Author Topic: Recipes?  (Read 3963 times)

Cheryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Recipes?
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:04:49 PM »
MMM and several others mention dietary staples often, but let's assume I'm incompetent at this "feeding myself" thing and eating out is my absolute worst spending habit.  This habit MUST DIE.  In pursuit of that goal, I've been trying to master this arcane art of cookery.  Anyone got any recipes to share?

Ideal recipes for me would be:
 - cheap (obviously)
 - vegetarian (another goal)
 - relatively easy.  I can chop and measure and put things in pans, but I don't do much else
 - left-over friendly!  My cooking pattern at present is to cook once or twice a week then live off the leftovers for a while!  Thanks to MMM I'm dropping my tutoring business at the end of the school year, but I like my students too much to ditch mid-year and so have a very busy schedule for the next several months.

Thanks all!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »
budgetbytes.com
tons of cheap, healthy eats and special veggie/vegan section as well (tho many of their meat recipes can be easily adapted to be at least vegetarian).

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »
http://www.leannebrown.com/

Click on the FREE pdf download link on this page, left side.

Swiss Miss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »
Black beans and rice are an excellent option! Make a big mess of them and you will be eating happily for a week. Throw a little sriracha on top and life is good. Feeling decadent? A little grated cheese - hand grated by yourself of course ;)

Soups are also your friends. Pretty much any veg you like cut into cubes and thrown into a pot with just enough vegetable stock to cover it - bring it to a boil - reduce the heat to the lowest setting - cover and then once cooked either eat it chunky or blend in a blender.

My current go to soup is a wonderful Thai pumpkin soup: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/21007/thai+pumpkin+soup. It is very yummy, nutritious and you can mix and match your squash for texture and of course your budget. The red curry paste will keep for ages in the fridge.

Good luck, Cheryl! Don't fear the kitchen. I was myself a mega-craptacular cook and to the astonishment of myself and my loved ones, can now hold my own at the stove. Just persist and keep a good sense of humour.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 06:04:46 AM »
http://thugkitchen.com is a pretty great (and mildly hilarious) source for cheapish vegetarian recipes. They recently published a cook book that's also quite handy.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »
Another thing to look into is a slow cooker.  My wife and I (both vegetarian) use ours all the time.  Lentils, beans, stuff like that do great in a slow cooker, as do soups.  I don't know how much ours cost (she had it before we met) but CL tells me that you can get one secondhand for ~$20.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
the-gastropod, Thugkitchen is very cool!  Thank you.