that if you can.

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
Thanks so much! Reading the recommendations here reminded me that I have an old Capital One account I never use because it doesn't have rewards. But, they do not charge a foreign transaction fee (YAY!) and they are migrating me to the Quicksilver card with 1.5% cash back. Bummer is that they won't give me the $100 bonus for spending $500 since I'm not a new customer :(

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
I travel frequently and use Chase Sapphire Preferred as recommended by The Simple Dollar. At the moment they are running a 40,000 point promotion for new customers, which is worth a $500 flight, after a certain amount of charges of course. The first year is free $95 after that. I am still on my first year, but have saved over $750 on points and charge like a fiend when away and pay nothing.
 This is my affiliate link, I get 5000 points if you sign up.
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FDY7&CELL=6RKF&MSC=1520725669
If you just want to sign up without using the link just google chase sapphire and its the first link that comes up.

I love this card. I'm flying for free all year. :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »
Thanks so much! Reading the recommendations here reminded me that I have an old Capital One account I never use because it doesn't have rewards. But, they do not charge a foreign transaction fee (YAY!) and they are migrating me to the Quicksilver card with 1.5% cash back. Bummer is that they won't give me the $100 bonus for spending $500 since I'm not a new customer :(

You also get 20% off Uber purchases through 4/30/2016, but only for transactions paid in USD.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!