Author Topic: Recipes for green tomatoes?  (Read 3460 times)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
Recipes for green tomatoes?
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:50:31 AM »
Despite it being winter, our cherry tomato plants are still flowering, still producing fruit. However, none of it is ripening. We pick some and gradually ripen them (can take weeks; slightly shorter if we happen to have a ripe banana). It's a slow process.

Does anyone have any good recipes using green tomatoes? Note that I'm in Australia and hence don't necessarily have all of the ingredients available in the US. I'm also not interested in preserving stuff at this stage, other than keeping stuff in the fridge for a week or two.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Recipes for green tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 03:08:43 AM »
I found this recipe book http://waterworksvalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Green-tomato-recipes-s.pdf

As it's US, remember that their tablespoon is 15ml, while ours is 20ml.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:14:10 AM »
Thanks! I usually avoid US recipes because I don't know what half of the ingredients are and I hate converting from imperial to metric, but that recipe book looks less intimidating than other American recipes I've seen.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »
Green tomatoes are really good in stews. I have some leftover in the refrigerator right now.

Editing to add green tomato pie. It's a very old recipe, but all I can find online are modern ones. I make it by eye and taste myself, and it's very forgiving. The link is an American recipe:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/tomatoes/r/bl40625f.htm

Editing again, sorry. I just read though the recipe book Deborah posted, and then I saved it to my Kindle app. :-) That's a fabulous resource, and so I'll just vouch for the wonderfulness of  green tomato pie. Fried green tomatoes, too, but you said you have cherry tomatoes, which wouldn't work as well. Personally I'm going to try out that recipe for baked "fried" green tomatoes.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:27:23 AM by Rural »

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:04:24 AM »
It's been years since we were blessed with good enough crops to have lots of green tomatoes so I am drawing on memory here :)
I used to substitute them in recipes that called for eggplant (aubergine) and was happy with the results.  Sadly I don't remember exact recipes at the moment.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
Do you like pickles?  You can make a batch of pickled green tomatoes for the refrigerator and add to salads or whatever.   Sorry, I don't have a specific recipe.   If you like green salsa you can substitute green tomatoes for the tomatillos.   

As someone else mentioned you can toss in stews.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »
Fried green tomatoes are delicious.

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
Yep, fried. Slice them into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices, coat with flour, season with salt and pepper, then fry slowly on each side until crispy-brown all over. They have a great tangy flavor. I usually dip them in a little ketchup to balance out the tartness.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
Green tomato bread. Don't laugh it's fabulous. I bring in two loaves at a time to work and they are eaten by 9:30.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 03:11:04 AM »
Thanks for all of the ideas! Given a severe cold front is now passing through, I think we will be harvesting the remainder asap.